Old 11-12-2010, 07:49 PM
Mitchell Laks

Default new cpu amd 810 Quad core (with 900 pins) some pins are bent any idea how to fix?

Hi,

I was making some pcs and after showing him how in another machine, I assigned someone to
put in a cpu and they bent some of the pins. there are about 900 !!! (around 30 rows of 30).
Now it wont install into the socket AM3.

I have tried straighting them by using a credit card (or thin new york metrocard) as a group lineup
as well as using a
lead pencil 5mm holder to straighten the indiviual tines (pins) as well as a thin mending needle.

however it still resists putting into the socket on the asus motherboard.

any other ideas on how to ease it in?

Thanks

Old 11-12-2010, 08:21 PM
Thierry Chatelet

On Friday 12 November 2010 21:49:06 Mitchell Laks wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was making some pcs and after showing him how in another machine, I
> assigned someone to put in a cpu and they bent some of the pins. there are
> about 900 !!! (around 30 rows of 30). Now it wont install into the socket
> AM3.
>
> I have tried straighting them by using a credit card (or thin new york
> metrocard) as a group lineup as well as using a
> lead pencil 5mm holder to straighten the indiviual tines (pins) as well as
> a thin mending needle.
>
> however it still resists putting into the socket on the asus motherboard.
>
> any other ideas on how to ease it in?
>
> Thanks

Did it the same way once. Look at the pins with a light source hitting them at
various angles. It will show which one are not straighten-up. When it fits on
the socket, try to exchange the CPU for a new one, (as I did).
Thierry

Old 11-12-2010, 08:35 PM
Bob Proulx

Mitchell Laks wrote:
> ... they bent some of the pins...
> there are about 900 !!!

938 pins

> Now it wont install into the socket AM3.
> however it still resists putting into the socket on the asus motherboard.
> any other ideas on how to ease it in?

There really isn't any substitute for carefully straightening the
pins. It is tedious but can be successfully accomplished. Just work
carefully and patiently. If you find yourself frustrated then pause,
take a break, and then come back to it. This is a task that requires
careful patience rather like straightening a bicycle wheel. In
addition to the techniques you described you may need to squeeze a pin
to straighten it if it is curved. A pair of flat tweezers has worked
for me for that purpose.

Be careful of electro static discharge and do not "zap" it while
trying to fix it! Also be careful of bending any individual pin too
much. It work hardens the metal and in a bad case might break off.

Side Note: Professional shops often have a metal block with the holes
drilled representing the socket holes. The holes are beveled to guide
the pins into the right locations. This type of custom made jig is
often used to straighten pins. We had several at my previous
employer.

Inspect the socket carefully. It is possible that one of the bent
pins bent one of the socket connections. If so then that may be
causing you the difficulty. The problem may now be in the socket
instead of the part. You will probably need a magnifying glass in
order to see well enough to inspect the socket pins since very little
is visible. Open and close the socket without the part in place and
look to see if there is any visible blockage of any of the pins.

Good luck!

Bob

Old 11-12-2010, 09:20 PM
Klistvud