Old 11-12-2010, 07:32 PM
Matt Simmons

Default Newbie alert: Single package from unstable

Hi, how can I install a package from unstable? (currently running testing)
For example, I know it should be something like:
# apt-get install uswsusp/unstable

However, my output is:
Reading package lists... Done

Building dependency tree******
Reading state information... Done
E: Release 'unstable' for 'uswsusp' was not found

But I konw that uswsusp has a package in unstable. Do I need to set something up in sources.list? If so, this is my current sources.list:

deb http://ftp.gtlib.gatech.edu/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
deb-src http://ftp.gtlib.gatech.edu/debian/ testing main non-free contrib

deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free

Do I add another line that just contains the same thing, but with sid or unstable? Like:
deb http://ftp.gtlib.gatech.edu/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib

deb-src http://ftp.gtlib.gatech.edu/debian/ unstable main non-free contrib

*If so, how does apt differentiate between testing and unstable when I want to install a package? Do I always need to explicitly state <package>/testing or <package>/stable?

Thank you for your time.