Old 11-12-2010, 01:39 PM
Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen

Default how to start gnome from the command line

I have just installed debian squeeze from CD-rom 1 (amd64), and from the
command line run sudo apt-get install gnome-desktop-environment.

But on booting the computer I am still dropped to a shell, and the command
startx
do not work.

How do I start gnome from the command line (and how configure debian to start
it automatically on boot?

Kjetil

--
"If you want a picture of the future - imagine a boot stamping on the
human face - forever."

George Orwell (1984)

Old 11-12-2010, 01:40 PM
Dirk Neumann

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 11:39:56 -0300
Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen <kjetil1001@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have just installed debian squeeze from CD-rom 1 (amd64), and from the
> command line run sudo apt-get install gnome-desktop-environment.
>
> But on booting the computer I am still dropped to a shell, and the command
> startx
> do not work.

Can you give more details?

> How do I start gnome from the command line (and how configure debian to start
> it automatically on boot?

Install a display-manager.

Dirk.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:42 PM
Amar Cosic

I have just installed debian squeeze from CD-rom 1 (amd64), and from the

command line run sudo apt-get install gnome-desktop-environment.

But on booting the computer I am still dropped to a shell, and the command

startx

do not work.

How do I start gnome from the command line (and how configure debian to start

it automatically on boot?

Kjetil

--

"If you want a picture of the future - imagine a boot stamping on the

human face - forever."

George Orwell (1984)

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTin1kaMOmV5atX6C1v38rr2+enFFx59kFAHC7V4t@mail .gmail.com

Did you try something like: /etc/init.d/gdm start/restart as root ?

--
Amar Ćosić

Old 11-12-2010, 02:20 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 11:39:56 -0300, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:

> I have just installed debian squeeze from CD-rom 1 (amd64), and from the
> command line run sudo apt-get install gnome-desktop-environment.
>
> But on booting the computer I am still dropped to a shell, and the
> command startx
> do not work.

"startx" should be fine.

What error did you get? Maybe a problem with your VGA card?

> How do I start gnome from the command line (and how configure debian to
> start it automatically on boot?

It should be automagically done after you installed "gnome-desktop-
environment" :-?

"/etc/inittab" should say:

***
# The default runlevel.
id:2:initdefault:
***

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-12-2010, 03:03 PM
Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen

see below.

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 15:20, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 11:39:56 -0300, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:
>
>> I have just installed debian squeeze from CD-rom 1 (amd64), and from the
>> command line run sudo apt-get install gnome-desktop-environment.
>>
>> But on booting the computer I am still dropped to a shell, and the
>> command startx
>> do not work.
>
> "startx" should be fine.
>
> What error did you get? Maybe a problem with your VGA card?

I had done
apt-get install gnome-desktop-environment

then
startx
gives an error along the lines of : "startx: unknown command."

Now I have also done
apt-get install gdm
apt-get install gnome
<wait a long time>

then, on boot gnome starts, I get a login window, do log in,
but am only given a blue screen without anything!!!

What to do?

Kjetil

Old 11-12-2010, 03:15 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 16:03:28 +0000, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 15:20, Camaleón wrote:

>> What error did you get? Maybe a problem with your VGA card?
>
> I had done
> apt-get install gnome-desktop-environment
>
> then
> startx
> gives an error along the lines of : "startx: unknown command."
>
> Now I have also done
> apt-get install gdm
> apt-get install gnome
> <wait a long time>
>
> then, on boot gnome starts, I get a login window, do log in, but am only
> given a blue screen without anything!!!
>
> What to do?

By any chance... did you install "gnome-core"?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-12-2010, 03:31 PM
Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen

see below ...

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 16:15, Camaleón <noelamac@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 16:03:28 +0000, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 15:20, Camaleón wrote:
>
>>> What error did you get? Maybe a problem with your VGA card?
>>
>> I had done
>> apt-get install gnome-desktop-environment
>>
>> then
>> startx
>> gives an error along the lines of : "startx: unknown command."
>>
>> Now I have also done
>> apt-get install gdm
>> apt-get install gnome
>> <wait a long time>
>>
>> then, on boot gnome starts, I get a login window, do log in, but am only
>> given a blue screen without anything!!!
>>
>> What to do?
>
> By any chance... did you install "gnome-core"?

don`t know. Go and see now...

Thanks, kjetil

Old 11-12-2010, 05:14 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 16:03:28 +0000, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:

[...]

> I had done
> apt-get install gnome-desktop-environment
>
> then
> startx
> gives an error along the lines of : "startx: unknown command."
>
> Now I have also done
> apt-get install gdm
> apt-get install gnome
> <wait a long time>
>
> then, on boot gnome starts, I get a login window, do log in,
> but am only given a blue screen without anything!!!
>
> What to do?

Did you install xorg or at least xinit? This is not necessarily done
automatically when you install gnome, AFAIK (to allow people to run the
X server on another computer if they want to).

--
Regards, |
Florian | http://www.florian-kulzer.eu

Old 11-12-2010, 05:49 PM
Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 15:14, Florian Kulzer
<debian-lists@florian-kulzer.eu> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 16:03:28 +0000, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> I had done
>> apt-get install gnome-desktop-environment
>>
>> then
>> startx
>> gives an error along the lines of : "startx: unknown command."
>>
>> Now I have also done
>> apt-get install gdm
>> apt-get install gnome
>> <wait a long time>
>>
>> then, on boot gnome starts, I get a login window, do log in,
>> but am only given a blue screen without anything!!!
>>
>> What to do?
>
> Did you install xorg or at least xinit? This is not necessarily done

did not do that!
next ...
kjetil

Old 11-12-2010, 06:26 PM
Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen

below ...

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 15:49, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen
<kjetil1001@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 15:14, Florian Kulzer
> <debian-lists@florian-kulzer.eu> wrote:
>> On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 16:03:28 +0000, Kjetil brinchmann Halvorsen wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>>> I had done
>>> apt-get install gnome-desktop-environment
>>>
>>> then
>>> startx
>>> gives an error along the lines of : "startx: unknown command."
>>>
>>> Now I have also done
>>> apt-get install gdm
>>> apt-get install gnome
>>> <wait a long time>
>>>
>>> then, on boot gnome starts, I get a login window, do log in,
>>> but am only given a blue screen without anything!!!
>>>
>>> What to do?
>>
>> Did you install xorg or at least xinit? This is not necessarily done
>
> did not do that!
> next ...
> kjetil

Did so. The situation now is: Finally, I am using gmail from Iceweasel
started from debian gnome. But my gnome setup is still very basic:
After login, there is basically only a blue screen. By leftclicking
the mouse, it opens a popup menu, and I could start this browser from
there. But the window do nao have any re-size icons , as usual.
There must still be something missing?

Kjetil