Old 11-12-2010, 12:51 PM
Matt Simmons

Default Nouveau and Nvidia backlight brightness

Hello,
I am running Squeeze on my laptop: a macbook pro 7,1.Most is going well, except the backlight screen brightness. Using the nouveau driver (this laptop has a 320M), it sets my max_brightness to 1025 according to /sys/.* Unfortunately, a brightness of 1025 is extremely dim, and supposedly the brightness should be more like 40,000 on this guy. Anyway, installing the NVidia proprietary driver yields strange results (download from NVidia, not debian repos), there is nothing in the folder /sys/class/backlight at all!

Kernel 2.6.32-5 amd64.

Thanks,
Matt

Old 11-12-2010, 05:16 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 08:51:39 -0500, Matt Simmons wrote:

> I am running Squeeze on my laptop: a macbook pro 7,1.Most is going well,
> except the backlight screen brightness. Using the nouveau driver (this
> laptop has a 320M), it sets my max_brightness to 1025 according to
> /sys/. Unfortunately, a brightness of 1025 is extremely dim, and
> supposedly the brightness should be more like 40,000 on this guy.
> Anyway, installing the NVidia proprietary driver yields strange results
> (download from NVidia, not debian repos), there is nothing in the folder
> /sys/class/backlight at all! Kernel 2.6.32-5 amd64.

Maybe related to this (message #25)?

pommed: brightness control no longer working on macbook pro

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-13-2010, 05:24 PM
Matt Simmons

When using the nouveau driver, there is a folder in /sys/class/backlight/nv_backlight/ which contains the max_brightness (1025) and*brightness as expected. After digging around a bit, in the kernel source I found these lines of code:

/* We do not have any information about which values are allowed, thus we used safe values**/#define MIN_LEVEL 0x158 (344 decimal)#define MAX_LEVEL 0x534 (1332 in decimal)

In the file linux/drivers/video/nvidia/nv_backlight.c (picked up from apt-get source linux-2.6)
Based on the filename and how close those numbers are to 1025, I would guess that this is the code determining my max brightness. More like hoping, than guessing really.

Can anyone provide any insight about this, perhaps? Might hacking this file with a kernel recompile change the max_brightness?
Thanks,Matt