FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-12-2010, 01:11 AM
Nate Bargmann
 
Default Second display as dedicated desktop workspace?

I had a bright idea a few days ago to add a second display to my Sid
box. Turns out that the onboard Intel VGA adapter is disabled when an
adapter is installed in the PCIE slot. As the remaining PCI slots were
full, I couldn't install a spare card, so I ordered a Startech USB2VGA
which I actually got working last night as a separate X server/display
and it does work, although a bit slowly but for my intended use, that's
not an issue.

However, I have to switch VTs to jump between the main and second X
displays. When I jump to the second display, all video on the main
display freezes and when I jump back the second screen goes blank.
Hardly ideal for wanting to run some ham radio software on the second
display separate from my main display.

What I would really like to do is have the second display tied to the
login session of the first display but as a separate workspace. In
other words, when logged in I could set it to workspace 5 while I use
1-4 on my main display. In other words, I'd like to keep a couple of
applications visible/running on the second display while I do whatever
on the first. Is such an arrangement even possible? Has no one else
thought of this before?

- Nate >>

--

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all
possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is true."

Ham radio, Linux, bikes, and more: http://n0nb.us/index.html


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20101112021111.GB19983@n0nb.us">http://lists.debian.org/20101112021111.GB19983@n0nb.us
 
Old 11-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Camaleón
 
Default Second display as dedicated desktop workspace?

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 20:11:11 -0600, Nate Bargmann wrote:

(...)

> What I would really like to do is have the second display tied to the
> login session of the first display but as a separate workspace. In
> other words, when logged in I could set it to workspace 5 while I use
> 1-4 on my main display. In other words, I'd like to keep a couple of
> applications visible/running on the second display while I do whatever
> on the first. Is such an arrangement even possible? Has no one else
> thought of this before?

I dunno how that adapter works (and it's quite expensive and low
performance! wouldn't have been better to replace your current VGA card
with a new one featuring 2 VGA outputs? :-?) but if I understood you
correctly, you are looking for a Xinerama/Dual view separate layout, what
is quiteeasy to get from one VGA card with dual outputs.

The problem I see here is to understand how Xorg sees the USB adapter and
how could you configure a dual view setup with that device or even
whether if it is possible to achieve that (I'm not sure Xorg can manage
two separate VGA adapters and join both desktops but run as independent
screens).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: pan.2010.11.12.12.37.13@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/pan.2010.11.12.12.37.13@gmail.com
 
Old 11-12-2010, 02:50 PM
Nate Bargmann
 
Default Second display as dedicated desktop workspace?

* On 2010 12 Nov 06:38 -0600, Camaleón wrote:
> I dunno how that adapter works (and it's quite expensive and low
> performance! wouldn't have been better to replace your current VGA card
> with a new one featuring 2 VGA outputs? :-?) but if I understood you
> correctly, you are looking for a Xinerama/Dual view separate layout, what
> is quiteeasy to get from one VGA card with dual outputs.
>
> The problem I see here is to understand how Xorg sees the USB adapter and
> how could you configure a dual view setup with that device or even
> whether if it is possible to achieve that (I'm not sure Xorg can manage
> two separate VGA adapters and join both desktops but run as independent
> screens).

Actually, I swerved into getting it working this morning. No, it's not
ideal, and yes, a dual head card may have been a better choice, but I
got this at a fairly reasonable price.

Anyway, I have specified all devices in xorg.conf now and have the
USB2VGA display as "Screen 1" to the right of the main display. XFCE
treats it as a separate workspace and switching workspaces on the main
display ("Screen 0") has no effect on it, exactly as I want. The only
problem is that its slowness does show when running a program that
continuously updates the screen (Fldigi) but other software does not
have a problem.

Thanks for the reply.

- Nate >>

--

"The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all
possible worlds. The pessimist fears this is true."

Ham radio, Linux, bikes, and more: http://n0nb.us/index.html


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20101112155005.GB27011@n0nb.us">http://lists.debian.org/20101112155005.GB27011@n0nb.us
 
Old 11-12-2010, 03:21 PM
Dan Ritter
 
Default Second display as dedicated desktop workspace?

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 12:37:13PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 20:11:11 -0600, Nate Bargmann wrote:
>
> (...)
>
> > What I would really like to do is have the second display tied to the
> > login session of the first display but as a separate workspace. In
> > other words, when logged in I could set it to workspace 5 while I use
> > 1-4 on my main display. In other words, I'd like to keep a couple of
> > applications visible/running on the second display while I do whatever
> > on the first. Is such an arrangement even possible? Has no one else
> > thought of this before?
>
> I dunno how that adapter works (and it's quite expensive and low
> performance! wouldn't have been better to replace your current VGA card
> with a new one featuring 2 VGA outputs? :-?) but if I understood you
> correctly, you are looking for a Xinerama/Dual view separate layout, what
> is quiteeasy to get from one VGA card with dual outputs.
>
> The problem I see here is to understand how Xorg sees the USB adapter and
> how could you configure a dual view setup with that device or even
> whether if it is possible to achieve that (I'm not sure Xorg can manage
> two separate VGA adapters and join both desktops but run as independent
> screens).

This used to be a simple matter of proper xorg configuration. I
don't know if it still applies, but basically:

Add a second "Device" section for your new adapter. Let's say
the identifier is "USBadapter".

Add a second "Monitor" section for the attached monitor.
Identifier is "Monitor2".

Add a new "Screen" section:

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Second Screen"
Device "USBadapter"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
Virtual 1280 1024 # or whatever
EndSubSection
EndSection

and finally, modify your section "ServerLayout" to add this
line:

Screen "Second Screen" RightOf "Default Screen" # or
LeftOf, or Above or Below

Restart X, and it ought to be good.

You may need to increase your default Virtual to encompass both
screens.

-dsr-


--
http://tao.merseine.nu/~dsr/eula.html is hereby incorporated by reference.
You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20101112162145.GA5054@tao.merseine.nu">http://lists.debian.org/20101112162145.GA5054@tao.merseine.nu
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:13 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org