FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-12-2010, 01:57 AM
David Jardine
 
Default tool to benchmark CPU MIPS/FLOPS

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 10:09:46AM +0800, Zhang Weiwu wrote:
> Hello. Failed to google a result (keyword: MIPS FLOPS Linux) here I ask
> in the list. Wikipedia mention MIPS (million instructions per second)
> and FLOPS (similar but calculate float point) for some of CPU
> performance indicators. Is there some tool to benchmark this in Debian?
> Thanks.

The so-called BogoMIPS are recorded every time you boot. Try

dmesg|grep Bog

to see the result. Google will probably lead you to an explanation of
what BogoMIPS are.

HTH,
David


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20101112025746.GA6826@gennes.augarten">http://lists.debian.org/20101112025746.GA6826@gennes.augarten
 
Old 11-12-2010, 02:53 AM
Zhang Weiwu
 
Default tool to benchmark CPU MIPS/FLOPS

On 11/12/2010 10:57 AM, David Jardine wrote:
> Google will probably lead you to an explanation of
> what BogoMIPS are.

Sure, I checked bogomips before posting a message to this list. I guess
it is not too relative to the original question as bogomips counts only
the instructions that does nothing. Or am I wrong?


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4CDCBA30.5080505@realss.com">http://lists.debian.org/4CDCBA30.5080505@realss.com
 
Old 11-12-2010, 06:35 AM
Stan Hoeppner
 
Default tool to benchmark CPU MIPS/FLOPS

Zhang Weiwu put forth on 11/11/2010 9:53 PM:
> On 11/12/2010 10:57 AM, David Jardine wrote:
>> Google will probably lead you to an explanation of
>> what BogoMIPS are.
>
> Sure, I checked bogomips before posting a message to this list. I guess
> it is not too relative to the original question as bogomips counts only
> the instructions that does nothing. Or am I wrong?


http://www.spec.org/cpu2006/results/cpu2006.html

--
Stan


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 4CDCEE50.7010803@hardwarefreak.com">http://lists.debian.org/4CDCEE50.7010803@hardwarefreak.com
 
Old 11-12-2010, 02:54 PM
 
Default tool to benchmark CPU MIPS/FLOPS

>
>
>
>---- Original Message ----
>From: zhangweiwu@realss.com
>To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>Subject: RE: tool to benchmark CPU MIPS/FLOPS
>Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 10:09:46 +0800
>
>> Hello. Failed to google a result (keyword: MIPS FLOPS Linux) here I
>ask
>>in the list. Wikipedia mention MIPS (million instructions per
>second)
>>and FLOPS (similar but calculate float point) for some of CPU
>>performance indicators. Is there some tool to benchmark this in
>Debian?
>>Thanks.
>>
>>
MIPS and FLOPS are artificial measurements that don't necessarily
relate to the actual applications you are running. Do a Google on
Linux Performance Testing to get a large list and select the tool or
tools that most closely match your application who's performance is
of interest.
Larry
>>--
>>To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
>>with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact
>listmaster@lists.debian.org
>>Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4CDCA1EA.2060505@realss.com
>>
>>



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 380-2201011512155438621@netptc.net">http://lists.debian.org/380-2201011512155438621@netptc.net
 
Old 11-12-2010, 02:56 PM
 
Default tool to benchmark CPU MIPS/FLOPS

>
>
>
>---- Original Message ----
>From: stan@hardwarefreak.com
>To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>Subject: Re: tool to benchmark CPU MIPS/FLOPS
>Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 01:35:44 -0600
>
>>Zhang Weiwu put forth on 11/11/2010 9:53 PM:
>>> On 11/12/2010 10:57 AM, David Jardine wrote:
>>>> Google will probably lead you to an explanation of
>>>> what BogoMIPS are.
>>>
>>> Sure, I checked bogomips before posting a message to this list. I
>guess
>>> it is not too relative to the original question as bogomips counts
>only
>>> the instructions that does nothing. Or am I wrong?
>>
>>
>>http://www.spec.org/cpu2006/results/cpu2006.html
>>
>>--
>>Stan
>>
>>
I'm also with Stan on this one. For a general performance tool the
"spec" has been proven to be very valuable.
Larry
>>--
>>To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
>>with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact
>listmaster@lists.debian.org
>>Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4CDCEE50.7010803@hardwarefreak.com
>>
>>



--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 380-2201011512155631264@netptc.net">http://lists.debian.org/380-2201011512155631264@netptc.net
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 03:54 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org