Old 11-11-2010, 11:29 PM
Gary Roach

Default All hung up over netatalk

I have a dual boot Toshiba Qosmio "laptop?" that I am upgrading from
Lenny to Squeeze. Everything worked fine (Using Aptitude) until the
installation of netatalk started; a program that I really don't need. I
get:

***

Extracting
templates from packages:
100%

Preconfiguring
packages ...

supported_versions:
WARNING: Unknown
Debian release: 5.0.6

(Reading database
... 91312 files and
directories currently installed.)

Preparing to
replace netatalk
2.0.3-11+lenny1 (using .../netatalk_2.1.2-2_i386.deb) ...

hostname: Unknown
host

invoke-rc.d:
initscript netatalk,
action "stop" failed.

dpkg: warning:
subprocess old
pre-removal script returned error exit status 1

dpkg - trying
script from the new
package instead ...

hostname: Unknown
host

invoke-rc.d:
initscript netatalk,
action "stop" failed.

dpkg: error
processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/netatalk_2.1.2-2_i386.deb (--unpack):

subprocess new
pre-removal script
returned error exit status 1

update-rc.d:
warning: netatalk stop
runlevel arguments (0 1 6) do not match LSB Default-Stop values (1)

insserv: warning:
current stop
runlevel(s) (0 1 6) of script `netatalk' overwrites defaults (1).

hostname: Unknown
host

invoke-rc.d:
initscript netatalk,
action "start" failed.

dpkg: error while
cleaning up:

subprocess
installed post-installation
script returned error exit status 1

Errors were
encountered while
processing:

/var/cache/apt/archives/netatalk_2.1.2-2_i386.deb

E: Sub-process
/usr/bin/dpkg returned
an error code (1)

A package failed to
install. Trying to
recover:

dpkg: error
processing netatalk
(--configure):

Package is in a
very bad inconsistent
state - you should

reinstall it
before attempting
configuration.

Errors were
encountered while
processing:

netatalk

Press return to
continue.

First /etc/hostname is filled in. When I
attempt to reinstall I get the same type of error and the process
aborts. When I try to remove or purge the application I get the same
result. An of course, Aptitude won't finish the upgrade installation
because of this error. I get essentially the same result with dpkg. How
can I get out of this mess. Help!

Gary R.

Old 11-12-2010, 07:52 AM
Tom H

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 7:29 PM, Gary Roach <gary719_list1@verizon.net> wrote:

> I have a dual boot Toshiba Qosmio "laptop?" that I am upgrading from Lenny
> to Squeeze. Everything worked fine (Using Aptitude) until the installation
> of netatalk started; a program that I really don't need. I get:
>
> Extracting templates from packages: 100%
>
> Preconfiguring packages ...
>
> supported_versions: WARNING: Unknown Debian release: 5.0.6
>
> (Reading database ... 91312 files and directories currently installed.)
>
> Preparing to replace netatalk 2.0.3-11+lenny1 (using
> .../netatalk_2.1.2-2_i386.deb) ...
>
> hostname: Unknown host
>
> invoke-rc.d: initscript netatalk, action "stop" failed.
>
> dpkg: warning: subprocess old pre-removal script returned error exit status
> 1
>
> dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
>
> hostname: Unknown host
>
> invoke-rc.d: initscript netatalk, action "stop" failed.
>
> dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/netatalk_2.1.2-2_i386.deb
> (--unpack):
>
> subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
>
> update-rc.d: warning: netatalk stop runlevel arguments (0 1 6) do not match
> LSB Default-Stop values (1)
>
> insserv: warning: current stop runlevel(s) (0 1 6) of script `netatalk'
> overwrites defaults (1).
>
> hostname: Unknown host
>
> invoke-rc.d: initscript netatalk, action "start" failed.
>
> dpkg: error while cleaning up:
>
> subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1

> /var/cache/apt/archives/netatalk_2.1.2-2_i386.deb

> A package failed to install. Trying to recover:
>
> dpkg: error processing netatalk (--configure):
>
> Package is in a very bad inconsistent state - you should
>
> reinstall it before attempting configuration.

> netatalk
>
> Press return to continue.
>
> First /etc/hostname is filled in. When I attempt to reinstall I get the same
> type of error and the process aborts. When I try to remove or purge the
> application I get the same result. An of course, Aptitude won't finish the
> upgrade installation because of this error. I get essentially the same
> result with dpkg. How can I get out of this mess. Help!

Take a look at the netatalk maintainer scripts in "/var/lib/dpkg/info"
to see why they are failing.

Old 11-12-2010, 06:45 PM
Gary Roach

I have a dual boot Toshiba Qosmio "laptop?" that I am upgrading from Lenny
to Squeeze. Everything worked fine (Using Aptitude) until the installation
of netatalk started; a program that I really don't need. I get:

hostname: Unknown host

First /etc/hostname is filled in. When I attempt to reinstall I get the same
type of error and the process aborts. When I try to remove or purge the
application I get the same result. An of course, Aptitude won't finish the
upgrade installation because of this error. I get essentially the same
result with dpkg. How can I get out of this mess. Help!

Take a look at the netatalk maintainer scripts in "/var/lib/dpkg/info"
to see why they are failing.

The /bin/hostname is not returning the hostname. Is this a bug?

Gary R

Archive: 4CDD9956.5010205@verizon.net">http://lists.debian.org/4CDD9956.5010205@verizon.net

Old 11-12-2010, 08:14 PM
Bob Proulx

Gary Roach wrote:
> >Take a look at the netatalk maintainer scripts in "/var/lib/dpkg/info"
> >to see why they are failing.
> The /bin/hostname is not returning the hostname. Is this a bug?

The hostname should be set during boot time. The actual script is
/etc/init.d/hostname.sh using the contents of /etc/hostname. If the
hostname isn't getting set then it will cause problems.

Why isn't your hostname set at boot time? You will need to debug what
changed to cause that problem.

Bob

Old 11-12-2010, 11:12 PM
Tom H

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 2:45 PM, Gary Roach <gary719_list1@verizon.net> wrote:
> On 01/-10/-28163 11:59 AM, Tom H wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 7:29 PM, Gary Roach<gary719_list1@verizon.net>
>> *wrote:
>>

>>> I have a dual boot Toshiba Qosmio "laptop?" that I am upgrading from
>>> Lenny
>>> to Squeeze. Everything worked fine (Using Aptitude) until the
>>> installation
>>> of netatalk started; a program that I really don't need. I get:
>>>
>>> hostname: Unknown host
>>>
>>> First /etc/hostname is filled in. When I attempt to reinstall I get the
>>> same
>>> type of error and the process aborts. When I try to remove or purge the
>>> application I get the same result. An of course, Aptitude won't finish
>>> the
>>> upgrade installation because of this error. I get essentially the same
>>> result with dpkg. How can I get out of this mess. Help!
>>>

>> Take a look at the netatalk maintainer scripts in "/var/lib/dpkg/info"
>> to see why they are failing.
>>

> The /bin/hostname is not returning the hostname. Is this a bug?

Check "/etc/hostname" and "/etc/init.d/hostname.sh" and whether there
is an Sxxhostname.sh in "/etc/rcS.d".

Old 11-13-2010, 03:40 PM
Gary Roach

[...]

All of the above were true. I have meticulously removed netatalk from
the system a piece at a time using the information in
/var/lib/dpkg/info. The problem now seems to be the Aptitude database.
Netatalk is marked with a Cp code and won't do anything until it tries
to process netatalk. Of course, it immediately errors out. How can I
change the Aptitude database manually. Running aptitude keep-all just
generates the same type of errors as everything else and doesn't do
nothing. I would love to reinstall Aptitude at this point but that
doesn't work either.

Gary R.

Archive: 4CDEBF88.3030308@verizon.net">http://lists.debian.org/4CDEBF88.3030308@verizon.net

Old 11-13-2010, 06:45 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

In <4CDEBF88.3030308@verizon.net>, Gary Roach wrote:
>I have meticulously removed netatalk from
>the system a piece at a time using the information in
>/var/lib/dpkg/info.

That was bad. Now your package system in broken; it's database doesn't
correspond to the running system.

>The problem now seems to be the Aptitude database.
>Netatalk is marked with a Cp code and won't do anything until it tries
>to process netatalk. Of course, it immediately errors out.

Please post the error. There are at least 3 ways I can think of for removing
netatalk to fail and they are each fixed differently.

>How can I
>change the Aptitude database manually.

You don't want to do that. First of all, the aptitude database is fairly
limited, it basically just stores which packages are "automatically
installed". In Squeeze, it doesn't even keep that, since APT grew that
feature.

You also don't want to twiddle bits in the apt or dpkg databases, usually.
The vast majority of failed dpkg runs I've seen on this list are solvable by
editing the maintainer scripts {pre,post}{inst,rm} and then do a purge or
remove/install cycle. Fixing things this way makes sure human error doesn't
hopelessly corrupt your dpkg/apt/aptitude databases, which are only broken by
the existing dpkg/apt/aptitude in extremely rare cases. In fact, it is so
rare, I can't immediately recall it ever occurring.

>I would love to reinstall Aptitude at this point but that
>doesn't work either.

I don't see how that would help.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.