Old 11-11-2010, 04:44 PM
David Baron

Default Conversion to Ext4 in LVM

The system-config-lvm UI offers the option to change filesystem type, i.e.
currently ext3, change to ext4.

Can one/should one do this?

Old 11-11-2010, 06:40 PM

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 07:44:36PM +0200, David Baron wrote:
> The system-config-lvm UI offers the option to change filesystem type, i.e.
> currently ext3, change to ext4.
>
> Can one/should one do this?

You can convert from ext3 to ext4. I've done it.

https://ext4.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Ext4_Howto#Converting_an_ext3_filesystem_to_ext4

Old 11-11-2010, 10:40 PM
Doug

On 11/11/2010 12:44 PM, David Baron wrote:

The system-config-lvm UI offers the option to change filesystem type, i.e.
currently ext3, change to ext4.

Can one/should one do this?

Someone tell us dummies what the difference and advantage is of
ext4 over ext3, please.

--doug

--
Blessed are the peacemakers...for they shall be shot at from both sides.
--A.M. Greeley

Archive: 4CDC7EEB.7000100@optonline.net">http://lists.debian.org/4CDC7EEB.7000100@optonline.net

Old 11-12-2010, 05:47 AM
Didar Hossain

The system-config-lvm UI offers the option to change filesystem type, i.e.

currently ext3, change to ext4.

Can one/should one do this?

Someone tell us dummies what the difference and advantage is of

ext4 over ext3, please.

--doug

http://kernelnewbies.org/Ext4

The above lists the features - can be advantages depending on your POV.

Personally, I would not recommend converting, but, rather creating a separate partition

for ext4 to test it out.

Regards,
Didar

Old 11-15-2010, 06:33 PM
David Baron

On Thursday 11 November 2010 19:44:36 David Baron wrote:
> The system-config-lvm UI offers the option to change filesystem type, i.e.
> currently ext3, change to ext4.
>
> Can one/should one do this?
As requested by one responder: What is the advantage of ext4 over ext3 and
what variety of files/sizes would this apply. Using this knowledge, some but
maybe not all of the logical file systems might be changed over.

Old 11-16-2010, 05:42 PM
Mike Castle

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 10:47 PM, Didar Hossain <didar.hossain@gmail.com> wrote:
> Personally, I would not recommend converting, but, rather creating a
> separate partition
> for ext4 to test it out.

For my use case, in order to get the benefits for using ext4 over
ext3, it worked better to create a new filesystem with ext4 and move
all of the data onto it and them removing the old filesystem.

mrc