FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-11-2010, 02:55 PM
Rodolfo Medina
 
Default Problems with /etc/modprobe.conf

Hi all.

Installing the driver for my new printer Samsung ML-1915 (the official Samsung
driver) created the file /etc/modprobe.conf, containing the following stuff:

options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7 dma=3

Since then, at every boot the following warning message appears:

/etc/modprobe.conf exists but does not include /etc/modprobe.d!

Besides, in the virtual consoles the characters have got smaller, and a few
more strange things happen. So I want to get rid of that file. But if I
remove it, or even only append to it the line:

include /etc/modprobe.d/

, the error message disappear but the printer does not work. It may have
something to do with the load of /dev/mfp4, the printer port.

Please help with this issue.

Thanks for any help
Rodolfo


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 871v6ram7w.fsf@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/871v6ram7w.fsf@gmail.com
 
Old 11-11-2010, 03:23 PM
Rob Owens
 
Default Problems with /etc/modprobe.conf

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 03:55:47PM +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Hi all.
>
> Installing the driver for my new printer Samsung ML-1915 (the official Samsung
> driver) created the file /etc/modprobe.conf, containing the following stuff:
>
My older Samsung ML-2010 works with the open source "splix" driver. Not
sure if it'll work with yours, but may be worth a try.

-Rob


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20101111162347.GC19327@aurora.owens.net">http://lists.debian.org/20101111162347.GC19327@aurora.owens.net
 
Old 11-11-2010, 03:40 PM
Stephen Powell
 
Default Problems with /etc/modprobe.conf

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 10:55:47 -0500 (EST), Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>
> Installing the driver for my new printer Samsung ML-1915 (the official
> Samsung driver) created the file /etc/modprobe.conf, containing the
> following stuff:
>
> options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7 dma=3
>
> Since then, at every boot the following warning message appears:
>
> /etc/modprobe.conf exists but does not include /etc/modprobe.d!
>
> Besides, in the virtual consoles the characters have got smaller, and a few
> more strange things happen. So I want to get rid of that file. But if I
> remove it, or even only append to it the line:
>
> include /etc/modprobe.d/
>
> , the error message disappear but the printer does not work. It may have
> something to do with the load of /dev/mfp4, the printer port.
>

This is one reason why I do my best to only install Debianized packages
(i.e. packages that have been customized specifically for the Debian
environment, even if they are not official, as opposed to generic
install scripts from vendors that supposedly work with all distributions).

module-init-tools can be configured in one of two ways: you can put everything
in a single file called /etc/modprobe.conf or you can create one or more
files in directory /etc/modprobe.d, such as /etc/modprobe.d/parport.conf,
/etc/modprobe.d/comport.conf, etc. (For compatibility with recent versions
of initramfs-tools, the files in directory /etc/modprobe.d should have an
extension of ".conf".)

If the file /etc/modprobe.conf exists, then all the files in /etc/modprobe.d
are ignored. The Debian distribution prefers the second method, multiple
files in /etc/modprobe.d, and all the official Debian packages are designed
to use that method.

What I would do is something like this. First, eliminate the "include"
record that you added to /etc/modprobe.conf. Then issue the following
commands:

# mv /etc/modprobe.conf /etc/modprobe.d/parport.conf
# update-initramfs -uk `uname -r`
# shutdown -r now

That should do it.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :
`. `'`
`-


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1815883482.309870.1289493615582.JavaMail.root@md01 .wow.synacor.com">http://lists.debian.org/1815883482.309870.1289493615582.JavaMail.root@md01 .wow.synacor.com
 
Old 11-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Rob Owens
 
Default Problems with /etc/modprobe.conf

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 11:40:15AM -0500, Stephen Powell wrote:
> If the file /etc/modprobe.conf exists, then all the files in /etc/modprobe.d
> are ignored. The Debian distribution prefers the second method, multiple
> files in /etc/modprobe.d, and all the official Debian packages are designed
> to use that method.
>
Are you sure about that? I've used modprobe.conf for stuff like lirc.
If that caused modprobe.d to be ignored, I would have thought something
would have broken. But my systems work fine like that (at least 3 of
them are like this -- all Lenny installs).

-Rob


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20101111171112.GA19854@aurora.owens.net">http://lists.debian.org/20101111171112.GA19854@aurora.owens.net
 
Old 11-11-2010, 04:25 PM
Rodolfo Medina
 
Default Problems with /etc/modprobe.conf

Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> writes:

> On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 10:55:47 -0500 (EST), Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>>
>> Installing the driver for my new printer Samsung ML-1915 (the official
>> Samsung driver) created the file /etc/modprobe.conf, containing the
>> following stuff:
>>
>> options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7 dma=3
>>
>> Since then, at every boot the following warning message appears:
>>
>> /etc/modprobe.conf exists but does not include /etc/modprobe.d!
>>
>> Besides, in the virtual consoles the characters have got smaller, and a few
>> more strange things happen. So I want to get rid of that file. But if I
>> remove it, or even only append to it the line:
>>
>> include /etc/modprobe.d/
>>
>> , the error message disappear but the printer does not work. It may have
>> something to do with the load of /dev/mfp4, the printer port.
>>
>
> [...] First, eliminate the "include"
> record that you added to /etc/modprobe.conf. Then issue the following
> commands:
>
> # mv /etc/modprobe.conf /etc/modprobe.d/parport.conf
> # update-initramfs -uk `uname -r`
> # shutdown -r now


Unfortunately, it doesn't work.


> This is one reason why I do my best to only install Debianized packages
> (i.e. packages that have been customized specifically for the Debian
> environment, even if they are not official, as opposed to generic
> install scripts from vendors that supposedly work with all distributions).


Yes, I agree. After installing the Samsung official driver, I found this:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=341621

, where Debianized packages are reported. If I can't solve the problem with
/etc/modprobe.conf, I'll try it. Only, there doesn't seem to be support for
ink level checking, which is important, I think.

Rodolfo


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 87aalfwz5m.fsf@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/87aalfwz5m.fsf@gmail.com
 
Old 11-11-2010, 05:05 PM
Stephen Powell
 
Default Problems with /etc/modprobe.conf

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 12:11:12 -0500 (EST), Rob Owens wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 11:40:15AM -0500, Stephen Powell wrote:
>> If the file /etc/modprobe.conf exists, then all the files in /etc/modprobe.d
>> are ignored. The Debian distribution prefers the second method, multiple
>> files in /etc/modprobe.d, and all the official Debian packages are designed
>> to use that method.
>
> Are you sure about that? I've used modprobe.conf for stuff like lirc.
> If that caused modprobe.d to be ignored, I would have thought something
> would have broken. But my systems work fine like that (at least 3 of
> them are like this -- all Lenny installs).

Well, that's the way it used to work when module-init-tools first came out,
replacing the older modutils package that was used with 2.4 kernels.
The man page for modprobe.d in Lenny seems to imply this as well. The
second sentence under DESCRIPTION says ...

"/etc/modprobe.conf (or, if that does not exist, all files under the
/etc/modprobe.d directory) specifies those options, as required."

But that is changing. The Squeeze version of the man page reads differently.

"All files underneath the /etc/modprobe.d directory which end with the
.conf extension specify those options as required. (the /etc/modprobe.conf
file can also be used if it exists, but that will be removed in a future
version)."

It's not clear from the Squeeze man page if /etc/modprobe.conf supersedes
or merely supplements the files in /etc/modprobe.d, but I'm guessing based on
historic behavior that it supersedes it. In any case, it looks like a
future version of module-init-tools will eliminate /etc/modprobe.conf;
so it might be a good idea to wean yourself off of it.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :
`. `'`
`-


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1724612000.312607.1289498740466.JavaMail.root@md01 .wow.synacor.com">http://lists.debian.org/1724612000.312607.1289498740466.JavaMail.root@md01 .wow.synacor.com
 
Old 11-11-2010, 05:11 PM
Stephen Powell
 
Default Problems with /etc/modprobe.conf

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 12:25:25 -0500 (EST), Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> writes:
>> [...] First, eliminate the "include"
>> record that you added to /etc/modprobe.conf. Then issue the following
>> commands:
>>
>> # mv /etc/modprobe.conf /etc/modprobe.d/parport.conf
>> # update-initramfs -uk `uname -r`
>> # shutdown -r now
>
> Unfortunately, it doesn't work.

Can you be a little more specific about that? What are the failure
symptoms?

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :
`. `'`
`-


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 371193644.312787.1289499090666.JavaMail.root@md01. wow.synacor.com">http://lists.debian.org/371193644.312787.1289499090666.JavaMail.root@md01. wow.synacor.com
 
Old 11-11-2010, 05:38 PM
Rodolfo Medina
 
Default Problems with /etc/modprobe.conf

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 10:55:47 -0500 (EST), Rodolfo Medina wrote:

>> Installing the driver for my new printer Samsung ML-1915 (the official
>> Samsung driver) created the file /etc/modprobe.conf, containing the
>> following stuff:
>>
>> options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7 dma=3
>>
>> Since then, at every boot the following warning message appears:
>>
>> /etc/modprobe.conf exists but does not include /etc/modprobe.d!
>>
>> Besides, in the virtual consoles the characters have got smaller, and a few
>> more strange things happen. So I want to get rid of that file. But if I
>> remove it, or even only append to it the line:
>>
>> include /etc/modprobe.d/
>>
>> , the error message disappear but the printer does not work. It may have
>> something to do with the load of /dev/mfp4, the printer port.


Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> writes:

>>> [...] First, eliminate the "include" record that you added to
>>> /etc/modprobe.conf. Then issue the following commands:
>>>
>>> # mv /etc/modprobe.conf /etc/modprobe.d/parport.conf
>>> # update-initramfs -uk `uname -r`
>>> # shutdown -r now


Rodolfo Medina wrote:

>> Unfortunately, it doesn't work.


Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> writes:

> Can you be a little more specific about that? What are the failure
> symptoms?


It's what I reported at first: the warning message disappears but the printer
doesn't work. With /etc/modprobe.conf, the printer works normally.

Rodolfo


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 87sjz7vh7f.fsf@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/87sjz7vh7f.fsf@gmail.com
 
Old 11-11-2010, 11:44 PM
Stephen Powell
 
Default Problems with /etc/modprobe.conf

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 13:38:28 -0500 (EST), Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> It's what I reported at first: the warning message disappears but the printer
> doesn't work. With /etc/modprobe.conf, the printer works normally.

So the warning message disappears. Good. But what about the virtual console
characters? Are the characters still smaller than they were before? What
about the other "strange things"? Are they still strange? In other words,
is the failure of the printer to work the only symptom of moving
/etc/modprobe.conf to the /etc/modprobe.d directory and naming it
parport.conf? Does everything else in your system behave the way it did
before you installed the printer driver? Or is something else different?

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :
`. `'`
`-


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 1574980059.322368.1289522672959.JavaMail.root@md01 .wow.synacor.com">http://lists.debian.org/1574980059.322368.1289522672959.JavaMail.root@md01 .wow.synacor.com
 
Old 11-12-2010, 09:29 AM
Rodolfo Medina
 
Default Problems with /etc/modprobe.conf

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 10:55:47 -0500 (EST), Rodolfo Medina wrote:

>> Installing the driver for my new printer Samsung ML-1915 (the official
>> Samsung driver) created the file /etc/modprobe.conf, containing the
>> following stuff:
>>
>> options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7 dma=3
>>
>> Since then, at every boot the following warning message appears:
>>
>> /etc/modprobe.conf exists but does not include /etc/modprobe.d!
>>
>> Besides, in the virtual consoles the characters have got smaller, and a few
>> more strange things happen. So I want to get rid of that file. But if I
>> remove it, or even only append to it the line:
>>
>> include /etc/modprobe.d/
>>
>> , the error message disappear but the printer does not work. It may have
>> something to do with the load of /dev/mfp4, the printer port.


Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> writes:

>>> [...] First, eliminate the "include" record that you added to
>>> /etc/modprobe.conf. Then issue the following commands:
>>>
>>> # mv /etc/modprobe.conf /etc/modprobe.d/parport.conf
>>> # update-initramfs -uk `uname -r`
>>> # shutdown -r now


On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 13:38:28 -0500 (EST), Rodolfo Medina wrote:

>> [...] the warning message disappears but the printer
>> doesn't work. With /etc/modprobe.conf, the printer works normally.


Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> writes:

> So the warning message disappears. Good. But what about the virtual console
> characters? Are the characters still smaller than they were before? What
> about the other "strange things"? Are they still strange? In other words,
> is the failure of the printer to work the only symptom of moving
> /etc/modprobe.conf to the /etc/modprobe.d directory and naming it
> parport.conf? Does everything else in your system behave the way it did
> before you installed the printer driver? Or is something else different?


After moving /etc/modprobe.conf to the /etc/modprobe.d directory and naming it
parport.conf and rebooting, apparently everything else in my system behaves the
way it did before I installed the printer driver. The only problem is that the
printer doesn't work. If I want it to work, I have to leave /etc/modprobe.conf
there where Samsung put it.

Thanks
Rodolfo


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 87oc9ual7r.fsf@gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/87oc9ual7r.fsf@gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:28 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org