Old 11-12-2010, 01:48 PM
Stephen Powell

Default Problems with /etc/modprobe.conf

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 05:29:44 -0500 (EST), Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> writes:
>> So the warning message disappears. Good. But what about the virtual console
>> characters? Are the characters still smaller than they were before? What
>> about the other "strange things"? Are they still strange? In other words,
>> is the failure of the printer to work the only symptom of moving
>> /etc/modprobe.conf to the /etc/modprobe.d directory and naming it
>> parport.conf? Does everything else in your system behave the way it did
>> before you installed the printer driver? Or is something else different?
>
> After moving /etc/modprobe.conf to the /etc/modprobe.d directory and naming it
> parport.conf and rebooting, apparently everything else in my system behaves the
> way it did before I installed the printer driver. The only problem is that the
> printer doesn't work. If I want it to work, I have to leave /etc/modprobe.conf
> there where Samsung put it.

OK, good. The rest of your system is working as before. That's what I wanted
to know. Now look for evidence that the parport_pc module is getting the options
passed to it in the options statement in /etc/modprobe.d/parport.conf. For
example:

dmesg|grep parport

You should see a message that identifies the I/O port address, the interrupt
level (IRQ) and the DMA channel that was specified in
/etc/modprobe.d/parport.conf.

If you do, then it is safe to assume that the correct options are being
passed to the kernel module. And that, after all, is the intended purpose
of /etc/modprobe.d/parport.conf. If the correct options are being passed
to kernel module parport_pc, then the problem must be that something in the
printer driver, perhaps a boot-up script, perhaps not, is explicitly looking
for /etc/modprobe.conf and trying to parse its data. If that is the case,
you may be able to find the script and edit it to look in
/etc/modprobe.d/parport.conf instead. If the logic is in a compiled program,
and the manufacturer does not provide source code for their driver, then
you are pretty much out of luck.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 11-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Rodolfo Medina

On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 10:55:47 -0500 (EST), Rodolfo Medina wrote:

>> Installing the driver for my new printer Samsung ML-1915 (the official
>> Samsung driver) created the file /etc/modprobe.conf, containing the
>> following stuff:
>>
>> options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7 dma=3
>>
>> Since then, at every boot the following warning message appears:
>>
>> /etc/modprobe.conf exists but does not include /etc/modprobe.d!
>>
>> Besides, in the virtual consoles the characters have got smaller, and a few
>> more strange things happen. So I want to get rid of that file. But if I
>> remove it, or even only append to it the line:
>>
>> include /etc/modprobe.d/
>>
>> , the error message disappear but the printer does not work. It may have
>> something to do with the load of /dev/mfp4, the printer port.

Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> writes:

>>> [...] First, eliminate the "include" record that you added to
>>> /etc/modprobe.conf. Then issue the following commands:
>>>
>>> # mv /etc/modprobe.conf /etc/modprobe.d/parport.conf
>>> # update-initramfs -uk `uname -r`
>>> # shutdown -r now

Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> writes:

> Now look for evidence that the parport_pc module is getting the options
> passed to it in the options statement in /etc/modprobe.d/parport.conf. For
> example:
>
> dmesg|grep parport
>
> You should see a message that identifies the I/O port address, the interrupt
> level (IRQ) and the DMA channel that was specified in
> /etc/modprobe.d/parport.conf.
>
> If you do, then it is safe to assume that the correct options are being
> passed to the kernel module. And that, after all, is the intended purpose
> of /etc/modprobe.d/parport.conf. If the correct options are being passed
> to kernel module parport_pc, then the problem must be that something in the
> printer driver, perhaps a boot-up script, perhaps not, is explicitly looking
> for /etc/modprobe.conf and trying to parse its data. If that is the case,
> you may be able to find the script and edit it to look in
> /etc/modprobe.d/parport.conf instead. If the logic is in a compiled program,
> and the manufacturer does not provide source code for their driver, then
> you are pretty much out of luck.

# dmesg|grep parport
[ 11.593036] parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778), irq 7 [PCSPP,TRISTATE]
[ 71.028713] lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).

Then I edited the `install.sh' script as you suggested. I'm pretty sure to
have replaced all the possible occurrences of any expression resulting in
/etc/modprobe.conf with the corrispondent instance that gives
/etc/modprobe.d/parport.conf in a clever manner. Then I reinstalled and
rebooted, but the printer is dead. It lives up again if I restore things as
the manufacturer wants: /etc/modprobe.conf. Editing that script is just the
same as merely replacing by hand /etc/modprobe.conf with
/etc/modprobe.d/parport.conf.

Now I wish to uninstall all and use the debianized packages at:

http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/

Are they the same that you use? Can you check the toner level with them?
That's the only reason Samsung software is useful. If there's another way, I'm
going to uninstall it.

Thanks
Rodolfo

Old 11-13-2010, 02:51 PM
Stephen Powell

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 12:15:31 -0500 (EST), Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> # dmesg|grep parport
> [ 11.593036] parport0: PC-style at 0x378 (0x778), irq 7 [PCSPP,TRISTATE]
> [ 71.028713] lp0: using parport0 (interrupt-driven).

These are the defaults; so that's not proof that the options are being
processed. Those are the messages that my system issues too, and
I'm not using an options statement for parport_pc. You might try
changing the options to non-default values, just for grins,
and see what happens.

> Then I edited the `install.sh' script as you suggested. I'm pretty sure to
> have replaced all the possible occurrences of any expression resulting in
> /etc/modprobe.conf with the corrispondent instance that gives
> /etc/modprobe.d/parport.conf in a clever manner. Then I reinstalled and
> rebooted, but the printer is dead. It lives up again if I restore things as
> the manufacturer wants: /etc/modprobe.conf. Editing that script is just the
> same as merely replacing by hand /etc/modprobe.conf with
> /etc/modprobe.d/parport.conf.

Not necessarily. There may be other scripts besides install.sh that
contain references to /etc/modprobe.conf. For example, there may be
a script in /etc/init.d. There may also be a reference to /etc/modprobe.conf
in compiled code than you cannot see.

> Now I wish to uninstall all and use the debianized packages at:
>
> http://www.bchemnet.com/suldr/
>
> Are they the same that you use? Can you check the toner level with them?
> That's the only reason Samsung software is useful. If there's another way, I'm
> going to uninstall it.

I don't have or use that model of printer; so I don't know. So far, all the
printers I have attempted to use with Debian are old enough that there are
Debianized drivers built into CUPS/foomatic that work just fine. As for checking
the toner level, most printers I have used have a "toner low" light on the
printer itself which warns me that the toner is about to run out, and that
has always been adequate enough for my purposes.

I can't speak for the drivers to which you are referring, but in general
I would recommend using a driver package that has been customized for
the Debian environment.

--
.'`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Old 11-15-2010, 10:51 AM
Rodolfo Medina

Stephen Powell <zlinuxman@wowway.com> writes:

> On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 12:11:12 -0500 (EST), Rob Owens wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 11:40:15AM -0500, Stephen Powell wrote:
>>> If the file /etc/modprobe.conf exists, then all the files in
>>> /etc/modprobe.d are ignored. The Debian distribution prefers the second
>>> method, multiple files in /etc/modprobe.d, and all the official Debian
>>> packages are designed to use that method.
>>
>> Are you sure about that? I've used modprobe.conf for stuff like lirc.
>> If that caused modprobe.d to be ignored, I would have thought something
>> would have broken. But my systems work fine like that (at least 3 of
>> them are like this -- all Lenny installs).
>
> Well, that's the way it used to work when module-init-tools first came out,
> replacing the older modutils package that was used with 2.4 kernels.
> The man page for modprobe.d in Lenny seems to imply this as well. The
> second sentence under DESCRIPTION says ...
>
> "/etc/modprobe.conf (or, if that does not exist, all files under the
> /etc/modprobe.d directory) specifies those options, as required."
>
> But that is changing. The Squeeze version of the man page reads differently.
>
> "All files underneath the /etc/modprobe.d directory which end with the
> .conf extension specify those options as required. (the
> /etc/modprobe.conf file can also be used if it exists, but that will be
> removed in a future version)."
>
> It's not clear from the Squeeze man page if /etc/modprobe.conf supersedes
> or merely supplements the files in /etc/modprobe.d, but I'm guessing based on
> historic behavior that it supersedes it. In any case, it looks like a
> future version of module-init-tools will eliminate /etc/modprobe.conf;
> so it might be a good idea to wean yourself off of it.

The problem occurs for me with 2.6.32-bpo.4-686 and 2.6.32-bpo.5-686 but not
with 2.6.32-bpo.3-686. This seems to confirm for newer kernels what Stephen
says.

Rodolfo

Old 11-15-2010, 10:52 AM
Rodolfo Medina

Rodolfo Medina <rodolfo.medina@gmail.com> writes:

> Installing the driver for my new printer Samsung ML-1915 (the official
> Samsung driver) created the file /etc/modprobe.conf, containing the following
> stuff:
>
> options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7 dma=3
>
> Since then, at every boot the following warning message appears:
>
> /etc/modprobe.conf exists but does not include /etc/modprobe.d!
>
> Besides, in the virtual consoles the characters have got smaller, and a few
> more strange things happen. So I want to get rid of that file. But if I
> remove it, or even only append to it the line:
>
> include /etc/modprobe.d/
>
> , the error message disappear but the printer does not work. It may have
> something to do with the load of /dev/mfp4, the printer port.

The problem was due to the fact that, following the (wrong) suggestion at:

, I had appended to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist the following line:

blacklist usblp

Now it is solved removing that line from /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and
appending to /etc/modprobe.conf the following:

include /etc/modprobe.d/

, as reported above. Thanks to all and particularly to Stephen Powell.

Rodolfo

Old 12-22-2010, 10:23 PM
Lisi

On Thursday 11 November 2010 15:55:47 Rodolfo Medina wrote:
> Installing the driver for my new printer Samsung ML-1915 (the official
> Samsung driver) created the file /etc/modprobe.conf, containing the
> following stuff:
>
> *options parport_pc io=0x378 irq=7 dma=3
>
> Since then, at every boot the following warning message appears:
>
> */etc/modprobe.conf exists but does not include /etc/modprobe.d!
>
> Besides, in the virtual consoles the characters have got smaller, and a few
> more strange things happen. *So I want to get rid of that file. *But if I
> remove it, or even only append to it the line:
>
> *include /etc/modprobe.d/
>
> , the error message disappear but the printer does not work. *It may have
> something to do with the load of /dev/mfp4, the printer port.

I have splix for my Samsung, and I have no /etc/modprobe.conf. Does splix not
cover the ML-1915? It might be worth a try anyway? Uninstall the driver and
install splix?

Lisi

Old 12-23-2010, 01:23 PM
Rodolfo Medina

Lisi <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thursday 11 November 2010 15:55:47 Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>> Installing the driver for my new printer Samsung ML-1915 (the official
>> Samsung driver) created the file /etc/modprobe.conf, containing the
>> following stuff:

> I have splix for my Samsung, and I have no /etc/modprobe.conf. Does splix
> not cover the ML-1915? It might be worth a try anyway? Uninstall the driver
> and install splix?

I think the best solution is the one that I finally reported here:

Rodolfo