Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   Debian User (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/)
-   -   To KVM or not to KVM (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/451117-kvm-not-kvm.html)

David Baron 11-11-2010 01:23 PM

To KVM or not to KVM
 
I have a dual core intel processor with hyperthreading, etc.
Virtualization options are set on in BIOS.

I still get something like "CPU does not have extensions, doing nothing" when
the KVM driver tries to load.

I am using a stock 2.6.32 kernel from Sid.

How do I activate KVM stuff? Need to compile the kernel with options set?


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 201011111623.24406.d_baron@012.net.il">http://lists.debian.org/201011111623.24406.d_baron@012.net.il

"David A. Parker" 11-11-2010 02:00 PM

To KVM or not to KVM
 
I think that the virtualization support in some CPUs is not compatible
with KVM. I have an HP server with two dual-core Xeon model 5160 CPUs
in it. According to Intel's website, this CPU has the VT-x extension
for virtualization support, and I enabled virtualization support in the
BIOS. However, QEMU says that the CPU does not support virtualization,
and /proc/cpuinfo does not show the vmx extension (which KVM requires).


- Dave

On 11/11/2010 09:23 AM, David Baron wrote:

I have a dual core intel processor with hyperthreading, etc.
Virtualization options are set on in BIOS.

I still get something like "CPU does not have extensions, doing nothing" when
the KVM driver tries to load.

I am using a stock 2.6.32 kernel from Sid.

How do I activate KVM stuff? Need to compile the kernel with options set?




--

Dave Parker
Systems Administrator
Utica College
Integrated Information Technology Services
(315) 792-3229
Registered Linux User #408177


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org

Archive: 4CDC0503.5000005@utica.edu">http://lists.debian.org/4CDC0503.5000005@utica.edu

ceduard0 11-11-2010 02:13 PM

To KVM or not to KVM
 
2010/11/11 David Baron <d_baron@012.net.il>
>
> I have a dual core intel processor with hyperthreading, etc.
> Virtualization options are set on in BIOS.
>
> I still get something like "CPU does not have extensions, doing nothing" when
> the KVM driver tries to load.
>
> I am using a stock 2.6.32 kernel from Sid.
>
> How do I activate KVM stuff? Need to compile the kernel with options set?
>
Hi David I don't use KVM but I finded this info http://wiki.debian.org/KVM
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/201011111623.24406.d_baron@012.net.il
>



--
ceduard0


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: AANLkTika9DYU4UPGx9rJQw1+T+VXsaHqmtvs-gXxx7Hf@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTika9DYU4UPGx9rJQw1+T+VXsaHqmtvs-gXxx7Hf@mail.gmail.com

"B. Alexander" 11-11-2010 03:23 PM

To KVM or not to KVM
 
Dave is correct. I have researched this long and hard, since I don't
particularly like vmware because they only seem to pay lip-service to
Linux. So I have researched a lot of the virtualization platforms for
Linux.

KVM needs a 64-bit cpu, but it also, as Dave said, needs the VTX
instruction set (for intel) or the SMX instructions for AMD.
Unfortunately, I have neither.

If you are running Linux-on-Linux, you might consider either vserver
or openvz. It does virtual containers similar to Sunacle Solaris'
containers. You can run many more virtual machines using containers
than you could with full virtualization because each container uses
less resources (and shares them better) than full virtualization.
http://linux-vserver.org/Welcome_to_Linux-VServer.org
http://wiki.openvz.org/Main_Page

You could run vmware esxi, but as I said, I'm not fond of it. I don't
think having to have a windows box to control it fits my workflow.
That said, esxi is free, though when you put in the free license, it
changes the filesystem to read-only.

Virtualbox is another option, however it is not intended for server
virtualization. It is more akin to vmware workstation or vmware
player.

HTH,
--b


On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 10:00 AM, David A. Parker <dparker@utica.edu> wrote:
> I think that the virtualization support in some CPUs is not compatible with
> KVM. *I have an HP server with two dual-core Xeon model 5160 CPUs in it.
> *According to Intel's website, this CPU has the VT-x extension for
> virtualization support, and I enabled virtualization support in the BIOS.
> *However, QEMU says that the CPU does not support virtualization, and
> /proc/cpuinfo does not show the vmx extension (which KVM requires).
>
> * *- Dave
>
> On 11/11/2010 09:23 AM, David Baron wrote:
>>
>> I have a dual core intel processor with hyperthreading, etc.
>> Virtualization options are set on in BIOS.
>>
>> I still get something like "CPU does not have extensions, doing nothing"
>> when
>> the KVM driver tries to load.
>>
>> I am using a stock 2.6.32 kernel from Sid.
>>
>> How do I activate KVM stuff? Need to compile the kernel with options set?
>>
>>
>
> --
>
> Dave Parker
> Systems Administrator
> Utica College
> Integrated Information Technology Services
> (315) 792-3229
> Registered Linux User #408177
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org with a subject
> of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
> Archive: http://lists.debian.org/4CDC0503.5000005@utica.edu
>
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: AANLkTinv13dXzZ193TOSAqNeU3W+VRRSew8TiwKKEZio@mail .gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTinv13dXzZ193TOSAqNeU3W+VRRSew8TiwKKEZio@mail .gmail.com

Paula R T Coelho 11-11-2010 04:16 PM

To KVM or not to KVM
 
On 11 November 2010 14:23, B. Alexander <storm16@gmail.com> wrote:
> If you are running Linux-on-Linux, you might consider either vserver
> or openvz. It does virtual containers similar to Sunacle Solaris'

or Xen hypervisor
www.xen.org


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: AANLkTik+TqyKMgJoxnUmsZHEz3HHRC2EPT-ZsCsdOUqz@mail.gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTik+TqyKMgJoxnUmsZHEz3HHRC2EPT-ZsCsdOUqz@mail.gmail.com


All times are GMT. The time now is 09:03 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.