Old 11-11-2010, 12:10 PM
Mike Viau

Default how to resetup fake-raid

Hello,

I am trying to re-setup my fake-raid (RAID1) volume with LVM2 like setup previously. I had been using dmraid on a Lenny installation which gave me (from memory) a block device like /dev/mapper/isw_xxxxxxxxxxx_ and also a /dev/One1TB, but have discovered that the mdadm has replaced the older and believed to be obsolete dmraid for multiple disk/raid support.

Automatically the fake-raid LVM physical volume does not seem to be set up. I believe my data is safe as I can insert a knoppix live-cd in the system and mount the fake-raid volume (and browse the files). I am planning on perhaps purchasing another at least 1TB drive to backup the data before trying to much fancy stuff with mdadm in fear of loosing the data.

A few commands that might shed more light on the situation:

pvdisplay (showing the /dev/md/[device] not recognized yet by LVM2)

--- Physical volume ---
PV Name /dev/sdc7
VG Name XENSTORE-VG
PV Size 46.56 GiB / not usable 2.00 MiB
Allocatable yes (but full)
PE Size 4.00 MiB
Total PE 11920
Free PE 0
Allocated PE 11920
PV UUID wRa8xM-lcGZ-GwLX-F6bA-YiCj-c9e1-eMpPdL

cat /proc/mdstat (showing what mdadm shows/discovers)

Personalities :
md127 : inactive sda[1](S) sdb[0](S)
4514 blocks super external:imsm

unused devices:

ls -l /dev/md/imsm0 (showing contents of /dev/md/* [currently only one file/link ])

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Nov 7 08:07 /dev/md/imsm0 -> ../md127

ls -l /dev/md127 (showing the block device)

brw-rw---- 1 root disk 9, 127 Nov 7 08:07 /dev/md127

update-initramfs -u (Perhaps the most interesting error of them all)

update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64
mdadm: cannot open /dev/md/OneTB-RAID1-PV: No such file or directory

Thanks for any ones help

-Mike Viau

Old 11-12-2010, 11:13 PM
Mike Viau

So it looks like I can not even access the md device the system created on boot.

Does anyone have a guide or tips to migrating from the older dmraid to mdadm for fake-raid?

fdisk -uc /dev/md127* (showing the block device is inaccessible)

Unable to read /dev/md127

dmesg (pieces of dmesg/booting)

[*** 4.214092] device-mapper: uevent: version 1.0.3
[*** 4.214495] device-mapper: ioctl: 4.15.0-ioctl (2009-04-01) initialised: dm-devel@redhat.com
[*** 5.509386] udev[446]: starting version 163
[*** 7.181418] md: md127 stopped.
[*** 7.183088] md: bind<sdb>
[*** 7.183179] md: bind<sda>

Thanks.

-M

Old 11-12-2010, 11:48 PM
Tom H

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 7:13 PM, Mike Viau <viaum@sheridanc.on.ca> wrote:
>> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>> Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 08:10:55 -0500
>>
>> I am trying to re-setup my fake-raid (RAID1) volume with LVM2 like setup
>> previously. I had been using dmraid on a Lenny installation which gave me
>> (from memory) a block device like /dev/mapper/isw_xxxxxxxxxxx_ and also
>> a /dev/OneTB-RAID1, but have discovered that the mdadm has replaced
>> the older and believed to be obsolete dmraid for multiple disk/raid support.
>>
>> Automatically the fake-raid LVM physical volume does not seem to be set up.
>> I believe my data is safe as I can insert a knoppix live-cd in the system and
>> mount the fake-raid volume (and browse the files). I am planning on perhaps
>> purchasing another at least 1TB drive to backup the data before trying too
>> much fancy stuff with mdadm in fear of loosing the data.
>>
>> pvdisplay (showing the /dev/md/[device] not recognized yet by LVM2)
>> --- Physical volume ---
>> PV Name /dev/sdc7
>> VG Name XENSTORE-VG
>> PV Size 46.56 GiB / not usable 2.00 MiB
>> Allocatable yes (but full)
>> PE Size 4.00 MiB
>> Total PE 11920
>> Free PE 0
>> Allocated PE 11920
>> PV UUID wRa8xM-lcGZ-GwLX-F6bA-YiCj-c9e1-eMpPdL
>>
>> cat /proc/mdstat
>> Personalities :
>> md127 : inactive sda[1](S) sdb[0](S)
>> 4514 blocks super external:imsm
>>
>> ls -l /dev/md/imsm0
>> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Nov 7 08:07 /dev/md/imsm0 -> ../md127
>>
>> ls -l /dev/md127
>> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 9, 127 Nov 7 08:07 /dev/md127
>>
>> update-initramfs -u
>> update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64
>> mdadm: cannot open /dev/md/OneTB-RAID1-PV: No such file or directory
>
> So it looks like I can not even access the md device the system created on
> boot. Does anyone have a guide or tips to migrating from the older dmraid
> to mdadm for fake-raid?
>
> fdisk -uc /dev/md127
> Unable to read /dev/md127
>
> dmesg
> [ 4.214092] device-mapper: uevent: version 1.0.3
> [ 4.214495] device-mapper: ioctl: 4.15.0-ioctl (2009-04-01) initialised: dm-devel@redhat.com
> [ 5.509386] udev[446]: starting version 163
> [ 7.181418] md: md127 stopped.
> [ 7.183088] md: bind<sdb>
> [ 7.183179] md: bind<sda>

No necessarily being helpful but thought that I'd point out that
"pvdisplay" shows "/dev/sdc7" not "/dev/md127" and "cat /proc/mdstat"
shows both sda and sdb as spares...

I'd ask on the mdraid list if I were you, especially since mdraid
replacing dmraid must be a recent change.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:58 AM
Mike Viau

> On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 19:48:48 -0500 <tomh0665@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 7:13 PM, Mike V. wrote:
> >> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> >> Date: Thu, 11 Nov 2010 08:10:55 -0500
> >>
> >> I am trying to re-setup my fake-raid (RAID1) volume with LVM2 like setup
> >> previously. I had been using dmraid on a Lenny installation which gave me
> >> (from memory) a block device like /dev/mapper/isw_xxxxxxxxxxx_ and also
> >> a /dev/OneTB-RAID1, but have discovered that the mdadm has replaced
> >> the older and believed to be obsolete dmraid for multiple disk/raid support.
> >>
> >> Automatically the fake-raid LVM physical volume does not seem to be set up.
> >> I believe my data is safe as I can insert a knoppix live-cd in the system and
> >> mount the fake-raid volume (and browse the files). I am planning on perhaps
> >> purchasing another at least 1TB drive to backup the data before trying too
> >> much fancy stuff with mdadm in fear of loosing the data.
> >>
> >> pvdisplay (showing the /dev/md/[device] not recognized yet by LVM2)
> >> --- Physical volume ---
> >> PV Name /dev/sdc7
> >> VG Name XENSTORE-VG
> >> PV Size 46.56 GiB / not usable 2.00 MiB
> >> Allocatable yes (but full)
> >> PE Size 4.00 MiB
> >> Total PE 11920
> >> Free PE 0
> >> Allocated PE 11920
> >> PV UUID wRa8xM-lcGZ-GwLX-F6bA-YiCj-c9e1-eMpPdL
> >>
> >> cat /proc/mdstat
> >> Personalities :
> >> md127 : inactive sda[1](S) sdb[0](S)
> >> 4514 blocks super external:imsm
> >>
> >> ls -l /dev/md/imsm0
> >> lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 8 Nov 7 08:07 /dev/md/imsm0 -> ../md127
> >>
> >> ls -l /dev/md127
> >> brw-rw---- 1 root disk 9, 127 Nov 7 08:07 /dev/md127
> >>
> >> update-initramfs -u
> >> update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-5-xen-amd64
> >> mdadm: cannot open /dev/md/OneTB-RAID1-PV: No such file or directory
> >
> > So it looks like I can not even access the md device the system created on
> > boot. Does anyone have a guide or tips to migrating from the older dmraid
> > to mdadm for fake-raid?
> >
> > fdisk -uc /dev/md127
> > Unable to read /dev/md127
> >
> > dmesg
> > [ 4.214092] device-mapper: uevent: version 1.0.3
> > [ 4.214495] device-mapper: ioctl: 4.15.0-ioctl (2009-04-01) initialised: dm-devel@redhat.com
> > [ 5.509386] udev[446]: starting version 163
> > [ 7.181418] md: md127 stopped.
> > [ 7.183088] md: bind
> > [ 7.183179] md: bind
>
> No necessarily being helpful but thought that I'd point out that
> "pvdisplay" shows "/dev/sdc7" not "/dev/md127" and "cat /proc/mdstat"
> shows both sda and sdb as spares...
>
> I'd ask on the mdraid list if I were you, especially since mdraid
> replacing dmraid must be a recent change.

Thanks for the feedback. The physical logical volume on /dev/sdc7 actually not part of the fake-raid that I am trying to setup again, but /dev/sd[ab] certain are.

I assume the '(S)' denoted them are spares? Do you know if there is any way to 'activate' them both for use like in 'activating' a LVM volume group?

Is this the mailing list you were referring too? It seems like a devel list with patch submissions and stuff by looking at the archives. That is why I thought I'd try my luck on a user list as I am running Debian squeeze.

Old 11-13-2010, 04:21 AM
Tom H

On Fri, Nov 12, 2010 at 10:58 PM, Mike Viau <viaum@sheridanc.on.ca> wrote:

>> > So it looks like I can not even access the md device the system created on
>> > boot. Does anyone have a guide or tips to migrating from the older dmraid
>> > to mdadm for fake-raid?
>> >
>> > fdisk -uc /dev/md127
>> > Unable to read /dev/md127
>> >
>> > dmesg
>> > [ 4.214092] device-mapper: uevent: version 1.0.3
>> > [ 4.214495] device-mapper: ioctl: 4.15.0-ioctl (2009-04-01) initialised: dm-devel@redhat.com
>> > [ 5.509386] udev[446]: starting version 163
>> > [ 7.181418] md: md127 stopped.
>> > [ 7.183088] md: bind
>> > [ 7.183179] md: bind
>>
>> No necessarily being helpful but thought that I'd point out that
>> "pvdisplay" shows "/dev/sdc7" not "/dev/md127" and "cat /proc/mdstat"
>> shows both sda and sdb as spares...
>>
>> I'd ask on the mdraid list if I were you, especially since mdraid
>> replacing dmraid must be a recent change.
>
> Thanks for the feedback. The physical logical volume on /dev/sdc7 actually not part of the
> fake-raid that I am trying to setup again, but /dev/sd[ab] certain are.
>
> I assume the '(S)' denoted them are spares? Do you know if there is any way to 'activate'
> them both for use like in 'activating' a LVM volume group?

> Is this the mailing list you were referring too? It seems like a devel list with patch submissions
> and stuff by looking at the archives.

You're welcome.

Yes, I was pointing out that LVM was seeing just sdc7 as a PV of XENSTORE-VG.

Yes, '(S)' = spare, which means that mdraid doesn't think that there's
any data on sda and sdb so activation isn't an option.

Yes, that's the list to which I was referring. It's for users too.