Old 11-11-2010, 01:00 AM
Stan Hoeppner

Default lenny-backports, Squeeze upgrade

I've not in my Debian experience performed a distribution upgrade on a
system where backports packages are currently installed. Going from
Lenny to Squeeze will be my first.

Will aptitude automatically and correctly replace my backport packages
with the corresponding new squeeze packages? How is this handled?

My production Lenny mail server is running a backport version of
Dovecot. I'd like to avoid downtime as much as possible by planning ahead.

Thanks.

--
Stan

Old 11-11-2010, 01:16 AM
Tom H

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 9:00 PM, Stan Hoeppner <stan@hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

> I've not in my Debian experience performed a distribution upgrade on a
> system where backports packages are currently installed. ¬*Going from
> Lenny to Squeeze will be my first.
>
> Will aptitude automatically and correctly replace my backport packages
> with the corresponding new squeeze packages? ¬*How is this handled?

>From the release notes:

"The backports.org repository mainly contains packages from ‚Äútesting‚ÄĚ,
with reduced version numbers so that the upgrade path from lenny
backports to squeeze still works. However, there are a few backports
which are made from unstable: security updates, plus the following
exceptions: Firefox, the Linux kernel, OpenOffice.org, and X.Org."