Old 02-01-2008, 09:36 PM

Default how to best track linux-doc-2.6

How does one best track linux-doc-2.6?

# apt-get install linux-doc-2.6
Note, selecting linux-doc-2.6.24 instead of linux-doc-2.6
linux-doc-2.6.24

OK, but what about later when linux-doc-2.6 points to 2.6.25?
# dpkg-unhold linux-doc-2.6
# apt-get dselect-upgrade
probably won't pull it in. What can I do to automatically have
dselect-upgrade pull in the latest version?

Old 02-03-2008, 01:49 AM
"David Fox"

On 2/1/08, jidanni@jidanni.org <jidanni@jidanni.org> wrote:
> How does one best track linux-doc-2.6?
>
> # apt-get install linux-doc-2.6
> Note, selecting linux-doc-2.6.24 instead of linux-doc-2.6
> linux-doc-2.6.24

My guess, is if the linux-doc package is like the linux-kernel (or
linux-image) packages, is that if you install the 2.6.24 version
you'll always have the 2.6.24 version installed, even if 2.6.25
becomes available. But if you install linux-doc-2.6 it's a 'virtual'
package that automatically brings in the most recent version of that
package, so you'll get linux-doc-2.6.25 when it becomes available,
just like if you have linux-image-2.6 as a kernel package iinstalled,
rather than linux-kernel.2.6.whateveriscurrentnow .

(or whatever it's called nowadays - linux-image, I suppose).