Old 11-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Paul Cartwright

Default apache & IMAP ?

I had to reboot my Debian box... been awhile since I did that, and when
I logged in remotely using ssh, I got a prompt about waiting to reboot,
or something like that..
anywa, besides taking almost a half hour to reboot, because it had to
fsck a bunch of file systems that hadn't been checked in 225 days,
apache didn't restart. not sure why ?
before apache restarted I tried to start up thunderbird on my laptop to
get to IMAP email on the debian box, but it refused the connection. Once
I started apache, the IMAP connected on the laptop. What does starting
the web server have to do with my IMAP setup?

apache2 is in /etc/rc2.d/S91apache2

shouldn't it automatically start at bootup?

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Old 11-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Chris Davies

Paul Cartwright <debian@pcartwright.com> wrote:
> apache didn't restart. not sure why ?
> apache2 is in /etc/rc2.d/S91apache2

ls -l /etc/*.d/*apache2 please
Chris

Old 11-09-2010, 05:18 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 12:21:32 -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> I had to reboot my Debian box... been awhile since I did that, and when
> I logged in remotely using ssh, I got a prompt about waiting to reboot,
> or something like that..
> anywa, besides taking almost a half hour to reboot, because it had to
> fsck a bunch of file systems that hadn't been checked in 225 days,
> apache didn't restart. not sure why ?

Logs will tell.

> before apache restarted I tried to
> start up thunderbird on my laptop to get to IMAP email on the debian
> box, but it refused the connection. Once I started apache, the IMAP
> connected on the laptop. What does starting the web server have to do
> with my IMAP setup?

I'd say nothing. You can stop apache and still having imap service.

> apache2 is in /etc/rc2.d/S91apache2
>
> shouldn't it automatically start at bootup?

Yes... if it does not start you'll have to dig why, review your logs.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-09-2010, 06:09 PM
Paul Cartwright

On 11/09/2010 01:18 PM, Camaleón wrote:
>> apache2 is in /etc/rc2.d/S91apache2
>> >
>> > shouldn't it automatically start at bootup?
> Yes... if it does not start you'll have to dig why, review your logs.

if it doesn't start at bootup, then there would be no error in the log,
because it didn't try to start..
I'm not sure what log to look at to see why something didn't start.

the apache error.log has LOTS of lines of STUFF, but it is all
module-related:
Cannot find module (UCD-DEMO-MIB): At line 0 in (none)
Cannot find module (SNMP-TARGET-MIB): At line 0 in (none)
Cannot find module (NET-SNMP-AGENT-MIB): At line 0 in (none)

I looked in kern.log, messages, syslog... nada..

Old 11-09-2010, 06:20 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 14:09:13 -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> On 11/09/2010 01:18 PM, Camaleón wrote:
>>> apache2 is in /etc/rc2.d/S91apache2

>> Yes... if it does not start you'll have to dig why, review your logs.
>>
> if it doesn't start at bootup, then there would be no error in the log,
> because it didn't try to start..
> I'm not sure what log to look at to see why something didn't start.

You are seeking at the wrong side :-)

Forget about if apache starts at booting, first to do is testing if you
can run it at all:

/etc/init.d/apache2 start

Does it run? If yes, then you just have to enable apache2 service to boot
at start. If not, your problem is elsewhere.

> the apache error.log has LOTS of lines of STUFF, but it is all
> module-related:
> Cannot find module (UCD-DEMO-MIB): At line 0 in (none) Cannot find
> module (SNMP-TARGET-MIB): At line 0 in (none) Cannot find module
> (NET-SNMP-AGENT-MIB): At line 0 in (none)

Stuff is that matters (don't you read Slashdot? ;-) )

You have to correct those errors, sir, your "error.log" should be
"clear", Apache musn't complain about modules not being loaded nor found.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Paul Cartwright

On 11/09/2010 02:20 PM, Camaleón wrote:
> You are seeking at the wrong side :-)
>
> Forget about if apache starts at booting, first to do is testing if you
> can run it at all:
>
> /etc/init.d/apache2 start
works fine..
> Does it run? If yes, then you just have to enable apache2 service to boot
> at start. If not, your problem is elsewhere.

ok, I thought the file /etc/rc2.d/S91apache is what started it.. if not
what does start it?

>> > the apache error.log has LOTS of lines of STUFF, but it is all
>> > module-related:
>> > Cannot find module (UCD-DEMO-MIB): At line 0 in (none) Cannot find
>> > module (SNMP-TARGET-MIB): At line 0 in (none) Cannot find module
>> > (NET-SNMP-AGENT-MIB): At line 0 in (none)
> Stuff is that matters (don't you read Slashdot? ;-) )
>
> You have to correct those errors, sir, your "error.log" should be
> "clear", Apache musn't complain about modules not being loaded nor found.
I looked those errors up long ago, and failed miserably at fixing them.
Apache works, I can see my web sites.. squirrelmail works.
this page:
http://www.fasthostinghelp.com/php-error-cannot-find-t96.html?s=92a927966a206420cff1afceb3ca84e3&amp;

says:
Solution:
1. Open the php.ini file
2. Find the line 'extension=php_snmp.dll'
3. Comment it as shown below by placing a semi-colon in the start of the
line:

so maybe I'll try that.

Old 11-09-2010, 06:39 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 14:27:35 -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> On 11/09/2010 02:20 PM, Camaleón wrote:
>> You are seeking at the wrong side :-)
>>
>> Forget about if apache starts at booting, first to do is testing if you
>> can run it at all:
>>
>> /etc/init.d/apache2 start
> works fine..

Good.

>> Does it run? If yes, then you just have to enable apache2 service to
>> boot at start. If not, your problem is elsewhere.
>>
> ok, I thought the file /etc/rc2.d/S91apache is what started it.. if not
> what does start it?

Then re-enable the service (man update-rc.d). Afterwards, restart the
system and check if apache2 is running as it should.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-09-2010, 06:50 PM
Paul Cartwright

On 11/09/2010 01:13 PM, Chris Davies wrote:

> apache2 is in /etc/rc2.d/S91apache2

ls -l /etc/*.d/*apache2 please
Chris

# ls -l /etc/*.d/*apache2******

-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 6464 Apr 19* 2010 /etc/init.d/apache2

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root* 293 Apr 19* 2010 /etc/logrotate.d/apache2

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root** 17 Mar* 8* 2009 /etc/rc0.d/K09apache2 ->
../init.d/apache2

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root** 17 Mar* 8* 2009 /etc/rc1.d/K09apache2 ->
../init.d/apache2

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root** 17 Mar* 8* 2009 /etc/rc2.d/S99apache2 ->
../init.d/apache2

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root** 17 Mar* 8* 2009 /etc/rc3.d/S91apache2 ->
../init.d/apache2

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root** 17 Mar* 8* 2009 /etc/rc4.d/S91apache2 ->
../init.d/apache2

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root** 17 Mar* 8* 2009 /etc/rc5.d/S91apache2 ->
../init.d/apache2

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root** 17 Mar* 8* 2009 /etc/rc6.d/K09apache2 ->
../init.d/apache2

(I changed rc2.d/S91 to S99..)

Old 11-09-2010, 07:11 PM
Camaleón

El 2010-11-09 a las 14:49 -0500, Paul Cartwright escribió:

(resending to the list)

> On 11/09/2010 02:39 PM, Camaleón wrote:
> > Then re-enable the service (man update-rc.d). Afterwards, restart the
> > system and check if apache2 is running as it should.

> # update-rc.d apache2 start 91 2 3 4 5 . stop 91 0 1 6 .
> System startup links for /etc/init.d/apache2 already exist.

So, did you run the above command...?

> I'm pretty sure I already looked and those scripts do exist..

...and Apache still does not run automatically after a system reboot?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-09-2010, 07:42 PM
Paul Cartwright

On 11/09/2010 03:11 PM, Camaleón wrote:
>> > # update-rc.d apache2 start 91 2 3 4 5 . stop 91 0 1 6 .
>> > System startup links for /etc/init.d/apache2 already exist.
> So, did you run the above command...?

yes I did, and that was the results..

System startup links for /etc/init.d/apache2 already exist.

no, I didn't reboot again.. can't right now,..