Old 11-09-2010, 01:55 PM
Stephen Fishpaste

Default Older Toshiba won't restart only halt

Greetings!

I've had this issue for some time with this laptop through the various
incarnations of Debian. This is a Toshiba Satellite 1800 circa 2004
with maxed out ram 512 Mb and it runs just fine with LXDE on it.
Presently I'm running Squeeze, with proposed Sid updates.

I've never been able to 'restart' the damn thing. halt -p works fine
but I always have to shutdown and then manually start up again. A pain
in the arse for kernel upgrades. 8>D

Any suggestions as to what I need to do to fix this? Don't have this
problem with other laptops of the same era that I've installed Debian
on either.

Cheers & thanks!

Old 11-09-2010, 02:13 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 09:55:13 -0500, Stephen Fishpaste wrote:

> I've had this issue for some time with this laptop through the various
> incarnations of Debian. This is a Toshiba Satellite 1800 circa 2004 with
> maxed out ram 512 Mb and it runs just fine with LXDE on it. Presently
> I'm running Squeeze, with proposed Sid updates.

Already reported... but no clear solution:

Toshiba Satellite 1800 freezes on restart (that is when Restarting System
now appears)

> I've never been able to 'restart' the damn thing. halt -p works fine but
> I always have to shutdown and then manually start up again. A pain in
> the arse for kernel upgrades. 8>D
>
> Any suggestions as to what I need to do to fix this? Don't have this
> problem with other laptops of the same era that I've installed Debian on
> either.

How are you calling the restart, manually by "shutdown -r now" or by
using LXDE tools? Anything at the logs?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-11-2010, 08:31 AM
Howard Eisenberger

On 2010-11-09, Stephen Fishpaste wrote:

> I've had this issue for some time with this laptop through the various
> incarnations of Debian. This is a Toshiba Satellite 1800 circa 2004
> with maxed out ram 512 Mb and it runs just fine with LXDE on it.
> Presently I'm running Squeeze, with proposed Sid updates.
>
> I've never been able to 'restart' the damn thing. halt -p works fine
> but I always have to shutdown and then manually start up again. A pain
> in the arse for kernel upgrades. 8>D
>
> Any suggestions as to what I need to do to fix this? Don't have this
> problem with other laptops of the same era that I've installed Debian
> on either.

Same thing here with a cheapo Intel P4 motherboard running Squeeze.
No desktop manager. I haven't investigated, as the machine is rarely
used, but it looks like the issue is not restricted to laptops.

Regards,

Howard E.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:49 AM

My roommate says your issue is most likely ACPI and alternate OS's such as windows are likely to have same issues.

He said it's a common problem with aging toshibas and he hasn't found a workable solution.

He suggest testing with other OS's such as windows or a live cd distro to verify chip issues and eliminate software as a culprit

Hope it's helpful;
TeddyB

Old 11-11-2010, 11:16 AM
Klistvud

On 2010-11-09, Stephen Fishpaste wrote:

> I've had this issue for some time with this laptop through the
various

> incarnations of Debian. This is a Toshiba Satellite 1800 circa 2004
> with maxed out ram 512 Mb and it runs just fine with LXDE on it.
> Presently I'm running Squeeze, with proposed Sid updates.
>
> I've never been able to 'restart' the damn thing. halt -p works fine
> but I always have to shutdown and then manually start up again. A
pain

> in the arse for kernel upgrades. 8>D
>
> Any suggestions as to what I need to do to fix this? Don't have this
> problem with other laptops of the same era that I've installed
Debian

> on either.

Same thing here with a cheapo Intel P4 motherboard running Squeeze.
No desktop manager. I haven't investigated, as the machine is rarely
used, but it looks like the issue is not restricted to laptops.

Off the top of my head: sometimes, it's a BIOS issue (particularly the
ACPI, APM, Power Saving and similar BIOS entries, such as "PnP OS
enabled").

Just an idea that might turn out to be worth investigating.

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com