Old 11-09-2010, 11:24 AM
Toomas Aas

Default Smart Array P212 and Sarge

Hello!

I'm looking for new hardware for a server which is running a
customized Linux version based on Debian Sarge. The hardware I'm being
offered has a Smart Array P212 controller, and I'm not sure whether it
would work with Sarge. Has anyone tried this combination?

The system which is installed on this hardware is installed from a
custom CD and there is no way to modify the underlying Linux by adding
drivers, changing boot loader parameters or anything like that - the
hardware just has to work with what is on CD:

Linux 2.6.20.10
cciss driver 3.6.14

Thanks in advance

--
Toomas Aas

Archive: 20101109142449.62484kt4j2ayweww@webmail.raad.tartu .ee">http://lists.debian.org/20101109142449.62484kt4j2ayweww@webmail.raad.tartu .ee

Old 11-09-2010, 01:24 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 14:24:49 +0200, Toomas Aas wrote:

> I'm looking for new hardware for a server which is running a customized
> Linux version based on Debian Sarge. The hardware I'm being offered has
> a Smart Array P212 controller, and I'm not sure whether it would work
> with Sarge. Has anyone tried this combination?

http://cciss.sourceforge.net/#supportedhardware

P212 seems to be covered by cciss _but_ you should look into 3.6.14
release and check from the source files (readme, release notes and/or
doc) if P212 is supported specifically under this version.

If you are thinking in getting a Proliant server, you can also look here:

http://wiki.debian.org/HP/ProLiant

> The system which is installed on this hardware is installed from a
> custom CD and there is no way to modify the underlying Linux by adding
> drivers, changing boot loader parameters or anything like that - the
> hardware just has to work with what is on CD: Linux 2.6.20.10
> cciss driver 3.6.14

If 100% compatibility is a must, maybe buying the same controller you are
currently using with your server would be the best approach. Is the only
way to ensure the new piece of hardware will work in the same manner as
it does now.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón