Old 11-09-2010, 07:04 AM
Yuwen Dai

Default how to install debian on a external USB disk

Dear all,

I've been using Debian stable for years.* Now I'd like to try Debian unstable or test on* an external USB disk without modifying anything on my current disk, including partition as well as grub. Would you please give me any guides on this?* Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Yuwen

Old 11-09-2010, 10:10 AM
Camaleón

On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 16:04:12 +0800, Yuwen Dai wrote:

> I've been using Debian stable for years. Now I'd like to try Debian
> unstable or test on an external USB disk without modifying anything on
> my current disk, including partition as well as grub. Would you please
> give me any guides on this? Thanks in advance.

You should proceed as usual (using expert installer). Installer will
detect USB disk and then you can make partitions at your wish. Just
remember to install GRUB in MBR of the USB disk.

If it fails at installing GRUB, do not worry, select "no boot loader" to
install, end Debian installation and afterwards you can install GRUB
using SGD (SuperGrubDisk).

As an alternative (and for software testing purposes) you could install a
virtual machine for Squeeze/Sid.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-09-2010, 11:32 AM
Yuwen Dai

You should proceed as usual (using expert installer). Installer will

detect USB disk and then you can make partitions at your wish. Just

remember to install GRUB in MBR of the USB disk.

If it fails at installing GRUB, do not worry, select "no boot loader" to

install, end Debian installation and afterwards you can install GRUB

using SGD (SuperGrubDisk).

As an alternative (and for software testing purposes) you could install a

virtual machine for Squeeze/Sid.

In theory, I guess USB driver modules should be built in Linux kernel or in* a ramdisk, otherwise kernel can not recognize USB disks, right?

Best regards,

Yuwen
*

Greetings,

--

Camaleón

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/pan.2010.11.09.11.10.32@gmail.com

Old 11-09-2010, 11:57 AM
Camaleón

On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 20:32:51 +0800, Yuwen Dai wrote:

>> You should proceed as usual (using expert installer). Installer will
>> detect USB disk and then you can make partitions at your wish. Just
>> remember to install GRUB in MBR of the USB disk.
>>
>> If it fails at installing GRUB, do not worry, select "no boot loader"
>> to install, end Debian installation and afterwards you can install GRUB
>> using SGD (SuperGrubDisk).
>>
>> As an alternative (and for software testing purposes) you could install
>> a virtual machine for Squeeze/Sid.
>>

> In theory, I guess USB driver modules should be built in Linux kernel or
> in a ramdisk, otherwise kernel can not recognize USB disks, right?

I doubt the installation kernel does not come with the required USB
modules embedded :-)

JFYI:

***
Install Debian Lenny on USB Hard Drive
http://linux.koolsolutions.com/2009/01/28/installing-linux-on-usb-part-2-install-debian-lenny-on-usb-hard-drive/
***

Installation should be straight forward.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-09-2010, 12:49 PM
Paul Cartwright

On 11/09/2010 07:57 AM, Camaleón wrote:
> Install Debian Lenny on USB Hard Drive
> http://linux.koolsolutions.com/2009/01/28/installing-linux-on-usb-part-2-install-debian-lenny-on-usb-hard-drive/
> ***
>
> Installation should be straight forward.
or just instell unetbootin..

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Old 11-09-2010, 03:46 PM
Johan Scheepers

I've been using Debian stable for years. Now I'd like to try Debian
unstable or test on an external USB disk without modifying anything
on my current disk, including partition as well as grub. Would you
please give me any guides on this? Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Yuwen

What I do is disconnect all drives except the one I want to use.

I have suse, ubuntu, debian on different usb external drives.

I just disconnect and connect to usb what I want to use and it works for
me more than 2 years

.
Enjoy
Johan

Archive: 4CD97AEB.7080803@telkomsa.net">http://lists.debian.org/4CD97AEB.7080803@telkomsa.net

Old 11-09-2010, 06:21 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Yuwen Dai wrote:

Dear all,

I've been using Debian stable for years. Now I'd like to try Debian
unstable or test on an external USB disk without modifying anything on
my current disk, including partition as well as grub. Would you please
give me any guides on this? Thanks in advance.

I run with 2 external USB disks and have for years. Most of the time my
root partition is on an USB disk.

D-i is straight forward, just select the USB disk. Instead of grub I
prefer to run with SuperGrubDisk because that allows you to search for
the right partition and fill in what the rootdevice is. Otherwise you
are always messing around with what the disk number is. Because that
changes.

Pro: much easier to change the disk.
Con: slower than an interior disk. Except when you can use the SATA
cable on the exterior disk, but I have trouble with my mobo on that.

Hugo

Archive: ibc70d$iu0$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/ibc70d$iu0$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 11-21-2010, 06:03 AM
Yuwen Dai

I run with 2 external USB disks and have for years. Most of the time my root partition is on an USB disk.

D-i is straight forward, just select the USB disk. Instead of grub I prefer to run with SuperGrubDisk because that allows you to search for the right partition and fill in what the rootdevice is. Otherwise you are always messing around with what the disk number is. Because that changes.

Pro: much easier to change the disk.

Con: slower than an interior disk. Except when you can use the SATA cable on the exterior disk, but I have trouble with my mobo on that.

I've successfully installed Debian Squeeze on an external USB disk.* At first grub was incorrectly installed on the internal disk, which caused the system unbootalbe.* Then I used the install disk as a rescue and fixed the issue.* Thank you all!

Best regards,
Yuwen