-   -   postfix & dovecot- IMAP/Maildir format not working-GMAIL import of Yahoo (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/449437-postfix-dovecot-imap-maildir-format-not-working-gmail-import-yahoo.html)

Paul Cartwright 11-08-2010 10:10 AM

postfix & dovecot- IMAP/Maildir format not working-GMAIL import of Yahoo

On 11/08/2010 03:20 AM, Andrei Popescu wrote:> Because Yahoo has paid only POP3
access. You can however let another

> free provider fetch your yahoo mail, like Gmail or GMX, both
offer quite

> good IMAP/POP access

I didn't realize that you could import Yahoo email into
GMail.. but it DOES use "yet another third party app":

http://www.trueswitch.com/gmail/terms/index_en.html?lang=en

and it is limited, and it is a beta, and it will only pull in mail
for up to 30 days.

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Andrei Popescu 11-08-2010 06:21 PM

On Lu, 08 nov 10, 06:10:06, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On 11/08/2010 03:20 AM, Andrei Popescu wrote:> Because Yahoo has paid
> only POP3 access. You can however let another
> > free provider fetch your yahoo mail, like Gmail or GMX, both offer quite
> > good IMAP/POP access
>
> I didn't realize that you could import Yahoo email into GMail.. but it
> DOES use "yet another third party app":
> http://www.trueswitch.com/gmail/terms/index_en.html?lang=en
> and it is limited, and it is a beta, and it will only pull in mail for
> up to 30 days.

Nope. See
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&ctx=mail&answer=21288

(Yes, it says your provider has to have POP access, but it works for me
with my Yahoo account and so did GMX.

Regards,
Andrei

Paul Cartwright 11-08-2010 06:33 PM

On 11/08/2010 02:21 PM, Andrei Popescu wrote:
>> > I didn't realize that you could import Yahoo email into GMail.. but it
>> > DOES use "yet another third party app":
>> > http://www.trueswitch.com/gmail/terms/index_en.html?lang=en
>> > and it is limited, and it is a beta, and it will only pull in mail for
>> > up to 30 days.
> Nope. See
> http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&ctx=mail&answer=21288
>
> (Yes, it says your provider has to have POP access, but it works for me
> with my Yahoo account and so did GMX.
thanks, I did set it up!

Celejar 11-09-2010 07:25 PM

postfix & dovecot- IMAP/Maildir format not working-GMAIL import of Yahoo

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 21:21:17 +0200
Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Lu, 08 nov 10, 06:10:06, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> > On 11/08/2010 03:20 AM, Andrei Popescu wrote:> Because Yahoo has paid
> > only POP3 access. You can however let another
> > > free provider fetch your yahoo mail, like Gmail or GMX, both offer quite
> > > good IMAP/POP access
> >
> > I didn't realize that you could import Yahoo email into GMail.. but it
> > DOES use "yet another third party app":
> > http://www.trueswitch.com/gmail/terms/index_en.html?lang=en
> > and it is limited, and it is a beta, and it will only pull in mail for
> > up to 30 days.
>
> Nope. See
> http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&ctx=mail&answer=21288
>
> (Yes, it says your provider has to have POP access, but it works for me
> with my Yahoo account and so did GMX.

Whoa. This sounded really weird - is Gmail scraping Yahoo? Or do they
have a private deal to get POP access? Why would Yahoo do that?

So I began to try it myself - but when I saw that it was clearly a POP
setup, right before handing over my Yahoo password to Gmail, I thought
that I'd better try POP myself first. So I fired up getmail, and
voilą! Vanilla POP access!

Yahoo still claims that you only get POP access if you sign up for Mail
Plus:

> Do I have to sign up for Yahoo! Mail Plus to POP my mail?
>
> Last Updated: August 31, 2010
>
> The ability to access Yahoo! Mail via a POP3 email client (such as
> Outlook or Outlook Express) is only available to customers of our
> premium Yahoo! Mail Plus service.
>
> If you have not purchased the Yahoo! Mail Plus service, you will be
> unable to retrieve messages via an email client. To determine whether
> or not you have purchased this service, please visit the My Services
> page.

*shrugs*

FWIW, I'm using POP over SSL at port 995:

Celejar

Paul Cartwright 11-09-2010 07:47 PM

postfix & dovecot- IMAP/Maildir format not working-GMAIL import of Yahoo

So I began to try it myself - but when I saw that it was clearly a POP
setup, right before handing over my Yahoo password to Gmail, I thought
that I'd better try POP myself first. So I fired up getmail, and
voilą! Vanilla POP access!

Yahoo still claims that you only get POP access if you sign up for Mail
Plus:
*shrugs*

FWIW, I'm using POP over SSL at port 995:

*I tried it:

Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server pop.mail.yahoo.com
responded: pop not allowed for user.

Celejar 11-09-2010 11:55 PM

postfix & dovecot- IMAP/Maildir format not working-GMAIL import of Yahoo

On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 15:47:14 -0500
Paul Cartwright <debian@pcartwright.com> wrote:

> On 11/09/2010 03:25 PM, Celejar wrote:
> > So I began to try it myself - but when I saw that it was clearly a POP
> > setup, right before handing over my Yahoo password to Gmail, I thought
> > that I'd better try POP myself first. So I fired up getmail, and
> > voilą! Vanilla POP access!
> >
> > Yahoo still claims that you only get POP access if you sign up for Mail
> > Plus:
> > *shrugs*
> >
> > FWIW, I'm using POP over SSL at port 995:
> I tried it:
> Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server pop.mail.yahoo.com
> responded: pop not allowed for user.

Don't know - works here. Does the Gmail importer work for you?

Celejar

Paul Cartwright 11-10-2010 12:54 AM

On 11/09/2010 07:55 PM, Celejar wrote:
>> > I tried it:
>> > Sending of password did not succeed. Mail server pop.mail.yahoo.com
>> > responded: pop not allowed for user.
> Don't know - works here. Does the Gmail importer work for you?

yes! would be nicer if I didn't have to go through 3 gateways, but it
does work..

Celejar 11-10-2010 01:06 AM

postfix & dovecot- IMAP/Maildir format not working-GMAIL import of Yahoo

On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 20:54:07 -0500
Paul Cartwright <debian@pcartwright.com> wrote:

> > Don't know - works here. Does the Gmail importer work for you?
> >
> yes! would be nicer if I didn't have to go through 3 gateways, but it
> does work..

This doesn't add up - how can Gmail work if POP isn't functional? What
tool are you trying to POP with? What port, etc.?

Celejar

Stan Hoeppner 11-10-2010 01:29 AM

postfix & dovecot- IMAP/Maildir format not working-GMAIL import of Yahoo

Celejar put forth on 11/9/2010 8:06 PM:
> On Tue, 09 Nov 2010 20:54:07 -0500
> Paul Cartwright <debian@pcartwright.com> wrote:

>>> Don't know - works here. Does the Gmail importer work for you?
>>>
>> yes! would be nicer if I didn't have to go through 3 gateways, but it
>> does work..
>
> This doesn't add up - how can Gmail work if POP isn't functional? What
> tool are you trying to POP with? What port, etc.?

Telnet or openssl s_client would be the most straightforward testing method:

http://www.anta.net/misc/telnet-troubleshooting/pop.shtml

--
Stan

Paul Cartwright 11-10-2010 10:06 AM

On 11/09/2010 09:29 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

>> > This doesn't add up - how can Gmail work if POP isn't functional? What
>> > tool are you trying to POP with? What port, etc.?
> Telnet or openssl s_client would be the most straightforward testing method:
>
> http://www.anta.net/misc/telnet-troubleshooting/pop.shtml
>
> --
Gmail uses a 3rd party app called TrueSwitcher to get webmail from other
parties..
it isn't pop3..