Old 11-08-2010, 05:30 AM
consul tores

Default chips i3/i5 support

Hello

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 14, which has 1 Intel Core i3 (330) or
maybe 4. I installed Lenny amd64 having a few different problems, but
i would like to install Squeeze on it.

My question is, what should be the most suitable linux kernel for this
laptop? Please tell me what specific information is needed., if it
were the case.

thanks.

--
* * * * ** Consultores Agropecuarios.
Administracion, Produccion, Capacitacion.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:36 AM
Camaleón

On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 22:30:34 -0800, consul tores wrote:

> I have a Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 14, which has 1 Intel Core i3 (330) or
> maybe 4. I installed Lenny amd64 having a few different problems, but i
> would like to install Squeeze on it.
>
> My question is, what should be the most suitable linux kernel for this
> laptop? Please tell me what specific information is needed., if it were
> the case.

"amd64" should be fine.

What problems were you facing?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-08-2010, 08:00 AM
Klistvud

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 14, which has 1 Intel Core i3 (330) or
maybe 4. I installed Lenny amd64 having a few different problems, but
i would like to install Squeeze on it.

My question is, what should be the most suitable linux kernel for this
laptop? Please tell me what specific information is needed., if it
were the case.

thanks.

Speaking generally, the most recent kernel should be best for recent
machines (more hardware support); in this case, the stock squeeze
kernel should do. Just try it out and see.

For not quite so new machines, your mileage may vary.

--
Cheerio,

Klistvud
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com
me.

Old 11-08-2010, 09:59 AM
Mark Allums

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 14, which has 1 Intel Core i3 (330) or
maybe 4. I installed Lenny amd64 having a few different problems, but
i would like to install Squeeze on it.

My question is, what should be the most suitable linux kernel for this
laptop? Please tell me what specific information is needed., if it
were the case.

thanks.

Speaking generally, the most recent kernel should be best for recent
machines (more hardware support); in this case, the stock squeeze kernel
should do. Just try it out and see.

For not quite so new machines, your mileage may vary.

The Squeeze kernel, 2.6.32, is suitable for Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs. In
general, Squeeze should work for most hardware; however, kernel 32 is
actually fairly long in the tooth, and my opinion is that they should
have picked a more recent kernel for the Squeeze release. I plan to
install 2.6.36 or 37 from Sid after Squeeze is released, which I think
will be feasible. (Of course 5-6 months, possibly sooner, after the
release of Squeeze, I plan to move to Wheezy.)

In other words, as Klitvud says, support for new hardware is
successively added to each newer kernel, so the more recent your kernel
version, the better support there will be for your PC, not only CPU, but
all the various devices.

Archive: 4CD7D7FF.4000109@allums.com">http://lists.debian.org/4CD7D7FF.4000109@allums.com

Old 11-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Arnt Karlsen

On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 04:59:11 -0600, Mark wrote in message
<4CD7D7FF.4000109@allums.com>:

> On 11/8/2010 3:00 AM, Klistvud wrote:
> > Dne, 08. 11. 2010 07:30:34 je consul tores napisal(a):
> >> Hello
> >>
> >> I have a Lenovo ThinkPad Edge 14, which has 1 Intel Core i3 (330)
> >> or maybe 4. I installed Lenny amd64 having a few different
> >> problems, but i would like to install Squeeze on it.
> >>
> >> My question is, what should be the most suitable linux kernel for
> >> this laptop? Please tell me what specific information is needed.,
> >> if it were the case.
> >>
> >> thanks.
> >
> > Speaking generally, the most recent kernel should be best for recent
> > machines (more hardware support); in this case, the stock squeeze
> > kernel should do. Just try it out and see.
> >
> > For not quite so new machines, your mileage may vary.

..IME, hardware needs to be very old to lose e.g. X support,
I have a few ATI mach64 cards that I hear now needs "mach64"
in xorg.conf rather than the good old "ati" wrapper.

> The Squeeze kernel, 2.6.32, is suitable for Core i3/i5/i7 CPUs. In
> general, Squeeze should work for most hardware; however, kernel 32 is
> actually fairly long in the tooth, and my opinion is that they should
> have picked a more recent kernel for the Squeeze release. I plan to
> install 2.6.36 or 37 from Sid after Squeeze is released, which I
> think will be feasible. (Of course 5-6 months, possibly sooner,
> after the release of Squeeze, I plan to move to Wheezy.)

..if you wanna try 2.6.36 and the most recent intel video etc
drivers, install Sid/"Unstable", then add "Experimental", I run
"aptitude -t experimental " after each normal update & upgrade.

> In other words, as Klitvud says, support for new hardware is
> successively added to each newer kernel, so the more recent your
> kernel version, the better support there will be for your PC, not
> only CPU, but all the various devices.

..in "production" in my 3 radeon boxes, a 2-tread 3.2G P4 with
an X850XTPE, an AMD Athlon(tm) XP 3000+ with an 9800Pro, both
on i686 and at 2048x1536x32bit@59.4 and 58.8fps, and a "core2"
T7200 laptop with "Mobility FireGL V5200" on amd64 and at the
native 1920x1200x32bit@60fps.

Scenarios always come in sets of three:

Old 11-08-2010, 06:32 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Lu, 08 nov 10, 17:07:38, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> drivers, install Sid/"Unstable", then add "Experimental", I run
> "aptitude -t experimental " after each normal update & upgrade.

Why don't you just pin experimental to something higher than 100?

Regards,
Andrei

Old 11-08-2010, 10:34 PM
consul tores

2010/11/8 Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>:
> On Lu, 08 nov 10, 17:07:38, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
>> drivers, install Sid/"Unstable", then add "Experimental", I run
>> "aptitude -t experimental " after each normal update & upgrade.
>
> Why don't you just pin experimental to something higher than 100?
>
> Regards,
> Andrei

Ok, thanks to all

I will try Squeeze, 2.6.32-5-amd64, and see what features are lost.

Old 11-09-2010, 01:11 AM
Arnt Karlsen

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 21:32:41 +0200, Andrei wrote in message
<20101108193241.GH1819@think.homelan>:

> On Lu, 08 nov 10, 17:07:38, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> > drivers, install Sid/"Unstable", then add "Experimental", I run
> > "aptitude -t experimental " after each normal update & upgrade.
>
> Why don't you just pin experimental to something higher than 100?

..I like to _smell_ the test smoke in my boxes. ;o)

Scenarios always come in sets of three: