Old 11-07-2010, 08:49 PM
Javier Vasquez

Default DebTorrent status and apt-p2p howto...

Hi,

I like torrent a lot as a mechanism to share information. I believe
the DebTorrent project is great cause it might enable upgrading
systems not necesarily from one mirror but from different seeders and
leechers, freeing up resources, and perhaps making upgrades faster,
and all under the user control (one can decide when to start sharing,
when to stop sharing, and which favorite engine to use, I like and
only use rtorrent btw, download bandwidth, upload bandwidth, etc).
Any ways does any one know the status of debTorrent? Is it to come to
reality anytime soon?

I realize there's also apt-p2p, but it's not torrent, which I prefer.
At any rate, it allows also sharing among users. However, as I have
never used it, I'm wondering some things, for example even if a
package gets hashed into a DHT (distributed hash table), if I clean up
the downloaded packages through "aptitude clean", then the packages
are no longer available, and this should cleanup also the DHT I hope
(since the package is no longer available in the box). But this also
implies changing upgrade habits, for example I always cleanup the
cache before and after every upgrade (it's useful to prevent growing
the disk cache area)... However if one uses like me unstable
distribution and keeps periodically upgrading the boxes, one can't
just never do "aptitude clean", since that mean keeping not the latest
versions of each packet, but several old ones as well, and that for me
is a no go... Doing apt-clean only before upgrading might be a good
practice, since then one just keeps the recently downloaded packages,
but of course previously downloaded ones are lost. This is not that
bad if people periodically upgraded systems, since then the only ones
required are the latest packages upgraded, and this for now sounds
like my way to go if I decide to use apt-p2p. Notice these might be
valid issues for debTorrent as well, though I like torrents better
given the flexibility and controllability it provides.

So is there kind of good practices guide for using apt-p2p, including
how to keep just the latest version of packages downloaded? And if
debTorrent is already functional and ready for testing, are there
similar guides for it as well?

Thanks,

--
Javier.

Old 11-10-2010, 02:18 AM
Javier Vasquez

To my surprise debtorrent is pretty functional... Bad thing it
doesn't work under proxy (firewall), so I can't take advantage of it
at work...

Still is pending for me a set of good practices, how much disk space
would be decent, etc...

Javier.

--
Javier.