Old 11-07-2010, 05:26 PM
Roman Khomasuridze

Default HP Laserjet not printing.

Hello kind people
Recently I've purchased HP laserjet p1102 printer, I've lost whole sunday in trying to get it work.

i use Lenny, installed CUPS from main, and hplip and hplip-cups from lenny-backports (3.10.5). HP site says that this version of hplip is satisfiable for my model.
I added printer in cups, typed its URI �>> hp:/usb/HP_LaserJet_Professional_P1102?serial=000000000QN0 2H3DSI1c
chose my printer model, hit apply.I can see printer in CUPS and gnome, status is:
Printer Driver: HP LaserJet Professional p1102, hpcups 3.10.5, requires proprietary plugin
Printer State: idle, accepting jobs, published.�Device URI: hp:/usb/HP_LaserJet_Professional_P1102?serial=000000000QN0 2H3DSI1c

When I hit 'Print test page' popups in gnome show that printer accepted and�successfully�finished its jobs, but�actually, there is no reaction, and printer is stopped.
cups error-log shows�
E [07/Nov/2010:21:13:37 +0400] Resume-Printer: UnauthorizedE [07/Nov/2010:21:13:37 +0400] cupsdAuthorize: Local authentication certificate not found!
E [07/Nov/2010:21:13:37 +0400] cupsdAuthorize: Local authentication certificate not found!E [07/Nov/2010:21:13:37 +0400] cupsdAuthorize: Local authentication certificate not found!E [07/Nov/2010:21:13:43 +0400] cupsdAuthorize: Local authentication certificate not found!
E [07/Nov/2010:21:13:43 +0400] cupsdAuthorize: Local authentication certificate not found!E [07/Nov/2010:21:13:43 +0400] cupsdAuthorize: Local authentication certificate not found!E [07/Nov/2010:21:13:43 +0400] cupsdAuthorize: Local authentication certificate not found!
E [07/Nov/2010:21:13:43 +0400] cupsdAuthorize: Local authentication certificate not found!E [07/Nov/2010:21:13:43 +0400] cupsdAuthorize: Local authentication certificate not found!E [07/Nov/2010:21:13:43 +0400] cupsdAuthorize: Local authentication certificate not found!
E [07/Nov/2010:21:13:43 +0400] cupsdAuthorize: Local authentication certificate not found!E [07/Nov/2010:21:13:43 +0400] cupsdAuthorize: Local authentication certificate not found!E [07/Nov/2010:21:13:43 +0400] PID 6401 (/usr/lib/cups/backend/hp) stopped with status 1!
E [07/Nov/2010:21:13:44 +0400] cupsdAuthorize: Local authentication certificate not found!E [07/Nov/2010:21:13:44 +0400] cupsdAuthorize: Local authentication certificate not found!E [07/Nov/2010:21:13:44 +0400] cupsdAuthorize: Local authentication certificate not found!
E [07/Nov/2010:21:13:44 +0400] cupsdAuthorize: Local authentication certificate not found!E [07/Nov/2010:21:13:44 +0400] cupsdAuthorize: Local authentication certificate not found!E [07/Nov/2010:21:13:44 +0400] cupsdAuthorize: Local authentication certificate not found!

At first I thought it was permission problems, but, I am member of lp and lpadmin group, also��
ls -l /dev/bus/usb/005/008crw-rw-r-- 1 root lp 189, 519 2010-11-07 20:51 /dev/bus/usb/005/008

Also, when I invoke hp-setup, It says there no devices found, but, I can see it in lsusb:
lsusbBus 005 Device 009: ID 03f0:002a Hewlett-Packard�
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hubBus 002 Device 004: ID 0458:003a KYE Systems Corp. (Mouse Systems) NetScroll+ Mini TravelerBus 002 Device 003: ID 0e6a:6001 Megawin Technology Co., Ltd�

I have absolutely no clue and idea what to do, I've spend all day in reading forums, lists and googling.
Any help will b greatly appreciated.

Regards------------Roman

Old 11-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Camalen

On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 22:26:40 +0400, Roman Khomasuridze wrote:

(...)

> Printer Driver: HP LaserJet Professional p1102, hpcups 3.10.5, requires
> proprietary plugin

It seems your printer needs you to download a propietary plugin:

***
http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/laserjet/hp_laserjet_professional_p1102.html

Driver Plugin Information:

This printer REQUIRES a downloadable driver plug-in. Use hp-setup to
install the printer, and to download and install the plug-in. In general,
required driver plugins are required for printing support. Driver plug-
ins are released under a proprietary (non-open) license and are not part
of the HPLIP tarball release.
***

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 11-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Roman Khomasuridze

Hithanks for reply. but I've*already*found a*solution*(I accidentally send mil to*Debian-desktop list, and go reply there).it was all about of HP Smart install thing. heres link.*http://np237.livejournal.com/29204.html

Regards------------Roman

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/pan.2010.11.07.19.19.06@gmail.com

Old 11-07-2010, 08:34 PM
Camalen

On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 00:28:18 +0400, Roman Khomasuridze wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 7, 2010 at 11:19 PM, Camalen wrote:
>
>> It seems your printer needs you to download a propietary plugin:
>>
>> ***
>>
>> http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/laserjet/hp_laserjet_professional_p1102.html
>>
>> Driver Plugin Information:
>>
>> This printer REQUIRES a downloadable driver plug-in. Use hp-setup to
>> install the printer, and to download and install the plug-in. In
>> general, required driver plugins are required for printing support.
>> Driver plug- ins are released under a proprietary (non-open) license
>> and are not part of the HPLIP tarball release.
>> ***

> Hi
> thanks for reply. but I've already found a solution (I accidentally send
> mil to Debian-desktop list, and go reply there). it was all about of HP
> Smart install thing. heres link. http://np237.livejournal.com/29204.html

Good!

Maybe you can share the steps you followed so anyone facing the same problem
can also solve it :-)

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 11-08-2010, 04:59 AM
Johann Spies

On Sun, Nov 07, 2010 at 11:34:14PM +0200, Camalen wrote:
> > mil to Debian-desktop list, and go reply there). it was all about of HP
> > Smart install thing. heres link. http://np237.livejournal.com/29204.html
>
> Good!
>
> Maybe you can share the steps you followed so anyone facing the same problem
> can also solve it :-)

Yes please. I have bought the same printer this weekend and did not
even take it out of the box. Will probably try to use it by the end of
this week. Your answer can save me time.

Regards
Johann

--
Johann Spies Telefoon: 021-808 4699
Databestuurder / Data manager

Sentrum vir Navorsing oor Evaluasie, Wetenskap en Tegnologie
Centre for Research on Evaluation, Science and Technology
Universiteit Stellenbosch.

"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he
is old, he will not depart from it." Proverbs 22:6

Old 11-08-2010, 05:36 AM
Roman Khomasuridze

Hi,
Well the whole problem was HP "Smart" install which comes with this printer because of this Laserjet registers itself as storage deivce under Debian.

Only way to fix this is to disable this HP Smart install feature from Windows: Go to UTIL folder in the CD that came with printer and run SIUtility. Once you do this, you can configure printer with CUPS or hp-setup without any problems.

For reference see:
http://np237.livejournal.com/29204.html
https://bugs.launchpad.net/hplip/+bug/672134

(Thanks to Josselin Mouette for helping me with this).

Also, to be fully sure that everything works, install hplip version > 3.5.4, printer didn't work with stock lenny hplip version (version 2.8.x as I recall).

Hope that helps

Yes please. *I have bought the same printer this weekend and did *not

even take it out of the box. *Will probably try to use it by the end of

this week. *Your answer can save me time.
Maybe you can share the steps you followed so anyone facing the same problem

can also solve it :-)

Regards
------------
Roman

Old 11-08-2010, 06:58 AM
Camalen

On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 10:36:31 +0400, Roman Khomasuridze wrote:

> Well the whole problem was HP "Smart" install which comes with this
> printer because of this Laserjet registers itself as storage deivce
> under Debian.
>
> Only way to fix this is to disable this HP Smart install feature from
> Windows: Go to UTIL folder in the CD that came with printer and run
> SIUtility.

(...)

Wow... and how does one setup this printer if running only Linux >:-?

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 11-08-2010, 07:32 AM
Stan Hoeppner

Camalen put forth on 11/8/2010 1:58 AM:
> On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 10:36:31 +0400, Roman Khomasuridze wrote:
>
>> Well the whole problem was HP "Smart" install which comes with this
>> printer because of this Laserjet registers itself as storage deivce
>> under Debian.
>>
>> Only way to fix this is to disable this HP Smart install feature from
>> Windows: Go to UTIL folder in the CD that came with printer and run
>> SIUtility.
>
> (...)
>
> Wow... and how does one setup this printer if running only Linux >:-?

Now that he owns this printer, deleting the USB config files and adding
a TCP/IP print server would likely fix the problem, for an extra $40-50
USD or so.

This is just one of the reasons I always recommend purchasing network
enabled printers for use with Linux instead of USB. For another $40-50
USD he could have had a Brother, Lexmark, Samsung mono laser with a
built in ethernet print server. You don't get these USB device
identification problems with network printers.

Matter of fact, I recommend network printers for Windows home users as
well, since most homes have more than 1 PC needing to print these days.

--
Stan

Old 11-08-2010, 07:58 AM
Camalen

On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 02:32:04 -0600, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> Camalen put forth on 11/8/2010 1:58 AM:
>> On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 10:36:31 +0400, Roman Khomasuridze wrote:
>>
>>> Well the whole problem was HP "Smart" install which comes with this
>>> printer because of this Laserjet registers itself as storage deivce
>>> under Debian.
>>>
>>> Only way to fix this is to disable this HP Smart install feature from
>>> Windows: Go to UTIL folder in the CD that came with printer and run
>>> SIUtility.
>>
>> (...)
>>
>> Wow... and how does one setup this printer if running only Linux >:-?
>
> Now that he owns this printer, deleting the USB config files and adding
> a TCP/IP print server would likely fix the problem, for an extra $40-50
> USD or so.

I'm afraid the printer itself costs more or less that.

Anyway, it should work out of the box under linux, and if not, HP has to
correct the information displayed in the webpage because is misleading.

> This is just one of the reasons I always recommend purchasing network
> enabled printers for use with Linux instead of USB. For another $40-50
> USD he could have had a Brother, Lexmark, Samsung mono laser with a
> built in ethernet print server. You don't get these USB device
> identification problems with network printers.
>
> Matter of fact, I recommend network printers for Windows home users as
> well, since most homes have more than 1 PC needing to print these days.

Yes, I also like ethernet based devices but they are costly and not
affordable for everyone.

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 11-08-2010, 07:59 AM
Roman Khomasuridze

Now that he owns this printer, deleting the USB config files and adding

a TCP/IP print server would likely fix the problem, for an extra $40-50

USD or so.

I'm fairly bad with printers, this was my first
experience with printers not in linux but on windows too. Guess that's
my fault, I just bought printer without reading and investigating first.

Wow... and how does one setup this printer if running only Linux >:-?
In my case I had to travel to my father in laws house with my printer

Anyways, there is bug report against hplip regarding this issue.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/hplip/+bug/672134