Old 11-07-2010, 03:39 PM
lee

Default UPS on USB not detected

Hi,

my UPS (HP T750 intl) which is plugged into an USB port with the
supplied USB cable is not detected. Nothing happens when I plug it out
or in, and I tried different USB ports. Itīs the only USB device
connected, and lsusb only shows the host controllers but no USB
devices.

Other USB devices like card readers and USB disks work. Am I missing
some module?

root@yun:~# lsmod |grep usb
usbhid 14977 0
hid 32891 1 usbhid
usbcore 103361 3 usbhid,ehci_hcd,xhci

Old 11-07-2010, 04:13 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 17:39:55 +0100, lee wrote:

> my UPS (HP T750 intl) which is plugged into an USB port with the
> supplied USB cable is not detected. Nothing happens when I plug it out
> or in, and I tried different USB ports. Itīs the only USB device
> connected, and lsusb only shows the host controllers but no USB devices.
>
> Other USB devices like card readers and USB disks work. Am I missing
> some module?

You're maybe missing the program to control your UPS unit (i.e., "nut" or
maybe the manufacturer's own utils, if available).

Before going with Nut, I would suggest you to look into the compatibility
table for UPS devices and verify your UPS brand and model is listed here:

http://www.networkupstools.org/compat/

If not present, perform a Google search to find out additional
information for setting up your device in linux.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-07-2010, 04:26 PM
lee

On Sun, Nov 07, 2010 at 05:13:35PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:
> On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 17:39:55 +0100, lee wrote:
>
> > my UPS (HP T750 intl) which is plugged into an USB port with the
> > supplied USB cable is not detected. Nothing happens when I plug it out
> > or in, and I tried different USB ports. Itīs the only USB device
> > connected, and lsusb only shows the host controllers but no USB devices.
> >
> > Other USB devices like card readers and USB disks work. Am I missing
> > some module?
>
> You're maybe missing the program to control your UPS unit (i.e., "nut" or
> maybe the manufacturer's own utils, if available).
>
> Before going with Nut, I would suggest you to look into the compatibility
> table for UPS devices and verify your UPS brand and model is listed here:
>
> http://www.networkupstools.org/compat/

Nut supports it via usbhid-ups. Itīll probably work once the UPS is
detected as USB device, so I figure the first problem that needs to be
solved is that the UPS isnīt detected at all.

I know why I hate USB ...

Old 11-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Paul Cartwright

On 11/07/2010 11:39 AM, lee wrote:
> my UPS (HP T750 intl) which is plugged into an USB port with the
> supplied USB cable is not detected. Nothing happens when I plug it out
> or in, and I tried different USB ports. Itīs the only USB device
> connected, and lsusb only shows the host controllers but no USB
> devices.
>
> Other USB devices like card readers and USB disks work. Am I missing
> some module?

I have an APC Ups on my system, and it tells me when the power takes a
hit, and powers down the PC when the battery is going dead.. I have a
package installed to make that happen:
# dpkg --list |grep apcupsd
ii apcupsd
3.14.8-2 APC UPS Power Management (daemon)
ii apcupsd-doc
3.14.8-2 APC UPS Power Management
(documentation/examples)

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Old 11-07-2010, 05:09 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 18:26:44 +0100, lee wrote:

> On Sun, Nov 07, 2010 at 05:13:35PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:

>> > Other USB devices like card readers and USB disks work. Am I missing
>> > some module?
>>
>> You're maybe missing the program to control your UPS unit (i.e., "nut"
>> or maybe the manufacturer's own utils, if available).
>>
>> Before going with Nut, I would suggest you to look into the
>> compatibility table for UPS devices and verify your UPS brand and model
>> is listed here:
>>
>> http://www.networkupstools.org/compat/
>
> Nut supports it via usbhid-ups. Itīll probably work once the UPS is
> detected as USB device, so I figure the first problem that needs to be
> solved is that the UPS isnīt detected at all.

Nothing in "dmesg"?

> I know why I hate USB ...

:-)

Does the unit attach a serial port?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-07-2010, 05:19 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

lee wrote:

Hi,

my UPS (HP T750 intl) which is plugged into an USB port with the
supplied USB cable is not detected. Nothing happens when I plug it out
or in, and I tried different USB ports. Itīs the only USB device
connected, and lsusb only shows the host controllers but no USB
devices.

<snip>

You're in luck. NUT in its stable compat supports the HP T750 intl with
driver usbhid-ups.

Install NUT and you're all set.

But usually I check what I see in stores (in Mexico) with NUT and I get
zip. APC is well supported with apcupsd but I never see it here.

Hugo

Archive: ib6qj0$792$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/ib6qj0$792$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 11-07-2010, 05:38 PM
lee

On Sun, Nov 07, 2010 at 12:19:12PM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> lee wrote:
> >Hi,
> >
> >my UPS (HP T750 intl) which is plugged into an USB port with the
> >supplied USB cable is not detected. Nothing happens when I plug it out
> >or in, and I tried different USB ports. Itīs the only USB device
> >connected, and lsusb only shows the host controllers but no USB
> >devices.
>

> <snip>
>
> You're in luck. NUT in its stable compat supports the HP T750 intl
> with driver usbhid-ups.

That probably only works when the USV is detected as an USB device
first.

> Install NUT and you're all set.

Iīve nut installed, but it doesnīt work:

root@yun:~# lsusb
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0003 Linux Foundation 3.0 root hub
root@yun:~# /lib/nut/usbhid-ups -D -D -a myups
Network UPS Tools - Generic HID driver 0.34 (2.4.3)
USB communication driver 0.31
0.000000 debug level is '2'
0.000990 upsdrv_initups...
0.001382 Checking device (1D6B/0002) (003/001)
0.001446 - VendorID: 1d6b
0.001458 - ProductID: 0002
0.001468 - Manufacturer: unknown
0.001478 - Product: unknown
0.001487 - Serial Number: unknown
0.001496 - Bus: 003
0.001505 Trying to match device
0.001533 Device does not match - skipping
0.001550 Checking device (1D6B/0002) (002/001)
0.001582 - VendorID: 1d6b
0.001593 - ProductID: 0002
0.001602 - Manufacturer: unknown
0.001611 - Product: unknown
0.001620 - Serial Number: unknown
0.001629 - Bus: 002
0.001638 Trying to match device
0.001649 Device does not match - skipping
0.001662 Checking device (1D6B/0003) (001/001)
0.001693 - VendorID: 1d6b
0.001703 - ProductID: 0003
0.001712 - Manufacturer: unknown
0.001721 - Product: unknown
0.001731 - Serial Number: unknown
0.001740 - Bus: 001
0.001748 Trying to match device
0.001759 Device does not match - skipping
0.001774 No appropriate HID device found
0.001787 No matching HID UPS found

As you can see, the USV is not detected. Itīs plugged in, though.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:44 PM
lee

On Sun, Nov 07, 2010 at 06:09:30PM +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> > Nut supports it via usbhid-ups. Itīll probably work once the UPS is
> > detected as USB device, so I figure the first problem that needs to be
> > solved is that the UPS isnīt detected at all.
>
> Nothing in "dmesg"?

root@yun:~# dmesg |grep -i usb
[ 8095.506188] usbcore: registered new interface driver usbhid
[ 8095.506195] usbhid: v2.6:USB HID core driver

So I assume that the USB modules are all available and working, unless
Iīm missing one.

> Does the unit attach a serial port?

Yes, and it came with the serial cable. But I donīt have a serial port
on my computer. Even if I had one, nut doesnīt seem to have support
for the HP T750 via a serial cable but only via USB.

If thereīs some software supporting this UPS via a serial cable, I can
check if thereīs a connector on the mainboard for a serial port, but
which software would that be?

Old 11-07-2010, 05:46 PM
lee

On Sun, Nov 07, 2010 at 12:32:25PM -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On 11/07/2010 11:39 AM, lee wrote:
> > my UPS (HP T750 intl) which is plugged into an USB port with the
> > supplied USB cable is not detected. Nothing happens when I plug it out
> > or in, and I tried different USB ports. Itīs the only USB device
> > connected, and lsusb only shows the host controllers but no USB
> > devices.
> >
> > Other USB devices like card readers and USB disks work. Am I missing
> > some module?
> >
> ii apcupsd
> 3.14.8-2 APC UPS Power Management (daemon)

As far as I could find out, apcupsd only supports UPSs made by APC,
perhaps some others, but not the one I have.

Old 11-07-2010, 05:52 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

lee wrote:

Hi,

my UPS (HP T750 intl) which is plugged into an USB port with the
supplied USB cable is not detected. Nothing happens when I plug it out
or in, and I tried different USB ports. Itīs the only USB device
connected, and lsusb only shows the host controllers but no USB
devices.

<snip>

You're in luck. NUT in its stable compat supports the HP T750 intl
with driver usbhid-ups.

That probably only works when the USV is detected as an USB device
first.

Install NUT and you're all set.

Iīve nut installed, but it doesnīt work:

<snip>

As you can see, the USV is not detected. Itīs plugged in, though.

I use apcupsd with an apc ups. What's an USV? Google says 'unmanned
surface vehicle'?

Hugo