-   -   XDMCP mess (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/449134-xdmcp-mess.html)

Nuno Magalh„es 11-07-2010 01:24 PM

XDMCP mess

Greetings,

I've been trying to set up an XDMCP connection for a few days in my
LAN, to no avail. My current setup is:
- one desktop running two xservers, one managed by slim, the other by
xdm. I was able to connect to this xdm from one of the winVMs using
Xming.
- one laptop running one xserver manage by gdm, from where i'm trying
to connect to the desktop,

I've added magic cookies with xauth, fiddled with xdm's Xservers,
wondered why gdm's conf is not under /etc/X11 and fiddled with it as
well, added :x lines to files, uncomented, read howtos that are not as
detailed as i'd like (and mostly assume remote linux local windows),
etc. My conf files are a mess.

There's also chooser, but the laptop's gdm doesn't find anything on
the LAN. I don't need two xservers on the desktop, but it should allow
local and remote inbound connections. Same for the laptop, outbound. I
don't care which DM i use. I've briefly tried Xnest but couldn't even
get it to start.

Does anyone have some nice detailed RTFM suggestions and/or tips?

TIA,
Nuno

--
Mars 2 Stay!
http://xkcd.com/801/

Arnt Karlsen 11-07-2010 11:30 PM

XDMCP mess

On Sun, 7 Nov 2010 14:24:57 +0000, Nuno wrote in message
<AANLkTi=QAdK6KFX-k1YccWzVLvPBrrUsbu0zLyz9X9zw@mail.gmail.com>:

> Greetings,
>
> I've been trying to set up an XDMCP connection for a few days in my
> LAN, to no avail. My current setup is:
> - one desktop running two xservers, one managed by slim, the other by
> xdm. I was able to connect to this xdm from one of the winVMs using
> Xming.
> - one laptop running one xserver manage by gdm, from where i'm trying
> to connect to the desktop,
>
> I've added magic cookies with xauth, fiddled with xdm's Xservers,
> wondered why gdm's conf is not under /etc/X11 and fiddled with it as
> well, added :x lines to files, uncomented, read howtos that are not as
> detailed as i'd like (and mostly assume remote linux local windows),
> etc. My conf files are a mess.
>
> There's also chooser, but the laptop's gdm doesn't find anything on
> the LAN. I don't need two xservers on the desktop, but it should allow
> local and remote inbound connections. Same for the laptop, outbound. I
> don't care which DM i use. I've briefly tried Xnest but couldn't even
> get it to start.
>
> Does anyone have some nice detailed RTFM suggestions and/or tips?

..try ' ps axu |grep nolisten '. ;o)

Scenarios always come in sets of three:

Nuno Magalh„es 11-07-2010 11:50 PM

XDMCP mess

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 00:30, Arnt Karlsen <arnt@c2i.net> wrote:
> ..try ' ps axu |grep nolisten '. ;o)

XDMCP works well with UDP and there's no reason to use TCP, SSH can
tunnel UDP. The only nolisten's i use are for TCP.

--
Mars 2 Stay!
http://xkcd.com/801/

Arnt Karlsen 11-08-2010 02:14 AM

XDMCP mess

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 00:50:13 +0000, Nuno wrote in message
<AANLkTik-sN8+WNQbPrHedrYhsPXuzazLZdh3rzKs1+EB@mail.gmail.co m>:

> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 00:30, Arnt Karlsen <arnt@c2i.net> wrote:
> > ..try ' ps axu |grep nolisten '. ;o)
>
> XDMCP works well with UDP and there's no reason to use TCP, SSH can
> tunnel UDP. The only nolisten's i use are for TCP.

..I lost you here, do you have your XDMCP connection working now???

Scenarios always come in sets of three:

Nuno Magalh„es 11-08-2010 12:56 PM

XDMCP mess

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 03:14, Arnt Karlsen <arnt@c2i.net> wrote:
> ..I lost you here, do you have your XDMCP connection working now???

No, manpages and comments in .conf files.

--
Mars 2 Stay!
http://xkcd.com/801/

Arnt Karlsen 11-08-2010 06:28 PM

XDMCP mess

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 13:56:13 +0000, Nuno wrote in message
<AANLkTimfZPXiq92sncfNYRJNeL_JsBxQ65gw+DL7yd=+@mai l.gmail.com>:

> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 03:14, Arnt Karlsen <arnt@c2i.net> wrote:
> > ..I lost you here, do you have your XDMCP connection working now???
>
> No, manpages and comments in .conf files.

..ok, then it's back to my hint to find out if X is listening
at all, to anything but localhost.

Scenarios always come in sets of three:

Nuno Magalh„es 11-09-2010 11:33 PM

XDMCP mess

On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 19:28, Arnt Karlsen <arnt@c2i.net> wrote:
> ..ok, then it's back to my hint to find out if X is listening
> at all, to anything but localhost.

I must've commented out the remote xdm-config once testing with Xming
was done and forgot about it. After uncommenting it again the local
gdm chooser found the remote machine and i was greeted by the remote
XDM.

Now it's pulseaudio, seems simple but i'm missing something (it's listening!).

Thanks for the heads up.

--
Mars 2 Stay!
http://xkcd.com/801/

Arnt Karlsen 11-11-2010 12:38 AM

XDMCP mess

On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 00:33:32 +0000, Nuno wrote in message
<AANLkTikPU65ryVLXSA3NtHaYRyDFnnw_SA5J-6Q4p_1B@mail.gmail.com>:

> On Mon, Nov 8, 2010 at 19:28, Arnt Karlsen <arnt@c2i.net> wrote:
> > ..ok, then it's back to my hint to find out if X is listening
> > at all, to anything but localhost.
>
> I must've commented out the remote xdm-config once testing with Xming
> was done and forgot about it. After uncommenting it again the local
> gdm chooser found the remote machine and i was greeted by the remote
> XDM.
>
> Now it's pulseaudio, seems simple but i'm missing something (it's
> listening!).

..for XDMCP connections?????
If not, your pulseaudio challenge probably warrants its
own thread and I'm blank there. ;o)

Nuno Magalh„es 11-11-2010 12:39 PM

XDMCP mess

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 01:38, Arnt Karlsen <arnt@c2i.net> wrote:
>> Now it's pulseaudio, seems simple but i'm missing something (it's
>> listening!).
>
> ..for XDMCP connections?????

Well yeah, XDMCP doesn't carry sound. My progress so far has been
losing sound altogether, but got it back on. Both boxes have
pulseaudio but the local one only sometimes sees the remote one. I'm
still fiddling with it + ALSA.

Stay tuned.

--
Mars 2 Stay!
http://xkcd.com/801/

Rob Owens 11-11-2010 12:51 PM

XDMCP mess

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 01:39:12PM +0000, Nuno Magalh„es wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 01:38, Arnt Karlsen <arnt@c2i.net> wrote:
> >> Now it's pulseaudio, seems simple but i'm missing something (it's
> >> listening!).
> >
> > ..for XDMCP connections?????
>
> Well yeah, XDMCP doesn't carry sound. My progress so far has been
> losing sound altogether, but got it back on. Both boxes have
> pulseaudio but the local one only sometimes sees the remote one. I'm
> still fiddling with it + ALSA.

Maybe you should be using LTSP. It will pxe boot pretty much anything,
and then do a remote GUI session to your server -- sound included.

-Rob