Old 11-07-2010, 12:09 PM
Frank

Default VLC unable to open MRL

Old 11-07-2010, 12:34 PM
Matthias Andersson

On 11/07/2010 03:11 PM, Mark Allums wrote:

> I don't know, but I had the exact same problem, except in reverse. VLC
> would play fine, but Totem either wouldn't play, or in one case, could
> not keep time synchronization.
>
> My guess is that it's still the lack of the right codec(s), although
> that might be weird. An MRL is a "(Multi)Media Resource Locator", and
> playlists use them.
>
> Are you running VLC from the command line, or from a GUI like GNOME?
> Give us the exact circumstances you are working under.

I'm working from Gnome on a 64-bit debian unstable on my laptop. I'm
accessing my desktop through the connect to server feature. I tried to
copy a .mp3 and .avi to my laptop and the result was that the .mp3
playback worked fine but the .avi playback was normal for the sound but
the video was only using a quarter of the vlc window.

//Matthias

Old 11-07-2010, 12:38 PM
Rob Owens

On Sun, Nov 07, 2010 at 02:36:25PM +0200, Matthias Andersson wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I have installed debian and activated the debian-multimedia.org
> repository. I've installed the gstreamer packages ugly, bad, very bad.
> I then installed vlc but now when I try to play a .m3p or .avi file in
> vlc is always gives the error message "VLC is unable to open MRL" but
> the same file works perfectly in Totem media player.

Does mplayer work?

I think there's something in debian-multimedia.org that breaks VLC
playback of certain file types. I don't remember the details, but I
think you can find an explanation on www.debian-multimedia.org.

-Rob

Old 11-07-2010, 12:54 PM
Matthias Andersson

On 11/07/2010 03:38 PM, Rob Owens wrote:

> Does mplayer work?
>
> I think there's something in debian-multimedia.org that breaks VLC
> playback of certain file types. I don't remember the details, but I
> think you can find an explanation on www.debian-multimedia.org.
>
> -Rob

mplayer works the same way vlc does. Totem is the only player working as
it should.

//Matthias

Old 11-07-2010, 06:19 PM
Ron Johnson

I have installed debian and activated the debian-multimedia.org
repository. I've installed the gstreamer packages ugly, bad, very bad.
I then installed vlc but now when I try to play a .m3p or .avi file in
vlc is always gives the error message "VLC is unable to open MRL" but
the same file works perfectly in Totem media player.

What am I missing?

vlc has always been "old reliable" for me when playing video, but
honestly I've never tried playing audio files on it. (Aqualung and
mpc are my audio players of choice.)

Run it from a terminal window so that you can see any errors.

$ apt-cache policy vlc
vlc:
Installed: 1.1.3-1
Candidate: 1.1.3-1
Version table:
1.1.4-1 0
1 http://ftp.debian.org/debian/
../project/experimental/main amd64 Packages

*** 1.1.3-1 0
500 http://mirrors.kernel.org/debian/ sid/main amd64 Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

--