Old 11-07-2010, 11:13 AM
Paul Cartwright

Default postfix & dovecot- IMAP/Maildir format not working

I am trying to change my mail output on Debian Lenny to IMAP, using my
Maildir folder.. I've changed /etc/postfix/main.cf
and /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf

and here is what my postconf -d output shows:

home_mailbox =
mail_name = Postfix
mail_owner = postfix
mail_release_date = 20080902
mail_spool_directory = /var/mail
mail_version = 2.5.5

dovecot -n shows this:
mail_location: maildir:~/Maildir

/etc/postfix/main.cf has this:

home_mailbox = Maildir/

/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf has this:
dovecot.conf:mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir

I'm still getting mail in /var/mail
what am I missing?

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Old 11-07-2010, 12:32 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 07:13:05 -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> I am trying to change my mail output on Debian Lenny to IMAP, using my
> Maildir folder.. I've changed /etc/postfix/main.cf and
> /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
>
> and here is what my postconf -d output shows:
>
> home_mailbox =
> mail_name = Postfix
> mail_owner = postfix
> mail_release_date = 20080902
> mail_spool_directory = /var/mail
> mail_version = 2.5.5

"postconf -d" will print out your Postfix default settings, not the
actual. Better issue "postconf | grep "home_mailbox".

> dovecot -n shows this:
> mail_location: maildir:~/Maildir

Right.

> /etc/postfix/main.cf has this:
>
> home_mailbox = Maildir/

Right. This should override the previous default empty setting. Remember
to reload (or restart) Postfix for the change to be applied (/etc/init.d/
postfix reload)

> /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf has this:
> dovecot.conf:mail_location = maildir:~/Maildir
>
> I'm still getting mail in /var/mail
> what am I missing?

"home_mailbox" has preference over "mail_spool_directory" but is has to
be defined. Try by reloading postfix.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-07-2010, 07:47 PM
Paul Cartwright

On 11/07/2010 08:32 AM, Camaleón wrote:
> "home_mailbox" has preference over "mail_spool_directory" but is has to
> be defined. Try by reloading postfix.
not sure if you are familiar with fetchyahoo, but I use it to get my
yahoo email, bring it in to my IMAP folder. I'm not sure what magic it
does, but it is the ONLY local app. that utilizes my IMAP folder.
which is amazing, after I just looked at my fetchyahoorc file:
# set use-imap to 1 to enable output to an IMAP mailbox
use-imap = 0
imap-host = imap.example.com
imap-port = 143
imap-username = imap-user-name
imap-password = imap-password
imap-mailbox = INBOX

Old 11-07-2010, 08:07 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 15:47:55 -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> On 11/07/2010 08:32 AM, Camaleón wrote:
>> "home_mailbox" has preference over "mail_spool_directory" but is has to
>> be defined. Try by reloading postfix.

> not sure if you are familiar with fetchyahoo, but I use it to get my
> yahoo email, bring it in to my IMAP folder. I'm not sure what magic it
> does, but it is the ONLY local app. that utilizes my IMAP folder. which
> is amazing, after I just looked at my fetchyahoorc file: # set use-imap
> to 1 to enable output to an IMAP mailbox use-imap = 0
> imap-host = imap.example.com
> imap-port = 143
> imap-username = imap-user-name
> imap-password = imap-password
> imap-mailbox = INBOX

Maybe you can put your ".fetchmailrc" settings (avoid displaying
sensitive data like passwords), or maybe you can explain how are you
fetching the e-mail from the rest of your accounts :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-07-2010, 08:12 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 21:07:02 +0000, Camaleón wrote:

> On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 15:47:55 -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:

(from the other thread...)

> I have dovecot & postfix set
> to enable Maildir & IMAP, but it doesn't seem to be working.. dovecot
> log shows:
> 2010-11-07 12:15:45 IMAP(pbc): Info: Disconnected in IDLE bytes=181/6886
> 2010-11-07 12:16:08 dovecot: Info: Dovecot v1.2.15 starting up (core
> dumps disabled)
> 2010-11-07 12:16:25 imap-login: Info: Login: user=<pbc>, method=PLAIN,
> rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.0.1, secured 2010-11-07 12:16:35 imap-login:
> Info: Login: user=<pbc>, method=PLAIN, rip=127.0.0.1, lip=127.0.0.1,
> secured
>
> so dovecot is working, but postfix keeps sending emails to
> /var/mail/USER .
>
> # grep Maildir /etc/postfix/main.cf
> home_mailbox = Maildir/

Did you reload Postfix service?

Also, attach the output of "postconf | grep "home_mailbox".

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-07-2010, 11:03 PM
Paul Cartwright

On 11/07/2010 04:07 PM, Camaleón wrote:
> Maybe you can put your ".fetchmailrc" settings (avoid displaying
> sensitive data like passwords), or maybe you can explain how are you
> fetching the e-mail from the rest of your accounts :-?
other than the fetchyahoo that does send my yahoo email to my local IMAP
user account, all of the domain emails are pulled from my domain host
using fetchmail. Up until recently that was done to my /var/mail/USER
account. Each line of the fetchmailrc file had user=$MY_LOCAL_USER account.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:49 AM
Camaleón

On Sun, 07 Nov 2010 19:03:40 -0500, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> On 11/07/2010 04:07 PM, Camaleón wrote:
>> Maybe you can put your ".fetchmailrc" settings (avoid displaying
>> sensitive data like passwords), or maybe you can explain how are you
>> fetching the e-mail from the rest of your accounts :-?

> other than the fetchyahoo that does send my yahoo email to my local IMAP
> user account, all of the domain emails are pulled from my domain host
> using fetchmail. Up until recently that was done to my /var/mail/USER
> account. Each line of the fetchmailrc file had user=$MY_LOCAL_USER
> account.

Maybe because "fetchyahoo" is by-passing Postfix (Procmail) and directly
storing e-mails under the specified location.

Another question... why not using Fetchmail for Yahoo account? :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-08-2010, 07:20 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Lu, 08 nov 10, 07:49:13, Camaleón wrote:

> Another question... why not using Fetchmail for Yahoo account? :-?

Because Yahoo has paid only POP3 access. You can however let another
free provider fetch your yahoo mail, like Gmail or GMX, both offer quite
good IMAP/POP access.

Regards,
Andrei

Old 11-08-2010, 07:30 AM
Camaleón

On Mon, 08 Nov 2010 10:20:58 +0200, Andrei Popescu wrote:

> On Lu, 08 nov 10, 07:49:13, Camaleón wrote:
>>
>> Another question... why not using Fetchmail for Yahoo account? :-?
>
> Because Yahoo has paid only POP3 access. You can however let another
> free provider fetch your yahoo mail, like Gmail or GMX, both offer quite
> good IMAP/POP access.

Nor IMAP? How bad ;-(

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-08-2010, 10:00 AM
Paul Cartwright

On 11/08/2010 02:49 AM, Camaleón wrote:> <pre wrap="">

> Maybe because "fetchyahoo" is by-passing Postfix (Procmail)
and directly

> storing e-mails under the specified location.

could very well be, I didn't read any of the fetchyahoo code,
just the config file.

> Another question... why not using Fetchmail for Yahoo
account? :-?

that IS the reason I use fetchyahoo, because without it, you
can't get yahoo via POP3 without a paid account, you only get the
web access.