Old 11-05-2010, 01:31 PM
Paul Cartwright

Default lenny & thunderbird filters-SOLVED!

On 11/05/2010 04:15 AM, Camaleón wrote:
> Also, you can try (just in case) to "rebuild index" and/or "compacting"
> the offending folder. Thunderbird (Icedove) sometimes can go nuts with
> its internal bd and hides e-mails or does weird things :-)
ok, I JUST had a new message in a folder. Hit "N" to go to it. The
folder still showed (1) new message. Right-clicked on the folder & hit
COMPACT FOLDER. BAM! new message indicator disappeared.

I'll bet I can recreate that.. every...time..

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Old 11-05-2010, 02:43 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 10:31:28 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> On 11/05/2010 04:15 AM, Camaleón wrote:
>> Also, you can try (just in case) to "rebuild index" and/or "compacting"
>> the offending folder. Thunderbird (Icedove) sometimes can go nuts with
>> its internal bd and hides e-mails or does weird things :-)

> ok, I JUST had a new message in a folder. Hit "N" to go to it. The
> folder still showed (1) new message. Right-clicked on the folder & hit
> COMPACT FOLDER. BAM! new message indicator disappeared.

Oh... good :-)

> I'll bet I can recreate that.. every...time..

You can set "auto-compact" your folders by defining so under Preferences/
advanced/network and disk space.

"Compacting" is another of the annoyances of Thunderbird but is a "must-
do" task (if you avoid doing so your mailbox files will grow, and grow
and grow... because deleted e-mails are not really deteleted until you -
maually or automatically- hit the "compact" button).

And that remembers me the third of the Thunderbird's annoyances: storage
files for each folder cannot go beyong 4 GiB).

More interesting reading:

Compacting folders
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_:_Tips_:_Compacting_Folders

Limits - Thunderbird
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Limits_(Thunderbird)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-05-2010, 02:52 PM
Paul Cartwright

On 11/05/2010 11:43 AM, Camaleón wrote:
> You can set "auto-compact" your folders by defining so under Preferences/
> advanced/network and disk space.
thank you!!
> "Compacting" is another of the annoyances of Thunderbird but is a "must-
> do" task (if you avoid doing so your mailbox files will grow, and grow
> and grow... because deleted e-mails are not really deteleted until you -
> maually or automatically- hit the "compact" button).
>
> And that remembers me the third of the Thunderbird's annoyances: storage
> files for each folder cannot go beyong 4 GiB).
oh, ow, I did not know that. so, is archiving the answer? I've been
afraid to archive, because I didn't know where the old messages go
NOTE, now I do know where they go:
http://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/Archived+messages

the 4GiB limit also goes for archived though, so.. what do you do?

> More interesting reading:
>
> Compacting folders
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Thunderbird_:_Tips_:_Compacting_Folders
>
> Limits - Thunderbird
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Limits_(Thunderbird)
thanks, good info!

Old 11-05-2010, 03:18 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 11:52:50 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> On 11/05/2010 11:43 AM, Camaleón wrote:

>> And that remembers me the third of the Thunderbird's annoyances:
>> storage files for each folder cannot go beyong 4 GiB).

> oh, ow, I did not know that. so, is archiving the answer?

I hate archiving (I hold "fresh" e-mails dated on 1999) :-P

What I do is using as much as possible a tree structure (remember the 4
GiB limit is set for "each folder", so you can have many subfolders to
distribute your e-mail messages and so avoing that limit).

> I've been afraid to archive, because I didn't know where the old
> messages go
> NOTE, now I do know where they go:
> http://support.mozillamessaging.com/en-US/kb/Archived+messages

Good catch! I didn' know it neither :-)

> the 4GiB limit also goes for archived though, so.. what do you do?

I'm not sure whether IMAP accounts/storage are also affected for this
limitation (I guess yes) but in either case, use a logical mail
structure. I like using "topics" and then "years" (or viceversa, years
then topics); the more folders, the better, i.e.:

inxox

|- 2010

|-lists
| |- debian-es
| |- debian-es
| |- debian-bugzilla

|-personal
|- banking
|- friends
|- shopping
|- ebay
|- ...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-05-2010, 07:04 PM
Paul Cartwright

On 11/05/2010 12:18 PM, Camaleón wrote:
>> oh, ow, I did not know that. so, is archiving the answer?
> I hate archiving (I hold "fresh" e-mails dated on 1999) :-P
I also note that archiving is ONLY for IMAP folders, so it is useless to
me, because I have everything filtered to LOCAL folders.. Tyou can't
archive local folders..
> What I do is using as much as possible a tree structure (remember the 4
> GiB limit is set for "each folder", so you can have many subfolders to
> distribute your e-mail messages and so avoing that limit).

Yes I get the idea..

> > the 4GiB limit also goes for archived though, so.. what do you do?
> I'm not sure whether IMAP accounts/storage are also affected for this
> limitation (I guess yes) but in either case, use a logical mail
> structure. I like using "topics" and then "years" (or viceversa, years
> then topics); the more folders, the better, i.e.:
>
> inxox
> |
> |- 2010
I was thinking the other way.. unless you can easily duplicat all the
folders under a year, I was thinking more like:
Debian-users
|- 2010
|-2011

how do you know if you are reaching the 4GiB limit?

Old 11-05-2010, 07:17 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 16:04:08 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> On 11/05/2010 12:18 PM, Camaleón wrote:

(about the 4 GiB space limit per folder in Thunderbird...)

> how do you know if you are reaching the 4GiB limit?

I would expect a warning message written in old arcane gibberish stating
that your current folder is reaching its limits >:-)

Just kidding... I dunno, but an alert message makes sense.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón