Old 11-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Celejar

Default A question for the list:

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 03:05:43 -0600
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss@iguanasuicide.net> wrote:

> In <20101108050349.1bf5c129@a45.fmb.no>, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> >On Sun, 7 Nov 2010 18:25:53 -0600, Boyd wrote in message
> ><201011071826.00774.bss@iguanasuicide.net>:
> >> (Really, some required parts of Debian are simply missing from
> >> experimental, so it isn't possible to install *just* experimental.)
> >
> >..well, we do have the 2.6.36 kernel in place in "Experimental",
> >and X and the radeon driver... what else do we need to fly? ;o)
>
> dpkg. libc. Assuming you want to use apt: apt and perl. binutils.
> fileutils. Assuming you want network: ifupdown.

ifupdown is not essential for networking - are you thinking of net-tools?

Celejar

Old 11-08-2010, 08:41 PM
Arnt Karlsen

On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 03:05:43 -0600, Boyd wrote in message
<201011080305.48486.bss@iguanasuicide.net>:

> In <20101108050349.1bf5c129@a45.fmb.no>, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
> >On Sun, 7 Nov 2010 18:25:53 -0600, Boyd wrote in message
> ><201011071826.00774.bss@iguanasuicide.net>:
> >> (Really, some required parts of Debian are simply missing from
> >> experimental, so it isn't possible to install *just* experimental.)
> >
> >..well, we do have the 2.6.36 kernel in place in "Experimental",
> >and X and the radeon driver... what else do we need to fly? ;o)
>
> dpkg. libc. Assuming you want to use apt: apt and perl. binutils.
> fileutils. Assuming you want network: ifupdown.

..I troll you ifconfig, dd and netcat. ;o)

> (aptitude search '~E') should give you a list of "essential"

..define "essential", in our Experimental context. ;o)

> packages. A rare few can be uninstalled in favor of something that
> satisfies a virtual package.

..aye. Debian is all about stability, not about fancy kinky
experimental troll cuisine. ;o)

Scenarios always come in sets of three:

Old 11-09-2010, 01:34 AM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

In <20101108224106.2c5c2d9e@a45.fmb.no>, Arnt Karlsen wrote:
>On Mon, 8 Nov 2010 03:05:43 -0600, Boyd wrote in message
><201011080305.48486.bss@iguanasuicide.net>:
>> (aptitude search '~E') should give you a list of "essential"
>
>..define "essential", in our Experimental context. ;o)

From <http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-controlfields.html>:
5.6.9 Essential
This is a boolean field which may occur only in the control file of a binary
package or in a per-package fields paragraph of a main source control data
file.
If set to yes then the package management system will refuse to remove the
package (upgrading and replacing it is still possible). The other possible
value is no, which is the same as not having the field at all.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))