Old 11-04-2010, 07:03 PM
Paul Cartwright

Default lenny & thunderbird filters

I'm running Lenny, updated, and Thunderbird 3.1.6 ( from my local user).
I setup a bunch of my user IMAP setups, from my domain host, and pull in
mail from fetchmailrc.
I setup lots & lots of filters, almost every email gets filtered
somewhere.. SOMETIMES, you see a folder, click "N" for next message, the
folder still has the (1) for new message, but when you hit N, it
proceeds to the next folder. Eventually you hit N and come back to THE
SAME MESSAGE. I even put a "stop filter execution" at the end of the
filters, but it still does it.
anyone seen this, or have any ideas?

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Old 11-04-2010, 10:37 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 16:03:54 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:

(...)

> I setup lots & lots of filters, almost every email gets filtered
> somewhere.. SOMETIMES, you see a folder, click "N" for next message, the
> folder still has the (1) for new message, but when you hit N, it
> proceeds to the next folder. Eventually you hit N and come back to THE
> SAME MESSAGE. I even put a "stop filter execution" at the end of the
> filters, but it still does it.
> anyone seen this, or have any ideas?

Why do you think the problem of the shortcut ("N") for going to the next
unread messsage has any connection with the filters? :-?

Does it happen while using a threaded view/plain view for messages or
both? What type of folders view (smart-unified/all folders...) are you
using?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-04-2010, 11:55 PM
Paul Cartwright

On 11/04/2010 07:37 PM, Camaleón wrote:
> Why do you think the problem of the shortcut ("N") for going to the next
> unread messsage has any connection with the filters? :-?
hm.. not sure, I just ASSuMEd..
ok, so I have messages in folders, when I get to the last unread
message, the folder STILL shows (1) and moves on to another unread
message in the next folder.
> Does it happen while using a threaded view/plain view for messages or
> both? What type of folders view (smart-unified/all folders...) are you
> using?

ack, no idea what you mean. I use the tipical 3-panel view, folders to
the left, message headers up top, and body of email below. I use
threaded view, but I'm not sure I changed it in ALL the folders, only
the ones I noticed had threads, and it wasn't threading. all folders, no
"special effects"..

Old 11-05-2010, 02:52 AM
Johan Grönqvist

2010-11-04 21:03, Paul Cartwright skrev:

I'm running Lenny, updated, and Thunderbird 3.1.6 ( from my local user).
SOMETIMES, you see a folder, click "N" for next message, the
folder still has the (1) for new message, but when you hit N, it
proceeds to the next folder. Eventually you hit N and come back to THE
SAME MESSAGE.
anyone seen this, or have any ideas?

Yes, I have seen this, without filters, but for a newsgroup account
(news.gmane.org), and it seems to happen when I fetch new messages
several times before reading through the new messages, and even then I
only see it sometimes.

I have no solution to offer, and I do not remember the exact version
combinations I have seen this in.

/ Johan

Archive: iavv24$2f8$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/iavv24$2f8$1@dough.gmane.org

Old 11-05-2010, 07:15 AM
Camaleón

On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 20:55:30 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> On 11/04/2010 07:37 PM, Camaleón wrote:

>> Why do you think the problem of the shortcut ("N") for going to the
>> next unread messsage has any connection with the filters? :-?
> hm.. not sure, I just ASSuMEd..

X-)

Anyway, when you suspect on filters, just enable the filters log to get a
clue of where is e-mail being dropped.

> ok, so I have messages in folders, when I get to the last unread
> message, the folder STILL shows (1) and moves on to another unread
> message in the next folder.

Mmm... so you have a folder with no unread messages but still stating
there is (1) unread messages (marked in bold) in the folder's pane. Right?

Could it be that you are applying some kind of rules for displaying only
messages that matches a common pattern (like showing just today's ones,
coming from a concrete sender or so)?

Also, you can try (just in case) to "rebuild index" and/or "compacting"
the offending folder. Thunderbird (Icedove) sometimes can go nuts with
its internal bd and hides e-mails or does weird things :-)

(make a full backup of you Thunderbird profile before performing a
rebuild of index)

>> Does it happen while using a threaded view/plain view for messages or
>> both? What type of folders view (smart-unified/all folders...) are you
>> using?
>>
> ack, no idea what you mean. I use the tipical 3-panel view, folders to
> the left, message headers up top, and body of email below. I use
> threaded view, but I'm not sure I changed it in ALL the folders, only
> the ones I noticed had threads, and it wasn't threading. all folders, no
> "special effects"..

Thunderbird allows to select what folders you want to see in the folder's
pane (most used, all folders, smart folders...). In addition, it allows
you to select what kind of message view you want for each folder (show
unread e-mails, received today e-mails, tagged e-mails...). Just be sure
you are not applying any of these options and all folders/e-mails are
being displayed.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-05-2010, 09:49 AM
Paul Cartwright

On 11/05/2010 04:15 AM, Camaleón wrote:
> Mmm... so you have a folder with no unread messages but still stating
> there is (1) unread messages (marked in bold) in the folder's pane. Right?
correct.
> Could it be that you are applying some kind of rules for displaying only
> messages that matches a common pattern (like showing just today's ones,
> coming from a concrete sender or so)?
no rules that I applied on purpose.. and it isn't all folders, it
"seems" random.. and not every time.

> Also, you can try (just in case) to "rebuild index" and/or "compacting"
> the offending folder. Thunderbird (Icedove) sometimes can go nuts with
> its internal bd and hides e-mails or does weird things :-)
I see the compact folders menu item, but not rebuild index... where do
you find that one.
ah, I think I found it under folder properties.. repair Folder?

> (make a full backup of you Thunderbird profile before performing a
> rebuild of index)

nah, I make daily backups

>> > ack, no idea what you mean. I use the tipical 3-panel view, folders to
>> > the left, message headers up top, and body of email below. I use
>> > threaded view, but I'm not sure I changed it in ALL the folders, only
>> > the ones I noticed had threads, and it wasn't threading. all folders, no
>> > "special effects"..
> Thunderbird allows to select what folders you want to see in the folder's
> pane (most used, all folders, smart folders...). In addition, it allows
> you to select what kind of message view you want for each folder (show
> unread e-mails, received today e-mails, tagged e-mails...). Just be sure
> you are not applying any of these options and all folders/e-mails are
> being displayed.
yeah, I imagine that could cause LOTS of problems, people forgetting
what view they have set & can't find messages..

Old 11-05-2010, 09:53 AM
Paul Cartwright

On 11/04/2010 11:52 PM, Johan Grönqvist wrote:
> Yes, I have seen this, without filters, but for a newsgroup account
> (news.gmane.org), and it seems to happen when I fetch new messages
> several times before reading through the new messages, and even then I
> only see it sometimes.
I haven't done newsgroups in over a year.. though thunderbird does have
a news server setup in it, it isn't a valid login any longer.. as far as
new messages, I do go through & read ALL new messages, BUT, I do see
where new messages come into folders that I have already finished
reading, that could very well be THE PROBLEM..

> I have no solution to offer, and I do not remember the exact version
> combinations I have seen this in.
thanks!

Old 11-05-2010, 10:25 AM
Camaleón

On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 06:49:43 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> On 11/05/2010 04:15 AM, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> Also, you can try (just in case) to "rebuild index" and/or "compacting"
>> the offending folder. Thunderbird (Icedove) sometimes can go nuts with
>> its internal bd and hides e-mails or does weird things :-)

> I see the compact folders menu item, but not rebuild index... where do
> you find that one.
> ah, I think I found it under folder properties.. repair Folder?

Mmm, it should be called "rebuild index", even in "plain English" :-P

http://raisedbyturtles.org/wp-content/uploads/tb-rebuild-index.png

Not sure if that will help with your "phantom" unread messages, though...
wait, I've got some docs for you:

Disappearing mail
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Disappearing_mail

Maybe you can find something there that make your bells ring :-?

P.S. Just out of curiosity... does it happen only with imap mailboxes or
also with local stored messages?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-05-2010, 10:55 AM
Paul Cartwright

On 11/05/2010 07:25 AM, Camaleón wrote:

ah, I think I found it under folder properties.. repair Folder?

Mmm, it should be called "rebuild index", even in "plain English" :-P

http://raisedbyturtles.org/wp-content/uploads/tb-rebuild-index.png

Not sure if that will help with your "phantom" unread messages, though...
wait, I've got some docs for you:

ok, REBUILD, not REPAIR.. yes, I found it- right-click on a folder,
select properties.

Disappearing mail
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Disappearing_mail

nice article..

will check out each & every problem.. I did NOT have the View
Messages item:

If you don't have a "View
-> Messages" menu command right click on the toolbar, select
customize, drag and drop the "Mail Views" icon to the toolbar
and press the OK button. Adding the View combo box to the
toolbar adds that menu command.

but it was set to ALL.

Maybe you can find something there that make your bells ring :-?

P.S. Just out of curiosity... does it happen only with imap mailboxes or
also with local stored messages?

not I am talking ALL local folders. I have fetchmail bring in ALL my
email to /var/mail/USER, and thunderbird is set to pull that mail
using UNIX movemail. I DO have IMAP folders, I am running
Dovecot-imapd. I think I have a cron job to bring in yahoo email
using fetchyahoo that brings it in to an IMAP folder, but I RARELY
get yahoo email..

*

Old 11-05-2010, 11:56 AM
Camaleón

On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 07:55:46 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> On 11/05/2010 07:25 AM, Camaleón wrote:

(...)

>> Maybe you can find something there that make your bells ring :-?
>>
>> P.S. Just out of curiosity... does it happen only with imap mailboxes
>> or also with local stored messages?

> not I am talking ALL local folders. I have fetchmail bring in ALL my
> email to /var/mail/USER, and thunderbird is set to pull that mail using
> UNIX movemail. I DO have IMAP folders, I am running Dovecot-imapd. I
> think I have a cron job to bring in yahoo email using fetchyahoo that
> brings it in to an IMAP folder, but I RARELY get yahoo email..

An IMAP server (Dovecot) can be run in the local machine but it is still
and IMAP account and so having its glitches (it can experience a
different behaviour than local ones). Just check if the same happens for
local messages.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón