Old 11-04-2010, 06:56 PM
Joost Kraaijeveld

Default networkmanager blocking evolution

On Thu, 2010-11-04 at 22:57 +0200, Johan Scheepers wrote:
> Good day,
>
> Standalone laptop using debian squeeze freeze on a dsl modem connected
> by cable.
>
> All my internet applications work but evolution send/receive greyed out.
>
> Today I configured evolution but no dice.
> I use icedove but wanted to try evo.
> On the evo list I found that evo needs some setting up in networkmanager.
> Never done it before.

Do you also have a wireless card? If so, does evolution work if you are
connected through the wireless with internet? If so, does the
networkmanager manage both cards? Or just the wireless?

--
Groeten,

Joost Kraaijeveld
Askesis B.V.
Molukkenstraat 14
6524NB Nijmegen
tel: 024-3888063 / 06-51855277
fax: 024-3608416
web: www.askesis.nl

Old 11-04-2010, 07:57 PM
Johan Scheepers

Good day,

Standalone laptop using debian squeeze freeze on a dsl modem connected
by cable.

All my internet applications work but evolution send/receive greyed out.

Today I configured evolution but no dice.
I use icedove but wanted to try evo.
On the evo list I found that evo needs some setting up in networkmanager.
Never done it before.

Some help would be appreciated

Thanks
Johan

Archive: 4CD31E4F.70203@telkomsa.net">http://lists.debian.org/4CD31E4F.70203@telkomsa.net

Old 11-04-2010, 09:12 PM
Bob Proulx

Johan Scheepers wrote:
> Standalone laptop using debian squeeze freeze on a dsl modem
> connected by cable.
>
> All my internet applications work but evolution send/receive greyed out.

This is another one of those annoying bugs related to network-manager.
Evolution online/offline with n-m only works if network-manager
controls *all* network devices. If there is an active network device
not controlled by n-m then it won't be known and will be marked as
offline to Evolution.

If you don't need network-manager, and if you are suffering from the
problem of n-m not managing your network devices then it would seem
that you would not need it, then you can restore Evolution's online
capability by removing the network-manager package. Then Evolution
won't think it is permanently offline.

A number of bugs have been filed on this topic and most of them merged
into this one:

Bob

Old 11-04-2010, 09:24 PM
Johan Scheepers

Standalone laptop using debian squeeze freeze on a dsl modem connected
by cable.

All my internet applications work but evolution send/receive greyed out.

Today I configured evolution but no dice.
I use icedove but wanted to try evo.
On the evo list I found that evo needs some setting up in networkmanager.
Never done it before.

Do you also have a wireless card? If so, does evolution work if you are
connected through the wireless with internet? If so, does the
networkmanager manage both cards? Or just the wireless?

If I start networkmanger the option for wireless pops up

What does that mean

Archive: 4CD33289.8000406@telkomsa.net">http://lists.debian.org/4CD33289.8000406@telkomsa.net

Old 11-05-2010, 07:09 AM
Tixy

On Thu, 2010-11-04 at 22:57 +0200, Johan Scheepers wrote:
> Good day,
>
> Standalone laptop using debian squeeze freeze on a dsl modem connected
> by cable.
>
> All my internet applications work but evolution send/receive greyed out.

Quick answer, edit the file /etc/NetworkManager/nm-system-settings.conf
and change the line which says "managed=false" to "managed=true". You
will need to do this as root, then reboot afterwards.

See http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkManager

--
Tixy () The ASCII Ribbon Campaign (www.asciiribbon.org)
/ Against HTML e-mail and proprietary attachments

Old 11-05-2010, 01:59 PM
Johan Scheepers

[...]

You were correct.
Just uninstalled networkmanager and all is fine.

Thank you to all that responded

Thanks
Regards
Johan

Archive: 4CD41BBB.4000805@telkomsa.net">http://lists.debian.org/4CD41BBB.4000805@telkomsa.net

Old 11-11-2010, 02:47 PM
deloptes

Johan Scheepers wrote:

> Good day,
>
> Standalone laptop using debian squeeze freeze on a dsl modem connected
> by cable.
>
> All my internet applications work but evolution send/receive greyed out.

you need a kind of network manager installed. I strugled with network
manager and replaced it in sqeeze/sid with wicd.

unfortunately the package in sid is not very stable. I'm not sure about
squeeze.

regards