Old 11-04-2010, 04:29 PM
Sthu Deus

Default linux-image for i586

Thank You for Your time and answer, Camaleón:

> Will there be any gain? :-?

I believe - as it has other technologies than i486 CPUs.

> Anyway, I think you can always re-compile/re-build your own kernel
> (i686) and enable MMX extensions...

It reaches recompiling every time the package is updated. That is not
what I want.

But, actually, my question was just - did I not miss it somehow.

Old 11-04-2010, 04:31 PM
Sthu Deus

Thank You for Your time and answer, Brad:

>Probably because, like the AMD (32 bit) builds, there was insufficient
>benefit to warrant all the extra work (to say nothing of storage space)
>to do it.

Then. may You know why they have chosen i486 instead of i386?

Old 11-04-2010, 05:00 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 00:29:24 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

> Thank You for Your time and answer, Camaleón:
>
>> Will there be any gain? :-?
>
> I believe - as it has other technologies than i486 CPUs.

I guess i586 shares most of the i686 specs and that's the reason for the
i686 kernel: all needed for a PV arch. is bundled there.

>> Anyway, I think you can always re-compile/re-build your own kernel
>> (i686) and enable MMX extensions...
>
> It reaches recompiling every time the package is updated. That is not
> what I want.
>
> But, actually, my question was just - did I not miss it somehow.

No, I cannot see any i586 kernel (i686 is the right one for pentium).

And we need to thank Debian DD because at least they provide i486 flavour
(and that's very uncommon in other distros) >:-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-04-2010, 05:04 PM
Johannes Wiedersich

Old 11-04-2010, 06:12 PM
"Boyd Stephen Smith Jr."

In <4cd2eddc.52790e0a.3014.0fd4@mx.google.com>, Sthu Deus wrote:
>Thank You for Your time and answer, Brad:
>>Probably because, like the AMD (32 bit) builds, there was insufficient
>>benefit to warrant all the extra work (to say nothing of storage space)
>>to do it.
>
>Then. may You know why they have chosen i486 instead of i386?

glibc dropped support for i386 a few years back. There's some machine
instructions that they are unable to implement certain locking primitives
without, and they are no longer willing to do without that high-speed locking.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss@iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))

Old 11-04-2010, 11:52 PM
Sthu Deus

Thank You for Your time and answer, Camaleón:

> No, I cannot see any i586 kernel (i686 is the right one for pentium).

AFAIK the kernel will not work on pentium machine - as it will announce
at boot time - no appropriate CPU.

> And we need to thank Debian DD because at least they provide i486
> flavour (and that's very uncommon in other distros) >:-)

And that's why we love/use Debian!

Old 11-05-2010, 03:17 AM
Stefan Monnier

> Thank You for Your time and answer, Camaleón:
>> Will there be any gain? :-?
> I believe - as it has other technologies than i486 CPUs.

I think there's a lack of evidence that it will make
a significant difference.

Stefan

Old 11-05-2010, 06:14 AM
Camaleón

On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 07:52:44 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

> Thank You for Your time and answer, Camaleón:
>
>> No, I cannot see any i586 kernel (i686 is the right one for pentium).
>
> AFAIK the kernel will not work on pentium machine - as it will announce
> at boot time - no appropriate CPU.

How is that? Are you saying that you cannot boot a Pentium III using i686
kernel? It is designed explicitly for that architecture :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-05-2010, 04:54 PM
Arnt Karlsen

On Fri, 5 Nov 2010 07:14:18 +0000 (UTC), Camaleón wrote in message
<pan.2010.11.05.07.14.18@gmail.com>:

> On Fri, 05 Nov 2010 07:52:44 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:
>
> > Thank You for Your time and answer, Camaleón:
> >
> >> No, I cannot see any i586 kernel (i686 is the right one for
> >> pentium).
> >
> > AFAIK the kernel will not work on pentium machine - as it will
> > announce at boot time - no appropriate CPU.
>
> How is that? Are you saying that you cannot boot a Pentium III using
> i686 kernel? It is designed explicitly for that architecture :-?

..i686 boots P3 ok IME, but AMD K6-2's needs i486 or
a custom k6-2 kernel, these can be built on P3's 'n up
etc if your k6-2 does something mission critical.

Scenarios always come in sets of three:

Old 11-05-2010, 05:10 PM
Sthu Deus

Camaleón:

> How is that? Are you saying that you cannot boot a Pentium III using
> i686 kernel? It is designed explicitly for that architecture :-?

No. I say that it is impossible to load the kernel packaged for i686 on
Pentium CPU - not Pentium III CPU. You are right, - it is packaged for
the Pentium II and above.