Old 11-04-2010, 01:08 PM
Sthu Deus

Default linux-image for i586

Good day.

Just wanted to ask, Why there is no linux-image package for i586,
especially w/ MMX support - but only for i486, then for i686 and up?

Thank You for Your time.

Old 11-04-2010, 02:14 PM
Camaleón

On Thu, 04 Nov 2010 21:08:50 +0700, Sthu Deus wrote:

> Just wanted to ask, Why there is no linux-image package for i586,
> especially w/ MMX support - but only for i486, then for i686 and up?

Will there be any gain? :-?

Anyway, I think you can always re-compile/re-build your own kernel (i686)
and enable MMX extensions...

sm01@stt008:~$ cat /boot/config* | grep -i mmx
# CONFIG_M586MMX is not set

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-04-2010, 02:19 PM
Brad Rogers

On Thu, 4 Nov 2010 21:08:50 +0700
Sthu Deus <sthu.deus@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Sthu,

> Just wanted to ask, Why there is no linux-image package for i586,
> especially w/ MMX support - but only for i486, then for i686 and up?

Probably because, like the AMD (32 bit) builds, there was insufficient
benefit to warrant all the extra work (to say nothing of storage space)
to do it.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is

Old 11-05-2010, 02:25 PM
steef

Sthu Deus schreef:

Good day.

Just wanted to ask, Why there is no linux-image package for i586,
especially w/ MMX support - but only for i486, then for i686 and up?

Thank You for Your time.

....please consider building your own kernel with the extensions you want.

kind regards,

steef