Old 11-03-2010, 05:37 PM
Paul Cartwright

Default dovecot imapd on network

I have dovecot imapd setup & working on my Lenny box, and I have a
local user account setup in thunderbird & have IMAP folders.
I am trying to setup my laptop to that IMAP account working, but it is
refusing connections...
do I need to do something to iptables? or am I missing something else..

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

Old 11-03-2010, 06:37 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 14:37:12 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> I have dovecot imapd setup & working on my Lenny box, and I have a
> local user account setup in thunderbird & have IMAP folders. I am trying
> to setup my laptop to that IMAP account working, but it is refusing
> connections...
> do I need to do something to iptables? or am I missing something else..

I fairly doubt your iptables policy is so "hard" that blocks lan
connections :-?

Can you telnet the local imap server from your laptop?

telnet 192.168.0.1 143

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-03-2010, 06:39 PM
Jochen Schulz

Paul Cartwright:

> I have dovecot imapd setup & working on my Lenny box, and I have a
> local user account setup in thunderbird & have IMAP folders.
> I am trying to setup my laptop to that IMAP account working, but it is
> refusing connections...
> do I need to do something to iptables? or am I missing something else..

Make sure Dovecot not only listens on localhost. If unsure, post your
config.

J.
--
I will not admit to failure even when I know I am terribly mistaken and
have offended others.

Old 11-03-2010, 06:56 PM
Stan Hoeppner

Camaleón put forth on 11/3/2010 2:37 PM:
> On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 14:37:12 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
>
>> I have dovecot imapd setup & working on my Lenny box, and I have a
>> local user account setup in thunderbird & have IMAP folders. I am trying
>> to setup my laptop to that IMAP account working, but it is refusing
>> connections...
>> do I need to do something to iptables? or am I missing something else..
>
> I fairly doubt your iptables policy is so "hard" that blocks lan
> connections :-?
>
> Can you telnet the local imap server from your laptop?
>
> telnet 192.168.0.1 143

The Debian Lenny Dovecot 1.0.15 dovecot.conf disables plain text login
by default as a security measure. Look for the following in
/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:

# Disable LOGIN command and all other plaintext authentications unless
# SSL/TLS is used (LOGINDISABLED capability). Note that if the remote IP
# matches the local IP (ie. you're connecting from the same computer), the
# connection is considered secure and plaintext authentication is allowed.
# disable_plaintext_auth = yes

This would explain why you can log in via Thunderbird on the Debian
Lenny machine which _is your workstation_ not a server, but not from
your laptop.

To use IMAPS requires a cert and key file. You must generate these,
unless you already have them.

You really need to read this config file, and specifically the comments,
from top to bottom. Familiarize yourself with your Dovecot
configuration. This is a server application designed to be managed by
system administrators, not end users. Debian purposefully makes the
conf defaults a bit screwy in order to force the OP to read the config
file and make the necessary modifications so the daemon works the way
the OP desires.

In essence Debian Dovecot is broken out of the box, WRT remote clients,
intentionally. You must manually enable plain text auth and/or SSL/TLS
auth. This is one of the good traits of Debian. It tries to keep you
from getting yourself into trouble due to lack of education/knowledge.
It forces you to learn to the software simply to get it working the
first time.

Hope this helps ya Paul and doesn't seem preachy.

--
Stan

Old 11-03-2010, 07:08 PM
Camaleón

On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 14:56:13 -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

> Camaleón put forth on 11/3/2010 2:37 PM:
>> On Wed, 03 Nov 2010 14:37:12 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
>>
>>> I have dovecot imapd setup & working on my Lenny box, and I have a
>>> local user account setup in thunderbird & have IMAP folders. I am
>>> trying to setup my laptop to that IMAP account working, but it is
>>> refusing connections...
>>> do I need to do something to iptables? or am I missing something
>>> else..
>>
>> I fairly doubt your iptables policy is so "hard" that blocks lan
>> connections :-?
>>
>> Can you telnet the local imap server from your laptop?
>>
>> telnet 192.168.0.1 143
>

> The Debian Lenny Dovecot 1.0.15 dovecot.conf disables plain text login
> by default as a security measure.

(...)

We are testing "connectivity" here not authentication mechanisms so I'd
expect Dovecot's welcome message even with plaint text login disable ;-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 11-03-2010, 08:16 PM
Paul Cartwright

On 11/03/2010 03:56 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> In essence Debian Dovecot is broken out of the box, WRT remote clients,
> intentionally. You must manually enable plain text auth and/or SSL/TLS
> auth. This is one of the good traits of Debian. It tries to keep you
> from getting yourself into trouble due to lack of education/knowledge.
> It forces you to learn to the software simply to get it working the
> first time.
yeah, I was already in the config, and reading a few HOW-TO's..
saw the entry for plain_text_auth=yes or whatever that variable was (
from memory), but I had already changed that.
I wasn't trying to log in via IMAPS, just IMAP, plain text.
pop didn't work either, so I'm guessing it it is something else. I WAS
able to get this to work on the M$ XP side using thunderbird, and I was
able to connect to my IMAP account in windows,so it is most definitely
an issue with my Ubuntu 10.10 laptop setup.. so I'm looking at the wrong
side.. it isn't Debian dovecot that has the issue, it is ubuntu laptop
that can't connect.. my bad..

> Hope this helps ya Paul and doesn't seem preachy.
no problem, if it doesn't help me, it might help someone else

Old 11-03-2010, 09:09 PM
Rob Owens

On Wed, Nov 03, 2010 at 02:56:13PM -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> The Debian Lenny Dovecot 1.0.15 dovecot.conf disables plain text login
> by default as a security measure. Look for the following in
> /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:
>
> # Disable LOGIN command and all other plaintext authentications unless
> # SSL/TLS is used (LOGINDISABLED capability). Note that if the remote IP
> # matches the local IP (ie. you're connecting from the same computer), the
> # connection is considered secure and plaintext authentication is allowed.
> # disable_plaintext_auth = yes
>
> This would explain why you can log in via Thunderbird on the Debian
> Lenny machine which _is your workstation_ not a server, but not from
> your laptop.
>
> To use IMAPS requires a cert and key file. You must generate these,
> unless you already have them.

On my installation, the cert was generated for me behind-the-scenes. At
least I don't remember doing it myself, and I would have had to do some
research in order to generate my own cert, and I don't remember doing
that...

-Rob

Old 11-03-2010, 09:11 PM
Rob Owens

On Wed, Nov 03, 2010 at 05:16:34PM -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On 11/03/2010 03:56 PM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> > In essence Debian Dovecot is broken out of the box, WRT remote clients,
> > intentionally. You must manually enable plain text auth and/or SSL/TLS
> > auth. This is one of the good traits of Debian. It tries to keep you
> > from getting yourself into trouble due to lack of education/knowledge.
> > It forces you to learn to the software simply to get it working the
> > first time.
> yeah, I was already in the config, and reading a few HOW-TO's..
> saw the entry for plain_text_auth=yes or whatever that variable was (
> from memory), but I had already changed that.
> I wasn't trying to log in via IMAPS, just IMAP, plain text.
> pop didn't work either, so I'm guessing it it is something else. I WAS
> able to get this to work on the M$ XP side using thunderbird, and I was
> able to connect to my IMAP account in windows,so it is most definitely
> an issue with my Ubuntu 10.10 laptop setup.. so I'm looking at the wrong
> side.. it isn't Debian dovecot that has the issue, it is ubuntu laptop
> that can't connect.. my bad..

My wife's Ubuntu 10.04 laptop had the same problem w/ Thunderbird and
dovecot. The workaround I used was to enable nscd on the Ubuntu laptop.
For some reason, that fixed it. Give it a shot.

-Rob

Old 11-03-2010, 09:16 PM
Stan Hoeppner

Rob Owens put forth on 11/3/2010 5:09 PM:
> On Wed, Nov 03, 2010 at 02:56:13PM -0500, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
>> The Debian Lenny Dovecot 1.0.15 dovecot.conf disables plain text login
>> by default as a security measure. Look for the following in
>> /etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf:
>>
>> # Disable LOGIN command and all other plaintext authentications unless
>> # SSL/TLS is used (LOGINDISABLED capability). Note that if the remote IP
>> # matches the local IP (ie. you're connecting from the same computer), the
>> # connection is considered secure and plaintext authentication is allowed.
>> # disable_plaintext_auth = yes
>>
>> This would explain why you can log in via Thunderbird on the Debian
>> Lenny machine which _is your workstation_ not a server, but not from
>> your laptop.
>>
>> To use IMAPS requires a cert and key file. You must generate these,
>> unless you already have them.
>>
> On my installation, the cert was generated for me behind-the-scenes. At
> least I don't remember doing it myself, and I would have had to do some
> research in order to generate my own cert, and I don't remember doing
> that...

My error. You are correct Rob, they are installed automatically. I was
thinking of the ssl_ca_file.

--
Stan