Old 11-03-2010, 12:35 AM
Rob Owens

Default help with rtorrent

I'm new to bittorrent. I'm using rtorrent to download
debian-506-i386-CD-1.iso. I set my firewall to forward TCP 6890-6999 to
my bittorrent machine, per my .rtorrent.rc file.

So far I've downloaded 485 MB and uploaded only 9 MB. Did I do
something wrong, or is that normal?

When I go to "Info" on this torrent, rtorrent says "Connection type:
leech". What do I need to do to be a good bittorrent citizen?

-Rob

Old 11-03-2010, 12:50 AM
Celejar

On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 21:35:24 -0400
Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:

> I'm new to bittorrent. I'm using rtorrent to download
> debian-506-i386-CD-1.iso. I set my firewall to forward TCP 6890-6999 to
> my bittorrent machine, per my .rtorrent.rc file.

The best way to check that the ports are actually accessible from the
'net is to do an external port scan. You can do it yourself if you
have access to an external machine; if not, try an online portscanner,
e.g.:

http://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2

> So far I've downloaded 485 MB and uploaded only 9 MB. Did I do
> something wrong, or is that normal?

Can't know without details of this particular swarm; could be either.
If almost everyone else already has the thing, there won't be anyone to
upload to. Check how many peers there are in the swarm, and what are
their completion percentages.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:24 AM
Alan Ianson

On Tue, 2010-11-02 at 21:35 -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> I'm new to bittorrent. I'm using rtorrent to download
> debian-506-i386-CD-1.iso. I set my firewall to forward TCP 6890-6999 to
> my bittorrent machine, per my .rtorrent.rc file.

That sounds right for a classic bittorrent client. I used to open about
the same ports years ago with the first bittorrent client from Bram
Cohen when that was all there was..

> So far I've downloaded 485 MB and uploaded only 9 MB. Did I do
> something wrong, or is that normal?

That does seem a bit low but if your downloading ISO's there may be a
lot of seeds (clients who have the whole download) compared to leeches
(clients who don't have the whole download yet). In that case uploading
will be a bit slow. That won't happen with all .torrents.

> When I go to "Info" on this torrent, rtorrent says "Connection type:
> leech". What do I need to do to be a good bittorrent citizen?

Just leave the torrent running (seeding) after it's done so others can
get the file also is a good bittorrent citizen.

Old 11-03-2010, 02:06 AM
Celejar

On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 19:24:20 -0700
Alan Ianson <agianson@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-11-02 at 21:35 -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> > I'm new to bittorrent. I'm using rtorrent to download
> > debian-506-i386-CD-1.iso. I set my firewall to forward TCP 6890-6999 to
> > my bittorrent machine, per my .rtorrent.rc file.
>
> That sounds right for a classic bittorrent client. I used to open about
> the same ports years ago with the first bittorrent client from Bram
> Cohen when that was all there was..

I don't think it actually makes a difference, as long as the firewall
and the program are configured for the same ports.

And IIUC, one port is really all you need for normal usage. I don't
remember what the point of multiple ports is, but I don't think that
basic, normal usage needs them.

Celejar

Old 11-03-2010, 02:32 AM
Joey Hess

Rob Owens wrote:
> When I go to "Info" on this torrent, rtorrent says "Connection type:
> leech". What do I need to do to be a good bittorrent citizen?

A confusing thing about bittorrent is that "leech" is used as both a
technical term, meaning a peer that is not currently seeding (even if it
has uploaded more than it has downloaded), and as a pejorative social
term (mostly by those who seem to feel that the bittorrent protocol's
built-in tit-for-tat is insufficient to make the protocol work). I'm
fairly sure that rtorrent is using it in the former sense.

--
see shy jo

Old 11-03-2010, 02:57 AM
Alan Ianson

On Tue, 2010-11-02 at 23:06 -0400, Celejar wrote:
> On Tue, 02 Nov 2010 19:24:20 -0700
> Alan Ianson <agianson@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2010-11-02 at 21:35 -0400, Rob Owens wrote:
> > > I'm new to bittorrent. I'm using rtorrent to download
> > > debian-506-i386-CD-1.iso. I set my firewall to forward TCP 6890-6999 to
> > > my bittorrent machine, per my .rtorrent.rc file.
> >
> > That sounds right for a classic bittorrent client. I used to open about
> > the same ports years ago with the first bittorrent client from Bram
> > Cohen when that was all there was..
>
> I don't think it actually makes a difference, as long as the firewall
> and the program are configured for the same ports.

Yes, that's the main thing. If the ports aren't open... nothing is going
to happen..

> And IIUC, one port is really all you need for normal usage. I don't
> remember what the point of multiple ports is, but I don't think that
> basic, normal usage needs them.

Yes, nowadays I use transmission and it only needs one port. You can
check in the settings if the port is open or not so there is no
guessing.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:19 AM
Rob Owens

On Tue, Nov 02, 2010 at 09:50:50PM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 21:35:24 -0400
> Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:
>
> > I'm new to bittorrent. I'm using rtorrent to download
> > debian-506-i386-CD-1.iso. I set my firewall to forward TCP 6890-6999 to
> > my bittorrent machine, per my .rtorrent.rc file.
>
> The best way to check that the ports are actually accessible from the
> 'net is to do an external port scan. You can do it yourself if you
> have access to an external machine; if not, try an online portscanner,
> e.g.:
>
> http://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2

nmap from an outside machine shows port 6948 as the only port open in
the range of 6890-6999.

> > So far I've downloaded 485 MB and uploaded only 9 MB. Did I do
> > something wrong, or is that normal?
>
> Can't know without details of this particular swarm; could be either.
> If almost everyone else already has the thing, there won't be anyone to
> upload to. Check how many peers there are in the swarm, and what are
> their completion percentages.

Now, about 8 hours or so later, it shows I've uploaded 130 MB. So I
guess it's working. I was just surprised at the light upload rate.

-Rob

Old 11-03-2010, 11:51 AM
Artifex Maximus

Hello!

On Wed, Nov 3, 2010 at 2:35 AM, Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:
> When I go to "Info" on this torrent, rtorrent says "Connection type:
> leech". *What do I need to do to be a good bittorrent citizen?

As long as you do not have each chunks of a torrent rtorrent says you
are leech. If you download torrent hundred percent you will turn to
seed.

This means if you do not download each file from a torrent (just
select some of them) you will never be a seeder. So this is only a
technical term.

Bye,

Old 11-04-2010, 01:22 AM
Celejar

On Wed, 3 Nov 2010 06:19:58 -0400
Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 02, 2010 at 09:50:50PM -0400, Celejar wrote:
> > On Tue, 2 Nov 2010 21:35:24 -0400
> > Rob Owens <rowens@ptd.net> wrote:
> >
> > > I'm new to bittorrent. I'm using rtorrent to download
> > > debian-506-i386-CD-1.iso. I set my firewall to forward TCP 6890-6999 to
> > > my bittorrent machine, per my .rtorrent.rc file.
> >
> > The best way to check that the ports are actually accessible from the
> > 'net is to do an external port scan. You can do it yourself if you
> > have access to an external machine; if not, try an online portscanner,
> > e.g.:
> >
> > http://www.grc.com/x/ne.dll?rh1dkyd2
> >
> nmap from an outside machine shows port 6948 as the only port open in
> the range of 6890-6999.

Do you have rtorrent configured to open ports randomly?

> > > So far I've downloaded 485 MB and uploaded only 9 MB. Did I do
> > > something wrong, or is that normal?
> >
> > Can't know without details of this particular swarm; could be either.
> > If almost everyone else already has the thing, there won't be anyone to
> > upload to. Check how many peers there are in the swarm, and what are
> > their completion percentages.
> >
> Now, about 8 hours or so later, it shows I've uploaded 130 MB. So I
> guess it's working. I was just surprised at the light upload rate.

Not necessarily. Even when you have no inbound connectivity, you'll
still upload to clients to whom you've initiated the connection.

Celejar