Old 02-01-2008, 02:57 AM
Amit Uttamchandani

Default Automated Testing using FLOSS Tools

Hi there,

I am planning to propose to the management folks at work a Debian Workstation that will be used to automate testing of the network devices that we produce.

I have done extensive research on testing tools. And I have come up with two main choices.

1. DejaGNU
* http://www.gnu.org/software/dejagnu/

2. Pexpect and pyserial
* http://pexpect.sourceforge.net/
* http://pyserial.sourceforge.net/

Here are the applications that need to be automated:

1. Telnet
2. FTP
3. Serial RS-232

I have a bunch of cross platform TCL scripts written that I can use with DejaGNU. However, I also love python and love the ease of use and rapid development time.

What have you guys used? What do you recommend? Is there some important application that I have missed here?

Thanks,
Amit