Old 02-01-2008, 02:57 AM
Amit Uttamchandani

Default Unstable wireless connection in Etch

Hey guys,

I have Etch running like a charm here. But recently I've been experiencing some unstable wireless connection on this laptop. Here are a few notes of the issue:

* Connection suddenly is lost and goes to 0/92 (according to sudo iwconfig)
* Started occurring randomly during the past month.
* Rebooting the system does not solve the issue.
* The wireless connection would suddenly come back up after a random interval of time.
* Closing the laptop lid and opening it again seems to quicken the time the wireless connection would come up.
* Laptop Specs: 500MHz PowerBook G4, 512MB RAM, Debian Etch

Does it sound like a hardware issue? How can I restart the "wireless subsystem?"

Thanks for all the help.

Amit

Old 02-01-2008, 11:56 PM
Greg Madden

On Thursday 31 January 2008 18:57:28 Amit Uttamchandani wrote:
> Hey guys,
>
> I have Etch running like a charm here. But recently I've been
> experiencing some unstable wireless connection on this laptop. Here are
> a few notes of the issue:
>
> * Connection suddenly is lost and goes to 0/92 (according to sudo
> iwconfig) * Started occurring randomly during the past month.
> * Rebooting the system does not solve the issue.
> * The wireless connection would suddenly come back up after a random
> interval of time. * Closing the laptop lid and opening it again seems
> to quicken the time the wireless connection would come up. * Laptop
> Specs: 500MHz PowerBook G4, 512MB RAM, Debian Etch
>
> Does it sound like a hardware issue? How can I restart the "wireless
> subsystem?"

restarting your network, '/etc/init.d/networking restart' assuming all is
well with the interfaces file.

--
Greg Madden