Old 02-01-2008, 01:51 AM
Sergio Belkin

Default OT:weird problem downloading big files

Hi,

I've stuck with a weird problem...

I can't download "big" files, I mean, I can't download well DVD iso files, for
example, if I try download any file of
http://linux.cucea.udg.mx/geeklog/staticpages/index.php?page=20080123170324195
I get something so:

wget
http://linux.cucea.udg.mx/espejo/Mandriva/2008.0/mandriva-linux-2008.0-free-dvd-i586.iso
--00:40:53--
http://linux.cucea.udg.mx/espejo/Mandriva/2008.0/mandriva-linux-2008.0-free-dvd-i586.iso
=> `mandriva-linux-2008.0-free-dvd-i586.iso'
Resolviendo linux.cucea.udg.mx... 148.202.23.6
Connecting to linux.cucea.udg.mx|148.202.23.6|:80... conectado.
Petición HTTP enviada, esperando respuesta... 200 OK
Longitud: 269.768.704 (257M) [application/octet-stream]

0%
[ ]
14.872 17.01K/s

257M??? Why other iso files has similar problem....

At first glance, I think that my wireless router was putting a limit, but then
I connect directly to my ISP... I'm not behind a proxy (well, I don't if my
ISP has one) but it's a recent
problem, please could say me what's wrong?

Same problem using either Mandriva 2008 or Fedora 8

Thanks in advance, and I'm sorry for the OT
--
Sergio Belkin

Old 02-01-2008, 02:20 AM
Andrew Reid

On Thursday 31 January 2008 21:51, Sergio Belkin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've stuck with a weird problem...
>
> I can't download "big" files, I mean, I can't download well DVD iso files,
> for example, if I try download any file of
> http://linux.cucea.udg.mx/geeklog/staticpages/index.php?page=20080123170324
>195 I get something so:

[snip]

This is probably a long shot, but a long time ago, some
routers or cable modems that did Network Address Translation
had a problem with packet fragmentation.

The issue was that the NAT business would add a few
bytes to the packets, and if they were already up against
the MTU limit for the connection, they'd go over, and get
fragmented, but the cable modem wouldn't recognize the
packet fragments, so the connection would just hang,
and this was common for big file transfers.

This is my rather hazy memory of the problem, of course.

The solution was to reset the MTU of the network interface
to be smaller than the default 1500. Doing something
like "ifconfig <iface> mtu 1492" would fix it.

I haven't heard of anyone having this problem for many
years, but it's possible there's a jumbo-frame analog
of it that's gotten you. In any case, it's pretty easy
to lower the mtu and give it a try.

-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net

Old 02-01-2008, 03:20 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Fri, Feb 01, 2008 at 12:51:28AM -0200, Sergio Belkin wrote:
> I've stuck with a weird problem...
>
> I can't download "big" files, I mean, I can't download well DVD iso
> files, for example, if I try download any file of

> 257M??? Why other iso files has similar problem....
>
> At first glance, I think that my wireless router was putting a limit,
> but then I connect directly to my ISP... I'm not behind a proxy (well,
> I don't if my ISP has one) but it's a recent problem, please could say
> me what's wrong?
>
> Same problem using either Mandriva 2008 or Fedora 8

What happens if you resume? What happens if you try from an rsync
server (doesn't matter what ISO you try to test, even if your hoped-fore
iso isn't on an rsync server)? What happens if you try a different
client? Try Lynx or mc.

Doug.

Old 02-02-2008, 03:28 AM
Raj Kiran Grandhi

Sergio Belkin wrote:
Hi,

I've stuck with a weird problem...

I can't download "big" files, I mean, I can't download well DVD iso files, for
example, if I try download any file of
http://linux.cucea.udg.mx/geeklog/staticpages/index.php?page=20080123170324195

I get something so:

wget
http://linux.cucea.udg.mx/espejo/Mandriva/2008.0/mandriva-linux-2008.0-free-dvd-i586.iso
--00:40:53--
http://linux.cucea.udg.mx/espejo/Mandriva/2008.0/mandriva-linux-2008.0-free-dvd-i586.iso

=> `mandriva-linux-2008.0-free-dvd-i586.iso'
Resolviendo linux.cucea.udg.mx... 148.202.23.6
Connecting to linux.cucea.udg.mx|148.202.23.6|:80... conectado.
Petición HTTP enviada, esperando respuesta... 200 OK
Longitud: 269.768.704 (257M) [application/octet-stream]

Does the version of wget you are using support large files? (> 4GB) I
faced a similar problem a couple of years ago and upgrading wget to the
most recent version solved it.

Try "downloading" a dvd iso from a local machine (say localhost running
apache) If it fails, try upgrading your client.

0%
[ ]
14.872 17.01K/s

257M??? Why other iso files has similar problem....

At first glance, I think that my wireless router was putting a limit, but then
I connect directly to my ISP... I'm not behind a proxy (well, I don't if my
ISP has one) but it's a recent
problem, please could say me what's wrong?

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think routers operate at a much
lower level and don't know anything about files and their sizes.

--
Raj Kiran Grandhi

Old 02-02-2008, 01:44 PM
Michelle Konzack

Am 2008-02-01 00:51:28, schrieb Sergio Belkin:
> Hi,
>
> I've stuck with a weird problem...
>
> I can't download "big" files, I mean, I can't download well DVD iso files, for

So you are using Sarge or an older version of Linux?

This version does NOT HAVE LFS (Large File Support).

The version of "wget" in Etch does not have this problem...
Also you can use "curl" or "mc".

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day
Michelle Konzack
Systemadministrator
Tamay Dogan Network
Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

Michelle Konzack Apt. 917 ICQ #328449886
50, rue de Soultz MSN LinuxMichi
0033/6/61925193 67100 Strasbourg/France IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)

Old 02-02-2008, 02:45 PM
"owens@peak.org"

]
> 14.872 17.01K/s
>
> 257M??? Why other iso files has similar problem....
>
> At first glance, I think that my wireless router was putting a limit, but
then
> I connect directly to my ISP... I'm not behind a proxy (well, I don't if
my
> ISP has one) but it's a recent
> problem, please could say me what's wrong?

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think routers operate at a much
lower level and don't know anything about files and their sizes.

>>You are correct. Routers operate at the IP level and aren't even aware
of TCP/UDP
Larry

--
Raj Kiran Grandhi