Old 02-01-2008, 01:27 AM
Amit Uttamchandani

Default local copy of wikipedia

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 10:44:43 +0000 (UTC)
Angie NegrónRolón <qpe-g452@myamail.com> wrote:

> Ivan Glushkov <glushkov <at> mail.desy.de> writes:
>

> > Hi,
> >
> > I want to have wikipedia locally on my debian laptop.
> >
> > Which way of installing wikipedia would take the least disk space?
> > What software I need to install/configure/run to have a local copy with
> > the full search functionality?
>

> http://users.softlab.ece.ntua.gr/~ttsiod/buildWikipediaOffline.html

You can use wget to create an offline mirror of the websites...there are examples in the wget man page. You can set how deep you want wget to retrieve the links..

amit

Old 02-01-2008, 08:38 AM
Ivan Glushkov

Old 02-01-2008, 08:41 AM
Ivan Glushkov

Old 02-02-2008, 01:03 PM
Wolodja Wentland

On Thu, 2008-01-31 at 10:33 +0100, Ivan Glushkov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I want to have wikipedia locally on my debian laptop. I tried to google
> about it, but the only useful link I found is
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipediaatabase_download
>
> , which does not really explain in details the installation process. Do
> you know a nice HowTo on the topic answering the following questions:

There is a nice how-to at

http://www.pilhokim.com/pilhowiki/index.php?title=EChronicle:Importing_Wikipedia

But be advised that it will take around one or two weeks to insert all
database dumps. I am not sure if you can skip a couple of those dumps in
order to save some space.

The following table gives you a short overview of the disk space you
will need. All this is without images and edit history.

6.9G ./wp_fr_20071203
26G ./wp_en_20071018
4.4G ./wp_it_20071215
3.2G ./wp_nl_20080104
3.0G ./wp_pt_20071116
344M ./wp_tr_20071128
3.7G ./wp_de_20071228
3.2G ./wp_ru_20080104
44M ./wp_sw_20071117
988M ./wp_no_20071127
623M ./wp_zh_20071119
3.2G ./wp_pl_20071129
1.5G ./wp_es_20071202
1.1G ./wp_fi_20080103

> Which way of installing wikipedia would take the least disk space?
> What software I need to install/configure/run to have a local copy with
> the full search functionality?

You will need to install MediaWiki and MySQL.

with kind regards

Wolodja Wentland