Old 10-12-2010, 05:56 PM
Arthur Machlas

Default WiFi: nm-applet, nm-editor, replace NetworkManager

2010/10/12 Stanisław Findeisen <stf@eisenbits.homelinux.net>:
> 3. This is not the first time I am having problems with NetworkManager
> here on Debian, so I think I will get rid of it. The question is how to
> switch between available WiFi connections without NetworkManager.
>
> For instance I could store network connection parameters unencrypted in
> /etc/wpa_supplicant.conf (-rw-------, root:root). How to make WPA
> Supplicant select the network I want?

wpa_supplicant in roaming mode might be suitable.
/usr/share/doc/wpa_supplicant has everything you need. Coles notes:

1. copy the example configuration to /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf
2. Define your networks in wpa_supplicant.conf as described in example
file and /usr/share/doc
2b. Use network definition order, and priority keyword to have
preferred assocation
3. Add defined networks to /etc/network/interfaces
4. restart network (I do a reboot to make sure everything is restarted.
5. (optional) install wpa_gui to manage from the desktop. I find it's
buggy, but unless you're running conky, it's a good way to see what
you're connected to, and switch it if it happens to grab the wrong
one.

Old 10-12-2010, 09:11 PM
Robert Holtzman

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 07:17:15PM +0200, Stanisław Findeisen wrote:

> 1. How to actually select the network to use? I was trying nm-applet but
> NetworkManager seems to fallback to eduroam-open simply becase it thinks
> it is "better":

Left click the nm icon and disconnect. Repeat and connect to another
network.

> 2. Where does nm-editor store network passwords? Are those files
> encrypted in any way?

Unencrypted passwords? You're joking, right?

> 3. This is not the first time I am having problems with NetworkManager
> here on Debian, so I think I will get rid of it. The question is how to
> switch between available WiFi connections without NetworkManager.

Wicd from the repos. Much more informative than nm.

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279

Old 10-12-2010, 09:24 PM
Mike Viau

> OnTue, 12 Oct 2010 14:11:13 -0700 <holtzm@cox.net> wrote:
>>
>> 3. This is not the first time I am having problems with NetworkManager
>> here on Debian, so I think I will get rid of it. The question is how to
>> switch between available WiFi connections without NetworkManager.
>
> Wicd from the repos. Much more informative than nm.

A question about Wicid.
* ability to connect to (and maintain profiles for) both wired and
wireless networks;
So does this mean that wicid can _not_ control/setup network bridges (e.g: with brctl)?

Just wanted to be sure.

Thanks.

-M

Old 10-12-2010, 09:48 PM
Wolodja Wentland

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 19:17 +0200, Stanisław Findeisen wrote:
> eduroam-open, which is open and very restricted
> eduroam, which requires authentication and is less restricted.

> 3. This is not the first time I am having problems with NetworkManager
> here on Debian, so I think I will get rid of it. The question is how
> switch between available WiFi connections without NetworkManager.

You can either (i) use wpa_supplicant directly (this has already been
noted in the thread) or (ii) use wicd.

I would encourage you to try wicd and switch to wpa_supplicant in
roaming mode if you are not happy. It works perfectly with eduroam and
provides a ncurses as well as a gtk gui.
--
.'`. Wolodja Wentland <wolodja.wentland@ed.ac.uk>
: :' :

Old 10-12-2010, 10:02 PM
Lisi

On Tuesday 12 October 2010 18:17:15 Stanisław Findeisen wrote:
> The question is how to
> switch between available WiFi connections without NetworkManager.

wicd?

Lisi

Old 10-13-2010, 03:00 AM
"s. keeling"

Robert Holtzman <holtzm@cox.net>:

> Wicd from the repos. Much more informative than nm.

I can attest to that. I found wicd difficult to turn off the other
day (until I looked for /etc/default/wicd). Then again, Win* guy next
door, now running linux, took to nm with no problem, way before I knew
anything about this !@#$.

[I don't use wifi; all I know about it is because *others* need help
with it. Damn, there's too many damned acronyms in that space].

Old 10-13-2010, 06:16 AM
Robert Holtzman

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 05:24:58PM -0400, Mike Viau wrote:

> > OnTue, 12 Oct 2010 14:11:13 -0700 <holtzm@cox.net> wrote:
> >>
> >> 3. This is not the first time I am having problems with NetworkManager
> >> here on Debian, so I think I will get rid of it. The question is how to
> >> switch between available WiFi connections without NetworkManager.
> >
> > Wicd from the repos. Much more informative than nm.
> >

> A question about Wicid.
> * ability to connect to (and maintain profiles for) both wired and
> wireless networks;
> So does this mean that wicid can _not_ control/setup network bridges (e.g: with brctl)?

Not sure. Try the wicd forum.

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279