Old 10-11-2010, 02:31 PM
Ron Johnson

Default Highly recommended openoffice packages

On 10/11/2010 09:06 AM, T o n g wrote:

Hi,

I did a rough count, and there are over 230 openoffice.org related
packages in Debain.

I only want to install a minimum set, eg, openoffice.org-writer,
openoffice.org-calc and openoffice.org-impress, but am wonder if any
other packages are recommended and worthwhile to install as well.

Besides installing the Big 5 (-calc, -draw, -impress, -math,
-writer) which will pull in the required dependencies), everything
else depends on what you want/need to *do*. These are the extra
packages I have installed:

openoffice.org-emailmerge
openoffice.org-filter-binfiltr
openoffice.org-gtk
openoffice.org-help-en-us
openoffice.org-hyphenation-en
openoffice.org-officebean
openoffice.org-pdfimport
openoffice.org-report-builder
openoffice.org-style-crystal
openoffice.org-style-galaxy
openoffice.org-style-oxygen
openoffice.org-style-tango
openoffice.org-thesaurus-en-us

--
Seek truth from facts.

Archive: 4CB31FB2.7090602@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4CB31FB2.7090602@cox.net

Old 10-11-2010, 03:25 PM
Camaleón

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 14:06:06 +0000, T o n g wrote:

> I did a rough count, and there are over 230 openoffice.org related
> packages in Debain.
>
> I only want to install a minimum set, eg, openoffice.org-writer,
> openoffice.org-calc and openoffice.org-impress, but am wonder if any
> other packages are recommended and worthwhile to install as well.

I only have installed these 25:

sm01@stt008:~$ dpkg -l | grep openoffice.org
ii openoffice.org
ii openoffice.org-base
ii openoffice.org-base-core
ii openoffice.org-calc
ii openoffice.org-common
ii openoffice.org-core
ii openoffice.org-draw
ii openoffice.org-evolution
ii openoffice.org-filter-mobiledev
ii openoffice.org-gcj
ii openoffice.org-gnome
ii openoffice.org-gtk
ii openoffice.org-help-en-us
ii openoffice.org-help-es
ii openoffice.org-impress
ii openoffice.org-java-common
ii openoffice.org-l10n-es
ii openoffice.org-math
ii openoffice.org-officebean
ii openoffice.org-report-builder-bin
ii openoffice.org-style-andromeda
ii openoffice.org-style-tango
ii openoffice.org-thesaurus-en-us
ii openoffice.org-writer
ii openoffice.org-writer2latex

Greetings,

--
Camaleónsm

Old 10-12-2010, 02:42 PM
T o n g

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 14:06:06 +0000, T o n g wrote:

> I only want to install a minimum set, eg, openoffice.org-writer,
> openoffice.org-calc and openoffice.org-impress, but am wonder if any
> other packages are recommended and worthwhile to install as well.

>From http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3903621/Goodbye-
OpenOffice-Nice-Knowing-You.htm

[OOo's] "spellchecker and grammar-checker components were and are
terrible"

. . . What is needed is the Extension from Open Office called LanguageTool
http://www.languagetool.org/

Do we have a corresponding Debian package for that?

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

Old 10-12-2010, 03:31 PM
Camaleón

On Tue, 12 Oct 2010 14:42:22 +0000, T o n g wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 14:06:06 +0000, T o n g wrote:
>
>> I only want to install a minimum set, eg, openoffice.org-writer,
>> openoffice.org-calc and openoffice.org-impress, but am wonder if any
>> other packages are recommended and worthwhile to install as well.
>
>>From http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3903621/Goodbye-
> OpenOffice-Nice-Knowing-You.htm
>
> [OOo's] "spellchecker and grammar-checker components were and are
> terrible"

No much more terrible than MS Office ones :-P

> . . . What is needed is the Extension from Open Office called
> LanguageTool http://www.languagetool.org/
>
> Do we have a corresponding Debian package for that?

I'm not in the need for that tool (default spell and grammar checkers are
fine), but it looks like an OOo extension so it should be simple to
install, just care about its requirements.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 10-12-2010, 05:56 PM
"John A. Sullivan III"

On Tue, 2010-10-12 at 14:42 +0000, T o n g wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 14:06:06 +0000, T o n g wrote:
>
> > I only want to install a minimum set, eg, openoffice.org-writer,
> > openoffice.org-calc and openoffice.org-impress, but am wonder if any
> > other packages are recommended and worthwhile to install as well.
>
> >From http://itmanagement.earthweb.com/osrc/article.php/3903621/Goodbye-
> OpenOffice-Nice-Knowing-You.htm
>
> [OOo's] "spellchecker and grammar-checker components were and are
> terrible"
>
> . . . What is needed is the Extension from Open Office called LanguageTool
> http://www.languagetool.org/
>
> Do we have a corresponding Debian package for that?
>
> --
> Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
> http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/
> http://xpt.sourceforge.net/tools/

I never heard of it but it looks like a fabulous tool. I see Debian bug
tracks showing discussion of packaging it all the way back to 2006 but I
still do not see a Debian package anywhere - John