Old 10-11-2010, 01:25 PM
Andrew McGlashan

Default Moving Debian installation to another partition.

Hi,

Roman Khomasuridze wrote:

Debian is on dev/sda2, i'm moving it to /dev/sda5

After some research and thinking(!), my plan is to do following steps:

1. mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
2. cp -ax /* /mnt
3. modify /mnt/boot/grub/menu.lst
4. modify /mnt/etc/fstab

For parts 1 and 2, I would boot from a livecd of some kind and do the
following:

1. /sbin/mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda5
2. mkdir /mnt/sda5
3. mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/sda5
4. aptitude install dump
5. cd /mnt/sda5
6. dump 0f - /dev/sda|restore rf -
7. cd
8. umount /mnt/sda5

That should copy all the file system over just fine.

*NB: make sure that /dev/sda2 is NOT mounted during this process*

Using dump for a mounted file system _may_ give issues, but probably
only if files are changing on the drive during ay time of the entire
process (atime updates might be an issue too) ... hence why NOT mounting
the source partition is better and safer.

--
Kind Regards
AndrewM

Andrew McGlashan
Broadband Solutions now including VoIP

Current Land Line No: 03 9912 0504
Mobile: 04 2574 1827 Fax: 03 9012 2178

National No: 1300 85 3804

Affinity Vision Australia Pty Ltd
http://www.affinityvision.com.au
http://adsl2choice.net.au

In Case of Emergency -- http://www.affinityvision.com.au/ice.html

Archive: 4CB31062.8050400@affinityvision.com.au">http://lists.debian.org/4CB31062.8050400@affinityvision.com.au

Old 10-11-2010, 05:18 PM
Roman Khomasuridze

I'll try to move unmounted /dev/sda2 from*live-CD, that sounds more reasonable to me.*

thanks a lot for suggestions!!

Regards
------------Roman

Old 10-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Frank McCormick

On Mon, 11 Oct 2010 21:18:10 +0400
Roman Khomasuridze <khomasuridze@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'll try to move unmounted /dev/sda2 from live-CD, that sounds more
> reasonable to me.
>

> thanks a lot for suggestions!!
>

> Regards
> ------------
> Roman
> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 5:25 PM, Andrew McGlashan <
> andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >

> > Roman Khomasuridze wrote:
> >
> >> Debian is on dev/sda2, i'm moving it to /dev/sda5
> >>
> >> After some research and thinking(!), my plan is to do following steps:
> >>
> >> 1. mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
> >> 2. cp -ax /* /mnt
> >> 3. modify /mnt/boot/grub/menu.lst
> >> 4. modify /mnt/etc/fstab
> >>

> > For parts 1 and 2, I would boot from a livecd of some kind and do the
> > following:
> >
> > 1. /sbin/mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda5
> > 2. mkdir /mnt/sda5
> > 3. mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/sda5
> > 4. aptitude install dump
> > 5. cd /mnt/sda5
> > 6. dump 0f - /dev/sda|restore rf -
> > 7. cd
> > 8. umount /mnt/sda5
> >
> > That should copy all the file system over just fine.
> >
> > *NB: make sure that /dev/sda2 is NOT mounted during this process*
> >
> > Using dump for a mounted file system _may_ give issues, but probably only
> > if files are changing on the drive during ay time of the entire process
> > (atime updates might be an issue too) ... hence why NOT mounting the source
> > partition is better and safer.
> >
> > --

It may be too late for you...but I recently had to move 5 partitions on a 30 gig disk to
a 500 gig SATA drive. After Googling until I was almost blind, I decided on using a CloneZilla live disk.
Best decision I ever made. The transfer went flawlessly, even moving Grub for me.
As an aside, I had to move Windows XP on my wifes machine to an identical 500 gig drive. It too went flawlessly,
using a utility provided by Seagate. It was slicker than CloneZilla, but both did the job.

--
Frank <debianlist@videotron.ca>

Old 10-11-2010, 05:44 PM
Andrew McGlashan

Hi,

Roman Khomasuridze wrote:
I'll try to move unmounted /dev/sda2 from live-CD, that sounds more
reasonable to me.

thanks a lot for suggestions!!

You are welcome, but please read a little further below ....

For parts 1 and 2, I would boot from a livecd of some kind and do
the following:

1. /sbin/mkfs.ext3 /dev/sda5
2. mkdir /mnt/sda5
3. mount /dev/sda5 /mnt/sda5
4. aptitude install dump
5. cd /mnt/sda5
6. dump 0f - /dev/sda|restore rf -

6. dump 0f - /dev/sda2|restore rf -

Uggh, watch out for the typo! Was missing the 2 in the source partition.

Cheers
AndrewM

Archive: 4CB34D19.6050900@affinityvision.com.au">http://lists.debian.org/4CB34D19.6050900@affinityvision.com.au

Old 10-11-2010, 08:25 PM
Roman Khomasuridze

Nope, it's not too late, this installation means too much to me (huh), so I'm not in rush and am considering various options. Probably i'll test all of the options on my test machine (if it's still alive) in couple of days.*
As of CloneZilla suggestion, I was not even considering it, don't know why though.. Looks quite interesting

Thanks all
Regards------------Roman