FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-10-2010, 06:31 PM
lee
 
Default setting up mouse and keyboard for X11

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 07:56:07PM +0200, lee wrote:
> Hi,
>
> unfortunately, the configuration of mouse and keyboard for X11 has
> changed, so they dont work correctly anymore after a fresh
> install.
>
> Now I need keyboard and mouse to work as they did before:
>
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Mouse0"
> Driver "mouse"
> Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
> Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> Option "11"
> Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
> Option "EmulateWheel" "True"
> Option "EmulateWheelButton" "8"
> Option "YAxisMapping" "4 5"
> Option "EmulateWheelClickToo" "0"
> EndSection
>
> Section "InputDevice"
> Identifier "Keyboard0"
> Driver "kbd"
> Option "XKBOptions" "ctrl:nocaps"
> Option "XkbModel" "pc102"
> Option "XkbLayout" "de"
> EndSection
>
> How do I tell the x-server that I have a keyboard with 102 keys? How
> do I make it so that the trackball emulates a mouse wheel again?

Ok, I was able to enable the wheel emulation with


xinput -set-prop "PS2++ Logitech TrackMan" "Evdev Wheel Emulation Button" 8


How do I make it so that its set up automatically?

The problem with the keyboard remains ...


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20101010183134.GB4464@yun.yagibdah.de">http://lists.debian.org/20101010183134.GB4464@yun.yagibdah.de
 
Old 10-10-2010, 10:37 PM
 
Default setting up mouse and keyboard for X11

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 20:31:34 +0200
lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 07:56:07PM +0200, lee wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > unfortunately, the configuration of mouse and keyboard for X11 has
> > changed, so they dont work correctly anymore after a fresh
> > install.
> >
> > Now I need keyboard and mouse to work as they did before:
> >
> >
> > Section "InputDevice"
> > Identifier "Mouse0"
> > Driver "mouse"
> > Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
> > Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> > Option "11"
> > Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
> > Option "EmulateWheel" "True"
> > Option "EmulateWheelButton" "8"
> > Option "YAxisMapping" "4 5"
> > Option "EmulateWheelClickToo" "0"
> > EndSection
> >
> > Section "InputDevice"
> > Identifier "Keyboard0"
> > Driver "kbd"
> > Option "XKBOptions" "ctrl:nocaps"
> > Option "XkbModel" "pc102"
> > Option "XkbLayout" "de"
> > EndSection
> >
> > How do I tell the x-server that I have a keyboard with 102 keys? How
> > do I make it so that the trackball emulates a mouse wheel again?
>
> Ok, I was able to enable the wheel emulation with
>
>
> xinput -set-prop "PS2++ Logitech TrackMan" "Evdev Wheel Emulation
> Button" 8
>
>
> How do I make it so that its set up automatically?
>
> The problem with the keyboard remains ...
>
>

that's strange - your xconfig file looks like it's set-up correctly and
that you wouldn't need the xinput.

did you restart the x-server ?

I would do a little more research on the x-config file. that's really
where you want the set-up to live.

I used commands in my .xsesssion file to do that sort of thing, but I'm
not running an "environment", so if you are running gnome or kde
desktop, I don't know what you would need to do.

It really should be part of the xconfig file...

Brian


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20101010153713.3e6e0d1e@windy.deldotd.com">http://lists.debian.org/20101010153713.3e6e0d1e@windy.deldotd.com
 
Old 10-11-2010, 08:56 AM
lee
 
Default setting up mouse and keyboard for X11

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 03:37:13PM -0700, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 20:31:34 +0200
> lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
>
> > On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 07:56:07PM +0200, lee wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > unfortunately, the configuration of mouse and keyboard for X11 has
> > > changed, so they dont work correctly anymore after a fresh
> > > install.
> > >
> > > Now I need keyboard and mouse to work as they did before:
> > >
> > >
> > > Section "InputDevice"
> > > Identifier "Mouse0"
> > > Driver "mouse"
> > > Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
> > > Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> > > Option "11"
> > > Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
> > > Option "EmulateWheel" "True"
> > > Option "EmulateWheelButton" "8"
> > > Option "YAxisMapping" "4 5"
> > > Option "EmulateWheelClickToo" "0"
> > > EndSection
> > >
> > > Section "InputDevice"
> > > Identifier "Keyboard0"
> > > Driver "kbd"
> > > Option "XKBOptions" "ctrl:nocaps"
> > > Option "XkbModel" "pc102"
> > > Option "XkbLayout" "de"
> > > EndSection
> > >
> > > How do I tell the x-server that I have a keyboard with 102 keys? How
> > > do I make it so that the trackball emulates a mouse wheel again?
> >
> > Ok, I was able to enable the wheel emulation with
> >
> >
> > xinput -set-prop "PS2++ Logitech TrackMan" "Evdev Wheel Emulation
> > Button" 8
> >
> >
> > How do I make it so that its set up automatically?
> >
> > The problem with the keyboard remains ...
> >
> >
>
> that's strange - your xconfig file looks like it's set-up correctly and
> that you wouldn't need the xinput.

It is set up correctly, but the settings are ignored, see man
xorg.conf: "If AllowEmptyInput is on, devices using the kbd, mouse or
vmmouse driver are ignored."

When I turn AllowEmptyInput off, all input devices are ignored (((

> It really should be part of the xconfig file...

Indeed, it should, but they changed it.

Perhaps it works when I disable hald? Whats hald good for, anyway? It
only makes things unconfigurable, but does it have any advantages? Is
it some sort of virus that has been ported from windoze?


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20101011085635.GC4464@yun.yagibdah.de">http://lists.debian.org/20101011085635.GC4464@yun.yagibdah.de
 
Old 10-11-2010, 01:09 PM
Kelly Clowers
 
Default setting up mouse and keyboard for X11

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 01:56, lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 03:37:13PM -0700, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
>> On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 20:31:34 +0200
>> lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
>>
>> >
>> > * xinput -set-prop "PS2++ Logitech TrackMan" "Evdev Wheel Emulation
>> > Button" 8
>> >
>> >
>> > How do I make it so that it's set up automatically?

Mouse stuff still goes in xorg.conf AFAIK
You probably want:
driver "evdev"
and delete the "protocol" line altogether.

You might try:
device "mouse0"
as well.

>> > The problem with the keyboard remains ...

try setting it in /etc/default/keyboard

Here's mine:
XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="jp,us"
XKBVARIANT="OADG109A,intl"
XKBOPTIONS="grp:shift_toggle,ctrl:nocaps"


>> that's strange - your xconfig file looks like it's set-up correctly and
>> that you wouldn't need the xinput.
>
> It is set up correctly, but the settings are ignored, see man
> xorg.conf: "If AllowEmptyInput is on, devices using the kbd, mouse or
> vmmouse driver are ignored."
>
> When I turn AllowEmptyInput off, all input devices are ignored (((
>
>> It really should be part of the xconfig file...
>
> Indeed, it should, but they changed it.

for good reason: now keyboard config is universal between the console
and X

> Perhaps it works when I disable hald? What愀 hald good for, anyway? It
> only makes things unconfigurable, but does it have any advantages? Is
> it some sort of virus that has been ported from windoze?

Hal was fundamentally a good idea, but had some implementation
problems that cause them to eventually replace it with direct libudev
access and upower and udisks (formerly devicekit-*). Squeeze's X
uses udev instead of HAL


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: AANLkTi=Ocve+B0wGBA9qTA_kzow82noLtH19w+kxMKin@mail .gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTi=Ocve+B0wGBA9qTA_kzow82noLtH19w+kxMKin@mail .gmail.com
 
Old 10-11-2010, 01:48 PM
lee
 
Default setting up mouse and keyboard for X11

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 10:56:35AM +0200, lee wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 03:37:13PM -0700, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
> > On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 20:31:34 +0200
> > lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> >
> > > On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 07:56:07PM +0200, lee wrote:
> > > > Hi,
> > > >
> > > > unfortunately, the configuration of mouse and keyboard for X11 has
> > > > changed, so they dont work correctly anymore after a fresh
> > > > install.
> > > >
> > > > Now I need keyboard and mouse to work as they did before:
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Section "InputDevice"
> > > > Identifier "Mouse0"
> > > > Driver "mouse"
> > > > Option "Protocol" "ExplorerPS/2"
> > > > Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
> > > > Option "11"
> > > > Option "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
> > > > Option "EmulateWheel" "True"
> > > > Option "EmulateWheelButton" "8"
> > > > Option "YAxisMapping" "4 5"
> > > > Option "EmulateWheelClickToo" "0"
> > > > EndSection
> > > >
> > > > Section "InputDevice"
> > > > Identifier "Keyboard0"
> > > > Driver "kbd"
> > > > Option "XKBOptions" "ctrl:nocaps"
> > > > Option "XkbModel" "pc102"
> > > > Option "XkbLayout" "de"
> > > > EndSection
> > > >
> > > > How do I tell the x-server that I have a keyboard with 102 keys? How
> > > > do I make it so that the trackball emulates a mouse wheel again?
> > >
> > > Ok, I was able to enable the wheel emulation with
> > >
> > >
> > > xinput -set-prop "PS2++ Logitech TrackMan" "Evdev Wheel Emulation
> > > Button" 8
> > >
> > >
> > > How do I make it so that its set up automatically?
> > >
> > > The problem with the keyboard remains ...
> > >
> > >
> >

The setting is in /etc/default/keyboard:


XKBMODEL="pc102"
XKBLAYOUT="de"
XKBVARIANT="nodeadkeys"
XKBOPTIONS="ctrl:nocaps"


After rebooting, the xserver finally thinks its got a keyboard with
102 keys. Using KDE keyboard layouts, I was able to create a new
.Xmodmap with xmodmap -pke and to edit the new map to get the keyboard
layout I want. Remember to disable KDE keyboard layouts before loading
the .Xmodmap.

Now how about the button mapping of the mouse? There must be some
place to configure that ...


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20101011134843.GA4178@yun.yagibdah.de">http://lists.debian.org/20101011134843.GA4178@yun.yagibdah.de
 
Old 10-11-2010, 03:19 PM
lee
 
Default setting up mouse and keyboard for X11

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 06:09:20AM -0700, Kelly Clowers wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 01:56, lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 03:37:13PM -0700, briand@aracnet.com wrote:
> >> On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 20:31:34 +0200
> >> lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> >>
> >> >
> >> > * xinput -set-prop "PS2++ Logitech TrackMan" "Evdev Wheel Emulation
> >> > Button" 8
> >> >
> >> >
> >> > How do I make it so that it's set up automatically?
>
> Mouse stuff still goes in xorg.conf AFAIK
> You probably want:
> driver "evdev"
> and delete the "protocol" line altogether.
>
> You might try:
> device "mouse0"
> as well.

That might work, it´s worth a try, thanks.

> > Indeed, it should, but they changed it.
>
> for good reason: now keyboard config is universal between the console
> and X

The keyboard layout is different on the console because Xmodmap is
ineffective on the console ... And how´s that the other way round:
When you modify the keyboard layout on the console, will you have the
same layount for X11?

> > Perhaps it works when I disable hald? What愀 hald good for, anyway? It
> > only makes things unconfigurable, but does it have any advantages? Is
> > it some sort of virus that has been ported from windoze?
>
> Hal was fundamentally a good idea, but had some implementation
> problems that cause them to eventually replace it with direct libudev
> access and upower and udisks (formerly devicekit-*). Squeeze's X
> uses udev instead of HAL

Hm, I´m using testing, but hal was installed automatically because
packages depend on it. What´s it for when it´s not being used?


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20101011151917.GB4178@yun.yagibdah.de">http://lists.debian.org/20101011151917.GB4178@yun.yagibdah.de
 
Old 10-11-2010, 03:24 PM
Jrg-Volker Peetz
 
Default setting up mouse and keyboard for X11

AFAIR, to configure X only with the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file it is
recommended to disable the "ServerFlags" option "AutoAddDevices" (see
man xorg.conf and /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-core/changelog.gz).

Otherwise the configuration shall be migrated to
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf (see
/usr/share/doc/xser-xorg-core/changelog.Debian.gz).
--
Best regards,
Jrg-Volker.


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: i8va66$u43$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/i8va66$u43$1@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 10-11-2010, 08:01 PM
lee
 
Default setting up mouse and keyboard for X11

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 05:24:13PM +0200, Jrg-Volker Peetz wrote:
> AFAIR, to configure X only with the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file it is
> recommended to disable the "ServerFlags" option "AutoAddDevices" (see
> man xorg.conf and /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-core/changelog.gz).

When I do that, neither keyboard nor mouse work and Im forced to
press the reset button.

> Otherwise the configuration shall be migrated to
> /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf (see
> /usr/share/doc/xser-xorg-core/changelog.Debian.gz).

Thanks! The manpage of evdev shows that theres no option to set the
property "Evdev Wheel Emulation" which is disabled by default. How do
you configure this property?

The manpage also doesnt say anything about keyboards.

And how does a configuration file under /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/
fit into the Debian policy that all configuration files reside under
/etc? Shouldnt there be a file /etc/defaults/mouse (and more files
for more input devices) to set up the mouse just like theres
/etc/defaults/keyboard? Once all input devices are configured the same
way for X11 and the console, they should work on both ...


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: 20101011200131.GC4178@yun.yagibdah.de">http://lists.debian.org/20101011200131.GC4178@yun.yagibdah.de
 
Old 10-12-2010, 10:39 AM
Jrg-Volker Peetz
 
Default setting up mouse and keyboard for X11

lee wrote, on 10/11/10 22:01:
> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 05:24:13PM +0200, Jrg-Volker Peetz wrote:
>> AFAIR, to configure X only with the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file it is
>> recommended to disable the "ServerFlags" option "AutoAddDevices" (see
>> man xorg.conf and /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-core/changelog.gz).
>
> When I do that, neither keyboard nor mouse work and Im forced to
> press the reset button.
>
That seems strange. Did you also disable "AllowEmptyInput"?
Can we take a look at /etc/X11/xorg.conf and /var/log/Xorg.0.log for
that case?
Have you tried to start X without any /usr/X11/xorg.conf file?

>> Otherwise the configuration shall be migrated to
>> /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf (see
>> /usr/share/doc/xser-xorg-core/changelog.Debian.gz).
>
> Thanks! The manpage of evdev shows that theres no option to set the
> property "Evdev Wheel Emulation" which is disabled by default. How do
> you configure this property?
>
I'm still using the xorg.conf configuration and have disabled the device
detection by udev.
What is the output in /var/log/Xorg.0.log when you put these directives
into /etc/X11/xorg.conf?
Did you try to change the mouse configuration in
/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf for the "InputClass" "evdev
pointer catchall"? In your Xorg.0.log it says:

(**) PS2++ Logitech TrackMan: Applying InputClass "evdev pointer catchall"

> The manpage also doesnt say anything about keyboards.
>
> And how does a configuration file under /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/
> fit into the Debian policy that all configuration files reside under
> /etc? Shouldnt there be a file /etc/defaults/mouse (and more files
> for more input devices) to set up the mouse just like theres
> /etc/defaults/keyboard? Once all input devices are configured the same
> way for X11 and the console, they should work on both ...
>
You're right. I think, when things get settled there will be a directory
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d containing these config files.
--
Best regards,
Jrg-Volker.




--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: i91dsc$8ok$1@dough.gmane.org">http://lists.debian.org/i91dsc$8ok$1@dough.gmane.org
 
Old 10-13-2010, 01:25 AM
Kelly Clowers
 
Default setting up mouse and keyboard for X11

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 08:19, lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
>
> The keyboard layout is different on the console because Xmodmap is
> ineffective on the console

Not at all, it works very well in my experience

>... And how´s that the other way round:
> When you modify the keyboard layout on the console, will you have the
> same layount for X11?

Indeed

>> > Perhaps it works when I disable hald? What愀 hald good for, anyway? It
>> > only makes things unconfigurable, but does it have any advantages? Is
>> > it some sort of virus that has been ported from windoze?
>>
>> Hal was fundamentally a good idea, but had some implementation
>> problems that cause them to eventually replace it with direct libudev
>> access and upower and udisks (formerly devicekit-*). Squeeze's X
>> uses udev instead of HAL
>
> Hm, I´m using testing, but hal was installed automatically because
> packages depend on it. What´s it for when it´s not being used?

Ugh, KDE in particular (and few others as well) have been slow to change
over to udev/udisks/upower.

Use aptitude in interactive mode to see hal's reverse dependencies, and
which of them are installed. For example, k3b is only reason I currently
have hal installed.


Cheers,
Kelly Clowers


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
Archive: AANLkTinzBKCHFA738gNOtvOJ+3xnini2PgV0fkJMQNMj@mail .gmail.com">http://lists.debian.org/AANLkTinzBKCHFA738gNOtvOJ+3xnini2PgV0fkJMQNMj@mail .gmail.com
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:13 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org