Old 10-13-2010, 02:05 AM
Kelly Clowers

Default setting up mouse and keyboard for X11

On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 13:01, lee <lee@yun.yagibdah.de> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 11, 2010 at 05:24:13PM +0200, Jörg-Volker Peetz wrote:
>> AFAIR, to configure X only with the /etc/X11/xorg.conf file it is
>> recommended to disable the "ServerFlags" option "AutoAddDevices" (see
>> man xorg.conf and /usr/share/doc/xserver-xorg-core/changelog.gz).
>
> When I do that, neither keyboard nor mouse work and I´m forced to
> press the reset button.
>
>> Otherwise the configuration shall be migrated to
>> /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf (see
>> /usr/share/doc/xser-xorg-core/changelog.Debian.gz).
>
> Thanks! The manpage of evdev shows that there´s no option to set the
> property "Evdev Wheel Emulation" which is disabled by default. How do
> you configure this property?
>
> The manpage also doesn´t say anything about keyboards.

Keyboard config is still handled via the xkb subsystem in X.

/usr/share/doc/console-setup/README.gz has the details on
/etc/default/console-setup or /etc/default/keyboard

> And how does a configuration file under /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/
> fit into the Debian policy that all configuration files reside under
> /etc? Shouldn´t there be a file /etc/defaults/mouse (and more files
> for more input devices) to set up the mouse just like there´s
> /etc/defaults/keyboard? Once all input devices are configured the same
> way for X11 and the console, they should work on both ...

Mouse on the console still uses gpm, with the config file /etc/gpm.conf

As for the other file, the copy in /usr/share/ is always the original copy
of the default version of the file. It should be copied to /etc/ and modified.
In this case it becomes /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers