Old 10-10-2010, 05:39 PM
godo

Default converting jpg to pdf without imagemagick

On 10/10/2010 07:20 PM, Jozsef Vadkan wrote:

after trying to convert 173 jpg files to one pdf:

strace convert *.jpg ../outpud.pdf -verbose
+++ killed by SIGKILL +++

...it just can't handle it??? ok...

i tried to search the net for converters...even apps made for
windows...but there are no working solution with wine [several is just
a virus according to virustotal...trojans, etc..]

can someone help me, how to convert 173 jpg files [~100 MByte] to one
pdf, _NOT_ using imagemagick?

Thank you!

Did you try sam2p?
http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=sam2p

--
Bye,
Goran Dobosevic

Archive: 4CB1FA40.7070104@dobosevic.com">http://lists.debian.org/4CB1FA40.7070104@dobosevic.com

Old 10-10-2010, 06:12 PM
David Fletcher

On Sunday 10 Oct 2010, Jozsef Vadkan wrote:
> after trying to convert 173 jpg files to one pdf:
>
> strace convert *.jpg ../outpud.pdf -verbose

Try using gscan2pdf. I've only ever used it to scan documents to pdfs as a
backup copy before sending them through the post, but when I saw your request
just now, I looked to see if it has an import function, and it does.

I just used file -> import which allowed me to block select a bunch of jpg
files (I did 22), then I clicked the pdf control, and it made a pdf, one
image per page. Made a damn fine job of it too, I thought.

Dave

Old 10-10-2010, 06:44 PM
Marius Gedminas

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 07:20:41PM +0200, Jozsef Vadkan wrote:
> after trying to convert 173 jpg files to one pdf:
>
> strace convert *.jpg ../outpud.pdf -verbose
> +++ killed by SIGKILL +++
>
> ...it just can't handle it??? ok...

About eight years ago I tried to convert a bunch of scanned lecture
notes (~70 jpg files) to a PDF, and discovered that ImageMagick has a
memory leak. I was able to complete the conversion by adding a few
large swap files:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/swapfile bs=1M count=2000
mkswap /tmp/swapfile
swapon /tmp/swapfile

I wonder if you've stumbled upon the same bug, still not fixed in eight
years...

Marius Gedminas
--
Place mark here ->[ ]<- if you want a dirty monitor.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:52 PM
Camaleón

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 19:20:36 +0200, Jozsef Vadkan wrote:

(...)

> can someone help me, how to convert 173 jpg files [~100 MByte] to one
> pdf, _NOT_ using imagemagick?

With GNOME or KDE is quite easy.

Go to the folder you have all the JPG files and select all the files,
right click and open with "gThumb", select all the thumbnails and print
them with GNOME PDF printer.

You're done.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 10-10-2010, 07:51 PM
Dave Thayer

On Sun, Oct 10, 2010 at 07:20:36PM +0200, Jozsef Vadkan wrote:

> can someone help me, how to convert 173 jpg files [~100 MByte] to one
> pdf, _NOT_ using imagemagick?

Are you able to convert the images into individual PDFs without
crashing? If so, you could use pdftk to merge the resulting PDFs into
a single file.

dt

--
Dave Thayer | Whenever you read a good book, it's like the
Denver, Colorado USA | author is right there, in the room talking to

Old 10-10-2010, 08:02 PM
NoOp

On 10/10/2010 11:12 AM, David Fletcher wrote:
> On Sunday 10 Oct 2010, Jozsef Vadkan wrote:
>> after trying to convert 173 jpg files to one pdf:
>>
>> strace convert *.jpg ../outpud.pdf -verbose
>
> Try using gscan2pdf. I've only ever used it to scan documents to pdfs as a
> backup copy before sending them through the post, but when I saw your request
> just now, I looked to see if it has an import function, and it does.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/gscan2pdf
depends:
imagemagick

Old 10-10-2010, 08:05 PM
Jozsef Vadkan

OMG. I didn't know that. [gthumb]

IT worked!!

Thank you!!

Old 10-11-2010, 01:47 AM
Patton Echols

On 10/10/2010 01:02 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 10/10/2010 11:12 AM, David Fletcher wrote:
>
>> On Sunday 10 Oct 2010, Jozsef Vadkan wrote:
>>
>>> after trying to convert 173 jpg files to one pdf:
>>>
>>> strace convert *.jpg ../outpud.pdf -verbose
>>>
>> Try using gscan2pdf. I've only ever used it to scan documents to pdfs as a
>> backup copy before sending them through the post, but when I saw your request
>> just now, I looked to see if it has an import function, and it does.
>>

> http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/gscan2pdf
> depends:
> imagemagick

True, but I don't interpret that to be OP's objection. Gscan2pdf does
solve the problem, at least paritally / mostly.

I tried it on my system. While 'convert *.jpg result.tif' succeeds in
creating a multipage tiff, but 'convert *.jpg result.pdf' fails with
"Segmentation fault".

But I am able to use gscan2pdf to import large number of jpegs write
pdf. I say the problem is only "mostly" solved because it does not
appear that you can feed a group of images from a command line and
automatically spit out a pdf. (Not really surprising for a GUI tool)

If a command line soltution is needed, maybe make the intermediate tiff
and then use tiff2pdf. Try the -n switch if you get weird colors, the
-j switch to recompress and -q <qual> to set jpeg compression if you
don't like the default. Oh, and the default output is stdout, so you
need an explicit -o <filename>.

As you can tell, I fiddled a little. I could not figure out how to get
tiff2pdf to take input from stdin anyone who's had success can chime in.

-- PE

Old 10-11-2010, 02:48 AM
NoOp

On 10/10/2010 06:47 PM, Patton Echols wrote:
> On 10/10/2010 01:02 PM, NoOp wrote:

>>> Try using gscan2pdf. I've only ever used it to scan documents to pdfs as a
>>> backup copy before sending them through the post, but when I saw your request
>>> just now, I looked to see if it has an import function, and it does.
>>>

>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/gscan2pdf
>> depends:
>> imagemagick
>>

> True, but I don't interpret that to be OP's objection. Gscan2pdf does
> solve the problem, at least paritally / mostly.

I brought that up as the subject of this thread is:
"converting jpg to pdf *without imagemagick*"
[emphasis mine]

Old 10-11-2010, 03:35 AM
Patton Echols

On 10/10/2010 07:48 PM, NoOp wrote:
> On 10/10/2010 06:47 PM, Patton Echols wrote:

>>> http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/gscan2pdf
>>> depends:
>>> imagemagick
>>>

>> True, but I don't interpret that to be OP's objection. Gscan2pdf does
>> solve the problem, at least paritally / mostly.
>>

> I brought that up as the subject of this thread is:
> "converting jpg to pdf *without imagemagick*"
> [emphasis mine]

Correct. That is exactly what OP said. But I thought he did not mean it
literally. My interpretation is because OP attempted an IM conversion
and gave failure information. I thought OP was saying: 'Look, I've
already tried IM, please don't suggest that.'

At any rate I thought that there were two things important. (1) That
gscan2pdf does work, even though it

-- PE