Old 10-10-2010, 12:32 AM
Memnon Anon

Default Pdf Font hardly legible

Hi,

I've been using xpdf for a looong time, and I never had a problem,
except that it can be a bit slow on my old machine.

So today, I tested evince and epdfview, but some pdfs (all from the same
source) which are perfectly fine in xpdf are hardly legible.

,----
| memnon@mymachine:~/pdf$ pdffonts -f 3 xyz.pdf
| name type emb sub uni object ID
| ------------------------------------ ----------------- --- --- --- ---------
| Times-Bold Type 1 no no no 8 0
`----

I suspect that this font is not available to evince and epdfview and so
it chooses a "bad" alternative instead. Installing the msttcorefonts
(brrrrr) did not help, either.

However, I know that lots of you people do not use xpdf, and I think
there should be a remedy.

Any advice is very much appreciated.

Memnon

Old 10-10-2010, 12:54 AM
John Jason Jordan

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 02:32:57 +0200
Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> dijo:

>However, I know that lots of you people do not use xpdf, and I think
>there should be a remedy.

Of the open source PDF viewers, Okular (formerly Kpdf) is the best
overall . But Evince has a better export to PostScript and is more
lightweight. I don't mind using closed source apps as long as they're
free, so I use Adobe Reader a lot as well. There was a recent upgrade
of Adobe Reader to 9.4. Among other closed source tools I also have
Cabaret and Foxit Reader, all running natively on Linux x86_64.

Old 10-10-2010, 02:00 AM
Memnon Anon

John Jason Jordan <johnxj@comcast.net> writes:

> Of the open source PDF viewers, Okular (formerly Kpdf) is the best
> overall . But Evince has a better export to PostScript and is more
> lightweight. I don't mind using closed source apps as long as they're
> free, so I use Adobe Reader a lot as well. There was a recent upgrade
> of Adobe Reader to 9.4. Among other closed source tools I also have
> Cabaret and Foxit Reader, all running natively on Linux x86_64.

Lightweight is what I need. My machine is an "old" P3 1.2 Ghz with
"only" 512 MB Ram. I tried Adobe Reader once, but it was *really* heavy;
it was ridiculous: this machine suffices for everything I do, but
reading a text 100 pages long with Adobe Reader made it feel sluggish.

Pdf has its benefits, but I really don't understand why displaying text
has to freak out my notebook more than basically anything else I am
doing, even with xpdf

Memnon

Old 10-10-2010, 02:19 AM
Ron Johnson

Of the open source PDF viewers, Okular (formerly Kpdf) is the best
overall . But Evince has a better export to PostScript and is more
lightweight. I don't mind using closed source apps as long as they're
free, so I use Adobe Reader a lot as well. There was a recent upgrade
of Adobe Reader to 9.4. Among other closed source tools I also have
Cabaret and Foxit Reader, all running natively on Linux x86_64.

Lightweight is what I need. My machine is an "old" P3 1.2 Ghz with
"only" 512 MB Ram. I tried Adobe Reader once, but it was *really* heavy;
it was ridiculous: this machine suffices for everything I do, but
reading a text 100 pages long with Adobe Reader made it feel sluggish.

Pdf has its benefits, but I really don't understand why displaying text
has to freak out my notebook more than basically anything else I am
doing, even with xpdf

What WM/DE do you use?

--
Seek truth from facts.

Archive: 4CB122B1.6080306@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4CB122B1.6080306@cox.net

Old 10-10-2010, 03:00 AM
Memnon Anon

Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> writes:

> On 10/09/2010 09:00 PM, Memnon Anon wrote:
>> Pdf has its benefits, but I really don't understand why displaying text
>> has to freak out my notebook more than basically anything else I am
>> doing, even with xpdf
>>

> What WM/DE do you use?

I do basically everything with
Emacs/Ratpoison/Conkeror/mplayer.

Irc/Jabber with bitlbee+erc, surfing with Conkeror, Mail+News with gnus,
latex with auctex ...

Nothing brings this machine down like a large or complex pdf.

pdftotext is not really a solution.

I guess I will add some more ram soon.

Funny, I used to say: "Hey, I need to update my machine: Doom 2 is too
slow!" and it made sense. Now, its: "Uh, I need to upgrade, viewing 3
papers at the same time for my theses is too slow?!".

I wish jstor.org offered download as plain text or html, but at least
its not doc .

Memnon

Old 10-10-2010, 05:15 AM
Celejar

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 02:00:10 +0000 (UTC)
Memnon Anon <gegendosenfleisch@googlemail.com> wrote:

> John Jason Jordan <johnxj@comcast.net> writes:
>
> > Of the open source PDF viewers, Okular (formerly Kpdf) is the best
> > overall . But Evince has a better export to PostScript and is more
> > lightweight. I don't mind using closed source apps as long as they're
> > free, so I use Adobe Reader a lot as well. There was a recent upgrade
> > of Adobe Reader to 9.4. Among other closed source tools I also have
> > Cabaret and Foxit Reader, all running natively on Linux x86_64.
>
> Lightweight is what I need. My machine is an "old" P3 1.2 Ghz with
> "only" 512 MB Ram. I tried Adobe Reader once, but it was *really* heavy;
> it was ridiculous: this machine suffices for everything I do, but
> reading a text 100 pages long with Adobe Reader made it feel sluggish.
>
> Pdf has its benefits, but I really don't understand why displaying text
> has to freak out my notebook more than basically anything else I am
> doing, even with xpdf

Look into mupdf - a really lightweight PDF reader.

Celejar

Old 10-10-2010, 05:51 AM
John Jason Jordan

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 01:15:00 -0400
Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> dijo:

>Look into mupdf - a really lightweight PDF reader.

I downloaded the tar.gz file and untarred it, but could not figure out
how to install it. There is no .deb or .rpm file in the archive.

Note: I want to install it on a computer that I use for DTP which runs
Fedora 11, not Debian like my other computer. It is not in the Fedora
11 repositories.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:10 AM
wolf python london

>Look into mupdf - a really lightweight PDF reader.

I downloaded the tar.gz file and untarred it, but could not figure out

how to install it. There is no .deb or .rpm file in the archive.

does it have a README file ?basically , the you can *uncompress the tar.gz file and*cd to the directory *./configure &&make &&make install .of course maybe the dependency is not solved automatically .

you should read the README file first .

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/20101009225121.38091ec6@mailhost.pdx.edu

--
________________________
wolf python london(WPL)* * *

Old 10-10-2010, 10:09 AM
Camaleón

On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 02:32:57 +0200, Memnon Anon wrote:

> I've been using xpdf for a looong time, and I never had a problem,
> except that it can be a bit slow on my old machine.
>
> So today, I tested evince and epdfview, but some pdfs (all from the same
> source) which are perfectly fine in xpdf are hardly legible.

(...)

Install MS TrueType fonts (copy/paste .ttf files from a windows system)
and you are done.

For people working in design business, arbitrarily font replacing/
substitution is a "no-no". When a designer say "this block of text has to
be Arial, 8pt" as soon as you replace the font with Tahoma (for example)
it could render the whole document in a wrong way.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 10-10-2010, 02:46 PM
Celejar

On Sat, 9 Oct 2010 22:51:21 -0700
John Jason Jordan <johnxj@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 10 Oct 2010 01:15:00 -0400
> Celejar <celejar@gmail.com> dijo:
>
> >Look into mupdf - a really lightweight PDF reader.
>
> I downloaded the tar.gz file and untarred it, but could not figure out
> how to install it. There is no .deb or .rpm file in the archive.
>
> Note: I want to install it on a computer that I use for DTP which runs
> Fedora 11, not Debian like my other computer. It is not in the Fedora
> 11 repositories.

Oh. I installed it from the Debian (Sid) repos.

Celejar