Old 10-09-2010, 07:26 PM
Roman Khomasuridze

Default Moving Debian installation to another partition.

Hello kind people.

The story is, that I want to install FreeBSD on my computer, but unfortunately i don't have spare primary partition (only logical one), and as freBSD documentation says, I can only install it on primary partition, so I'm thinking to move my current Debian installatin from primary partiion to logical one.

here is my fdisk -l

/dev/sda1** *********** 1******* 2610*** 20964793+** 7* HPFS/NTFS
/dev/sda2*********** 2611******* 3656**** 8401995** 83* Linux
/dev/sda3*********** 3657******* 3899**** 1951897+* 82* Linux swap / Solaris

/dev/sda4*********** 3900****** 38913** 281249924+** 5* Extended
/dev/sda5*********** 3900******* 4872**** 7815591** 83* Linux
/dev/sda6*********** 4873****** 38913** 273434301** 83* Linux

Debian is on dev/sda2, i'm moving it to /dev/sda5

After some research and thinking(!), my plan is to do following steps:

1. mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
2. cp -ax /* /mnt
3. modify /mnt/boot/grub/menu.lst
4. modify /mnt/etc/fstab

So, am I missing something? Will these four steps be enough?

My current Debian install is approx 2 years old, and I don't want to screw it up.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance!!

Regards
-------------
Roman

Old 10-09-2010, 09:46 PM
Greg Madden

On Saturday 09 October 2010 11:26:53 Roman Khomasuridze wrote:
> Hello kind people.
>
> The story is, that I want to install FreeBSD on my computer, but
> unfortunately i don't have spare primary partition (only logical one), and
> as freBSD documentation says, I can only install it on primary partition,
> so I'm thinking to move my current Debian installatin from primary partiion
> to logical one.
>
> here is my fdisk -l
>

> /dev/sda1 * 1 2610 20964793+ 7 HPFS/NTFS
> /dev/sda2 2611 3656 8401995 83 Linux
> /dev/sda3 3657 3899 1951897+ 82 Linux swap /
> Solaris /dev/sda4 3900 38913 281249924+ 5 Extended
> /dev/sda5 3900 4872 7815591 83 Linux
> /dev/sda6 4873 38913 273434301 83 Linux
>
> Debian is on dev/sda2, i'm moving it to /dev/sda5
>
> After some research and thinking(!), my plan is to do following steps:
>
> 1. mount /dev/sda5 /mnt
> 2. cp -ax /* /mnt
> 3. modify /mnt/boot/grub/menu.lst
> 4. modify /mnt/etc/fstab
>
> So, am I missing something? Will these four steps be enough?
> My current Debian install is approx 2 years old, and I don't want to screw
> it up.
>
> Any suggestions are greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance!!

I have managed grub and mbr for dual boots of Debian, have not used the -ax'
method for moving an install.

Have a plan for managing grub, changing grub.menu.lst you will still need
to 'update-grub' to have the changes propagated to the mbr or wherever you plan
to have it.

Decide which OS manages the boot loader, this will determine whether to install
grub to mbr or partition.

I don't know what BSD uses for a boot manager but being able to
run 'update-grub' from Debian after the BSD install will add BSD to Debians
grub menu.

--
Peace,

Greg

Old 10-09-2010, 10:37 PM
Roman Khomasuridze

Thanks for reply..
well, I'm not planning to touch MBR, GRUB, or whatever, my main goal at this stage is to move Debian system from one*partition*to another*safely, *without issues.Also, second question*raised, after moving Debian to another partition (thus moving menu.lst), won't GRUB fail to load? Will 'update-grub' be enough, or will I need to reinstall it?

Regards-------------Roman

Archive: http://lists.debian.org/201010091346.44126.gomadtroll@gci.net

Old 10-11-2010, 12:45 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Roman Khomasuridze wrote:

[...]

I would use mondo to do all this. It will burn a DVD for you while you
are using the sda2 partition. Then you boot that DVD and restore to sda5
and it will guide you through the menu.lst and fstab changes and you
have a backup to boot.

Hugo