Old 10-09-2010, 02:46 PM
abdelkader belahcene

Default how to enable sound

Hi,
I am using squeeze
I tried to enable the login sound,
cnaberra is installed,
It is done (on the same machine !!)* in ubuntu without problem, but not on debian, I ot this* error :

canberra-gtk-play -f* t/usr/share/sounds/sabily/desktop-login.ogg
Failed to play sound: Sound disabled

I can hear the sound, and play different codecs ( avi, mp3 ....)

I tried** to activate ( I suppose it disable, although I can paly sound !!!!) the sound* from theme in gnome-preferences-sound,*

but it is grayed no possiblity to do it!!!

thanks for help

Old 10-09-2010, 09:10 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 15:46:16 +0100, abdelkader belahcene wrote:

(please, don't cross-post)

> I am using squeeze
> I tried to enable the login sound,
> cnaberra is installed,
> It is done (on the same machine !!) in ubuntu without problem, but not
> on debian, I ot this error :
>

> canberra-gtk-play -f t/usr/share/sounds/sabily/desktop-login.ogg Failed
> to play sound: Sound disabled
>
> I can hear the sound, and play different codecs ( avi, mp3 ....)
>

> I tried to activate ( I suppose it disable, although I can paly sound
> !!!!) the sound from theme in gnome-preferences-sound, but it is grayed
> no possiblity to do it!!!

Squeeze here, and sounds can be enabled (see linked snapshot):

http://picpaste.com/sounds-rHbtyPAw.png

Hint: try to force-load using gconf editor:

/desktop/gnome/sound/[x] event_sounds

Anyway, I hear no system sounds even I've enabled that setting (and relogin).

Moreover, I can only get sound when running this command as root user:

root@debian:~# canberra-gtk-play -f /usr/share/sounds/ekiga/ring.wav

And it plays the "ring", but running the same as plain user, I get:

test@debian:~$ canberra-gtk-play -f /usr/share/sounds/ekiga/ring.wav
Failed to play sound: File or data not found

:-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 10-11-2010, 01:45 PM
Zach Kriesse

Ah this is a mailing list for Ubuntu Documentation...not debian troubleshooting.

Cheers!
Zach K

Old 10-11-2010, 02:57 PM
Tom Davies

For Debian advice this distrowatch page links you to documentation and help
forums
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=debian

Another good forum is
http://www.linuxquestions.org

Please can we try to help people rather than just telll them they are wrong?*
This is not Windows-land after-all!
Good luck and regards from
Tom

Old 10-11-2010, 04:42 PM
Wayne Topa

For Debian advice this distrowatch page links you to documentation and help
forums
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=debian

Another good forum is
http://www.linuxquestions.org

Please can we try to help people rather than just telll them they are wrong?
This is not Windows-land after-all!
Good luck and regards from
Tom

+1