Old 10-09-2010, 10:51 AM
Johan

Default Howto add autostartup applications

Good day,

On the internet I was informed to use update-rc.d.

According the man page..:
EXAMPLES
Insert links using the defaults:
update-rc.d foobar defaults

This is what I get..:

unknown001e33032a68:/home/johan# whereis gkrellm
gkrellm: /usr/bin/gkrellm /usr/share/man/man1/gkrellm.1.gz

unknown001e33032a68:/home/johan# update-rc.d /usr/bin/gkrellm defaults
update-rc.d: /etc/init.d//usr/bin/gkrellm: file does not exist

unknown001e33032a68:/home/johan# update-rc.d gkrellm defaults
update-rc.d: /etc/init.d/gkrellm: file does not exist

unknown001e33032a68:/home/johan#

Please what is wrong.
Thanks
Johan

Archive: 4CB0494D.4030208@telkomsa.net">http://lists.debian.org/4CB0494D.4030208@telkomsa.net

Old 10-09-2010, 11:01 AM
Timo Juhani Lindfors

Johan <johansche@telkomsa.net> writes:
> On the internet I was informed to use update-rc.d.

That is not suitable for programs that run as normal user. It is meant
only for programs that are specifically meant to be run in the background.

Are you using GNOME?

Old 10-09-2010, 11:06 AM
Johan

Timo Juhani Lindfors wrote:

Johan <johansche@telkomsa.net> writes:

On the internet I was informed to use update-rc.d.

That is not suitable for programs that run as normal user. It is meant
only for programs that are specifically meant to be run in the background.

Are you using GNOME?

Yes I use Gnome

Archive: 4CB04CC8.9050008@telkomsa.net">http://lists.debian.org/4CB04CC8.9050008@telkomsa.net

Old 10-09-2010, 11:07 AM
Camaleón

On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 12:51:57 +0200, Johan wrote:

> On the internet I was informed to use update-rc.d.

(...)

For starting "gkrellm" when booting? :-?

Applications are not services.

You can launch "gkrellm" by going to "system → prefs → sessions →
startup" and adding a new entry that points to the binary "/usr/bin/
gkrellm".

If you are using another desktop different than GNOME your mileage may
vary.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 10-09-2010, 11:20 AM
Johan

Camaleón wrote:

On the internet I was informed to use update-rc.d.

(...)

For starting "gkrellm" when booting? :-?

Applications are not services.

You can launch "gkrellm" by going to "system → prefs → sessions →
startup" and adding a new entry that points to the binary "/usr/bin/

gkrellm".

If you are using another desktop different than GNOME your mileage may
vary.

Greetings,

Thanks. Johan

Archive: 4CB04FFF.4070804@telkomsa.net">http://lists.debian.org/4CB04FFF.4070804@telkomsa.net

Old 10-09-2010, 07:28 PM
Brian Ryans

Quoting Camaleón on 2010-10-09 06:07:19:
> You can launch "gkrellm" by going to "system → prefs → sessions →
> startup" and adding a new entry that points to the binary "/usr/bin/
> gkrellm".

Wouldn't putting a .desktop file in ~/.config/autostart serve to make
the program autostart on _any_ XDG-compliant system? That's what I'm
getting from reading the spec (though it's marked Draft currently)

http://standards.freedesktop.org/autostart-spec/autostart-spec-latest.html

--
_ Brian Ryans 8B2A 54C4 E275 8CFD 8A7D 5D0B 0AD0 B014 C112 13D0 .
( ) ICQ 43190205 | Mail/Jabber/Yahoo/MSN: BrianLRyans@gmail.com ..:

Old 10-09-2010, 08:07 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 09 Oct 2010 14:28:01 -0500, Brian Ryans wrote:

> Quoting Camaleón on 2010-10-09 06:07:19:
>> You can launch "gkrellm" by going to "system → prefs → sessions →
>> startup" and adding a new entry that points to the binary "/usr/bin/
>> gkrellm".
>
> Wouldn't putting a .desktop file in ~/.config/autostart serve to make
> the program autostart on _any_ XDG-compliant system? That's what I'm
> getting from reading the spec (though it's marked Draft currently)
>
> http://standards.freedesktop.org/autostart-spec/autostart-spec-latest.html

And that is _exactly_ what you get by following the instructions I
provided (which is one of the benefits of using a Freedesktop compliant
DE like GNOME).

In brief: "All roads lead to Rome" ;-)

Greetings,

--