Old 10-08-2010, 10:00 AM
"jeetu.golani@gmail.com"

Default garbled essid - (was - Intel Wireless 4965AGN in ad-hoc mode)

Hi,

Managed to figure out why the essid was coming up garbled when putting my wireless card in ad-hoc mode. Apparently NetworkManager seems to be playing a role in some way. I turned off Network Manager before putting the card in ad-hoc mode and it works Just in case someone runs into this in the future, the steps I followed are as follows:

$ /etc/init.d/network-manager stop
$ ifconfig wlan0 down
$ iwconfig wlan0 mode ad-hoc
$ iwconfig wlan0 essid "xyz"
$ ifconfig wlan0 up
$ iwconfig wlan0 essid "xyz"

Thanks everyone

Jeetu
http://ebrain.in
- Pool in all the software on disparate devices around you. Discover and use software on any device around you.