Old 10-08-2010, 12:21 AM
"Thomas H. George"

Default Excellent bootable usb - How to Duplicate?

I created this bootable 4Gb usb stick: Debian Lenny, 2.6.25.15 kernel.
gnome, wacom mouse installed, network connection ok.
one partition, 1.4Gb used and 2.5Gb available.

I did it a year ago and I have lost my notes. I know that the creation
involved a mixure of Debian Live and debxo (One Laptop per Child)

How can I create clones of this usb stick?

Tom

Old 10-08-2010, 01:40 AM
Ron Johnson

I created this bootable 4Gb usb stick: Debian Lenny, 2.6.25.15 kernel.
gnome, wacom mouse installed, network connection ok.
one partition, 1.4Gb used and 2.5Gb available.

I did it a year ago and I have lost my notes. I know that the creation
involved a mixure of Debian Live and debxo (One Laptop per Child)

How can I create clones of this usb stick?

dd?

--
Seek truth from facts.

Archive: 4CAE7683.3080001@cox.net">http://lists.debian.org/4CAE7683.3080001@cox.net

Old 10-08-2010, 01:31 PM
"Thomas H. George"

On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 08:40:19PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 10/07/2010 07:21 PM, Thomas H. George wrote:
> >I created this bootable 4Gb usb stick: Debian Lenny, 2.6.25.15 kernel.
> >gnome, wacom mouse installed, network connection ok.
> >one partition, 1.4Gb used and 2.5Gb available.
> >
> >I did it a year ago and I have lost my notes. I know that the creation
> >involved a mixure of Debian Live and debxo (One Laptop per Child)
> >
> >How can I create clones of this usb stick?
> >

> dd?

When I tried dd it transferred all the files into a partition just large
enough to hold them - 97% full. There is free space for another
partition but this is a rather inflexible solution.

The stick has a single large partition with the operating system and a
slew of programs occupying a little more than a third of the space.
Additional programs can be installed if needed.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:11 PM
Camaleón

On Fri, 08 Oct 2010 09:31:53 -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 08:40:19PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

(...)

>> >How can I create clones of this usb stick?
>> >

>> dd?
>
> When I tried dd it transferred all the files into a partition just large
> enough to hold them - 97% full. There is free space for another
> partition but this is a rather inflexible solution.
>
> The stick has a single large partition with the operating system and a
> slew of programs occupying a little more than a third of the space.
> Additional programs can be installed if needed.

Clonezilla? :-?

It allows to dump the image over a network resource (ssh/samba) and can
be loaded from a LiveCD. It also can perform "disk-to-disk" clone.

Not sure if it will work for USB flash drives, though...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Old 10-08-2010, 06:25 PM
Bob McGowan

On 10/08/2010 06:31 AM, Thomas H. George wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 07, 2010 at 08:40:19PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
>> On 10/07/2010 07:21 PM, Thomas H. George wrote:
>>> I created this bootable 4Gb usb stick: Debian Lenny, 2.6.25.15 kernel.
>>> gnome, wacom mouse installed, network connection ok.
>>> one partition, 1.4Gb used and 2.5Gb available.
>>>
>>> I did it a year ago and I have lost my notes. I know that the creation
>>> involved a mixure of Debian Live and debxo (One Laptop per Child)
>>>
>>> How can I create clones of this usb stick?
>>>

>> dd?
>
> When I tried dd it transferred all the files into a partition just large
> enough to hold them - 97% full. There is free space for another
> partition but this is a rather inflexible solution.
>
> The stick has a single large partition with the operating system and a
> slew of programs occupying a little more than a third of the space.
> Additional programs can be installed if needed.

--deleted stuff--

The command you ran should have looked something like this:

dd if=/dev/sd? of=/dev/sd? bs=1024K

where sd? would be something like sdc and sdd, respectively. You may or
may not have used the bs= as there is a default for it.

What device names did you use? To use dd and get the "whole" stick,
including partition table setup, you need the whole disk device name, a
single file name. But, you said "...it transferred all the files ...",
which leaves me wondering how you did the input spec for dd.

--
Bob McGowan